Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alliant sport pistol powder

ghost21

I load 9mm minor with it.  It's a good powder, but there are actually quite a few good powders out there for 9mm minor if you have trouble getting a hold of this stuff.  It's not as dense as Titegroup so takes more volume to get the load you want.  Some people consider this a plus but Titegroup's density and small charge volume was never an issue with me..  It's not a straight weight for weight replacement either.  It takes a little more.  For 135 gr 9mm I load 3.4 gr Titegroup to get the PF I desire.  With Sport Pistol I have to load 3.55 gr to achieve the same result.  Sport Pistol has good case fill.  It seems to burn cooler and maybe have a little less smoke and it's not quite as dirty.  It meters very, very well and very consistently.  Some claim it's a poor man's N320 but I can't compare because I've never used N320.  I've been competing with 125 gr bullets lately and 3.85 gr of Sport Pistol give me plenty of PF and a very nice recoil impulse.  It does have some temperature sensitivity but not as much as Titegroup.  I've about used 4 lbs. of Sport Pistol since the fall and have 4 more lbs. coming.  I'm liking it so far.

Ghost

Search this website and you’ll find a lot of references to it. 

I recently purchased some and have been running it with ACME 147 FP and comparing to my normal Titegroup load. Right now the recoil and smoke seem the same and the cleanliness differences are still being judged. If it’s actually cleaner after a thousand rounds or so I’ll switch permanently to SP. 

6 minutes ago, funflyr said:

Is it as accurate as Titegroup?

For me about the same.  At the same PF, a 10-shot group of both powders via my Stock 2 @ 25-yds will render 2.5" to 3" groups, from a rest.  Both powders are more accurate with a little velocity behind them.  My 133-135 PF loads give the above mentioned grouping.  Both powders show decreased accuracy when you try to squeak by at 127 PF or so.  Both powders also get a better burn at the increased pressures.

17 minutes ago, BJB said:

For me about the same.  At the same PF, a 10-shot group of both powders via my Stock 2 @ 25-yds will render 2.5" to 3" groups, from a rest.  Both powders are more accurate with a little velocity behind them.  My 133-135 PF loads give the above mentioned grouping.  Both powders show decreased accuracy when you try to squeak by at 127 PF or so.  Both powders also get a better burn at the increased pressures.

Thanks for the info. I have seen it on the shelves but didn't know much about it.  

I have 16 lb of Titegroup to use up in 9mm so I have not tried  for Sport P for 9. I have gone to it exclusively for 40. 

It is a double base powder like TG but as advertised it produces far less smoke than TG and doesn't get the gun so hot. Meters well and costs half as much as N320. Believe me I would use N320 if I thought it better. Considering the money I spend shooting a little more for powder would never be the deciding factor. I just like it better than TG or N320.

Im so tired of shooting into the morning sun with TG and making so much smoke that I can't see the targets. I like Sport P and will eventually switch completely to it. My local  reloading supplier has been able to get it consistently at regular prices. Ive been through 12 lb and have 12 on the shelf now. Good stuff

7 hours ago, bveto said:

If your still looking for this powder check out Grafs, they have both the 1lb and 4lb in stock.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/76146

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/76147

Yes, Grafs has had it more often than not lately.  Right now Natchez has 1# & 4# too.

Have been using it for a few months. Meters well, and for me it has been way cleaner than TG.  Smoke is somewhat less with coated bullets, a lot less with Xtreme plated. 

A great powder. Cheap and reliable. 

Thanks guys, Just the information, I wanted. Im using N340 in 9mm, 40 and 45. Just looking for a good powder to get out a little cheaper on powder cost  and Sport P , seems like the way to go.

Getting ready to order a 4 #er from Grafs!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2019 at 7:03 PM, BJB said:

For me it's not as accurate as Tightgroup, I bought 8# of sport pistol and will use it up but sticking with Tightgroup for 9mm, Plus I get 8# of tightgroup for $100 (cash) till my supplier runs out. Most accurate powder for me in 9mm is Power Pistol, and VV N340

N330 is one of the best powders I have found ...but charge seems to have a small window it likes...5.0 gr😀 The faster you run Autocomp in minor loads the better and cleaner it gets.

Tom