Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GET YOUR MONEY TOGETHER!!! (New Dillon XL750)

12 hours ago, jejb said:

I had some issues on my 650 with this when I first got it. Called Dillon about it and they walked me through some adjustments. The one that fixed it was the little spring loaded finger that holds the case in the primer station. It was pushing too hard against the case and not letting the case "find" its center. There is an allen screw adjustment for it. Needs a little gap.

It's been almost flawless since getting that dialed.

jejb, you just jogged my memory. I had this exact problem very early on with my 650 and had completely forgotten until you posted.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was going to buy another 650 anyway...soon.

But Dillon just moved up my timeline for me.

I went through my gunclub's contact Sunday night to order my second 650.  And a casefeeder.  And a large rifle casefeeder plate.

The Graf's truck made a delivery at the range on Friday.

I picked it all up Saturday morning.

😀

4 hours ago, Chills1994 said:

I was going to buy another 650 anyway...soon.

But Dillon just moved up my timeline for me.

I went through my gunclub's contact Sunday night to order my second 650.  And a casefeeder.  And a large rifle casefeeder plate.

The Graf's truck made a delivery at the range on Friday.

I picked it all up Saturday morning.

😀

Why not the 750?

3 hours ago, MarilynMonbro said:

Why not the 750?

If I were in the market for a new Dillon, I think I'd wait before buying a 750.  Any new product is going to have teething problems and I wouldn't want to be a Beta tester for the 750.  The XL650 is a known quantity with its strengths and minor weaknesses well established so you know what you are getting.   The 750 has yet to prove itself.

3 minutes ago, SteelCityShooter said:

If I were in the market for a new Dillon, I think I'd wait before buying a 750.  Any new product is going to have teething problems and I wouldn't want to be a Beta tester for the 750.  The XL650 is a known quantity with its strengths and minor weaknesses well established so you know what you are getting.   The 750 has yet to prove itself.

My thoughts exactly.  I called Dillon yesterday.  They told me they still have some 650s in stock, but I am not sure I am going to go that route given the problems I've had with the 650 in the past.  I actually like the 550 priming system.  It's finicky, but I can work with that.  The 650 priming system used to send me into a fit of rage.  I know guys here like it just fine, but my experience wasn't that.

7 hours ago, SteelCityShooter said:

I was deciding between the 550 or 650 a couple weeks ago and decided to go with the 650.  I'm coming from a turret press. I think I'm okay with being an early adopter of the 750.  Hope I don't make a mistake lol

8 hours ago, CSEMARTIN said:

My thoughts exactly.  I called Dillon yesterday.  They told me they still have some 650s in stock, but I am not sure I am going to go that route given the problems I've had with the 650 in the past.  I actually like the 550 priming system.  It's finicky, but I can work with that.  The 650 priming system used to send me into a fit of rage.  I know guys here like it just fine, but my experience wasn't that.

There was a time when the 650 sent me into a rage too.

I'll post a picture later.

I have mellowed since then.

Lately, I have been on a reloading .223 "kick".

From a technique or procedure standpoint, I am probably doing it totally bass ackwards.  My .223 reloads have been 55 grainers over 25.0 grains of H335.  To dial in the Dillon powder measure, I have been running prepped cases through the 650 like normal,  but NOT seating the first few with bullets.  When a charged, bullet-less case gets to station #5, I remove the charged cases from stations #5; #4, and #3 and dump their  powder into the scale's pan.  With each dump, I am hoping to see the scale read 25.0, then 50.0 and lastly 75.0  Then I take all three primed cases and throw them back into the casefeeders's hopper.

Soooo...eventually, an already primed case makes it to station #2 where I can feel that it has already been primed.

In turn, a primer eventually drops out of the 650's primer carousel and down the ski jump.  I have resorted to wrapping the bottom of the ski jump in packaging tape in order to contain all the primers.  When I am ready to re-use those primers, I just place an akrobin under the ski jump, remove the tape, and use my fingers to sweep the primers off the end of the ski jump and into the akrobin.  Then I "stab" them with a primer pick up tube.

Since I am using Lake City brass and the Swage It tool to remove the primer crimps...I  am still new to using it...some pieces of brass end up not getting primed at station #2.  Then I end up with this trail of powder as the case makes its way to station #3 and #4.  H335 meters like granulated sugar and quickly funnels out through the flashole and around the shellplate.

Soooo....what would have  been really nice on the 650...or any progressive press for that matter really ...would be a primer "lockout".  Just some spring loaded pin  that goes under the shellplate.  If a primer-less case is about to rotate from station #2 to #3, the pin pops up into the  empty primer pocket and keeps the shellplate from rotating or advancing.  It would be set up in such a way that the shellplate can be rotated back slightly to remove the case that is about to spill powder everywhere.

Anywhooo....I have mentioned here in this thread already, but the 550's priming finicky-ness would be almost completely eliminated if it didn't drop all that used primer crap all over where it is about to install fresh primers.

On 8/2/2019 at 12:23 AM, Sarge said:

Odd. I have never had a flipped primer and any that don’t seat fall down the ramp every time.

You should call Dillon. I would.

I have also had this issue repeatedly, as well as lots of spilled powder. Went through my 650 and cleaned the primer system as well as everything else that could be cleaned and it still spills powder everywhere and I still get sideways primers. 

56 minutes ago, Sfisch0311 said:

I have also had this issue repeatedly, as well as lots of spilled powder. Went through my 650 and cleaned the primer system as well as everything else that could be cleaned and it still spills powder everywhere and I still get sideways primers. 

Where is the powder spillage happening? The snapping shell plate? I put a bearing on mine and tightened the plate until it barely turns by hand. Indexes smooth as silk.

Sideways primers. If I couldn't fix that by making the bench solid enough to park a car on I would call Dillon and see what they would be willing to send you to try and fix it. My bench is made of multiple 2X4's attached to three walls with a kitchen counter top mounted on top of 3/4" plywood. Bullets and brass are stored on the bottom shelf underneath. Suffice it to say, it does not move during loading. LOL

17 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Where is the powder spillage happening? The snapping shell plate? I put a bearing on mine and tightened the plate until it barely turns by hand. Indexes smooth as silk.

Sideways primers. If I couldn't fix that by making the bench solid enough to park a car on I would call Dillon and see what they would be willing to send you to try and fix it. My bench is made of multiple 2X4's attached to three walls with a kitchen counter top mounted on top of 3/4" plywood. Bullets and brass are stored on the bottom shelf underneath. Suffice it to say, it does not move during loading. LOL

I have it mounted to a Craftsmen work bench. Solid as hell. I’ve had this issue since I got the press. Just thought it was a thing. Lol

26 minutes ago, Sfisch0311 said:

I have it mounted to a Craftsmen work bench. Solid as hell. I’ve had this issue since I got the press. Just thought it was a thing. Lol

Nah...

14 hours ago, Sfisch0311 said:

size and prime 20 cases or so and take primer actuator off press try and run through them and see if you still have powder spillage that may be a seperate issue

On 8/1/2019 at 6:20 PM, m700 said:

Anyone see if this has lifetime warranty. I noticed on 650 page they have a big no BS lifetime warranty. The 1050 says 1 year the 750 says nothing

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Mine was delivered today.   Lifetime "No B.S." Warranty is part of the deal with a 750.

7yVdJ4f.jpg

So tempted to get one of these. But I think that's just because I'm always tempted by the latest toys. I think I'm going to wait a while to see what bugs pop up - and what solutions you guys come up with to solve those bugs. I know the 650 well enough at this point, that there are don't seem to be any surprises left. I'm sure this will be a great press in the end.

On 8/6/2019 at 11:45 AM, DubfromGA said:

Mine was delivered today.   Lifetime "No B.S." Warranty is part of the deal with a 750.

7yVdJ4f.jpg

Well you’ve had it 3 days let’s hear the news.

On 7/30/2019 at 7:37 PM, Derek45 said:

I've had the 550b and XL650 for several years.

I think the XL650 primer system is MUCH better than the 550

At this point, I plan on keeping my trusty beloved XL650

I went from a 550 which I hated because of the primer system, to a Square Deal B which worked well but it’s nothing special. The 650 feels amazing to me, I bought a little tool from eBay to disconnect the primer system and it works perfectly this eliminating the ski jump issue completely. 

Don’t see myself replacing this puppy any day to go back to the constant cleaning the primer station, 650 all the way for me. 

The new xl750 put L.D. the priming at station 2 which should eliminate the debris issue that the 550 has. I’m curious to get some feed back from people who have been running this new xl750. What do you like and don’t like and is it worth getting over the xl650. 

On 8/5/2019 at 8:45 PM, Sfisch0311 said:

You bench isn’t entirely static. If you screw it into the studs of the wall. I guarantee you’ll see a difference in the press’s performance.

There’s a reason several of veteran 650 owners asked about / suggested this for flipped primers.

Edited by MemphisMechanic