Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alliant sport pistol powder

ghost21

This powder sucks. It is in no way a replacement to N320.

I chronoed 130-131pf at 90 degrees with 124 and 6" barrel. Same gun at 60 degrees chronoed exactly 125pf. Don't trust it. If it was 59 degrees and it was a match with a chrono I wouldn't have made it. 50fps over 30 degrees isn't acceptable.

For all the accounts of how clean this powder is, I'm using 3.9gr and the cases are all have a black band running down them, absolutely filthy compared to any factory ammo, the target holes are surrounded with a gray ring around every shot.

Maybe it's just the gun, maybe it's me, maybe it's the 1.14 OAL, maybe it's the three different types of primers, maybe while it sucks in every respect for me it'll work for you... I'm sure it'll work better for you, but I think this powder is absolute garbage.

If I needed something in a pinch locally, I'd probably reach for CFE Pistol next, but I'll stick with N320 as long as possible.

47 minutes ago, Bifurcate said:

This powder sucks. It is in no way a replacement to N320.

I chronoed 130-131pf at 90 degrees with 124 and 6" barrel. Same gun at 60 degrees chronoed exactly 125pf. Don't trust it. If it was 59 degrees and it was a match with a chrono I wouldn't have made it. 50fps over 30 degrees isn't acceptable.

For all the accounts of how clean this powder is, I'm using 3.9gr and the cases are all have a black band running down them, absolutely filthy compared to any factory ammo, the target holes are surrounded with a gray ring around every shot.

Maybe it's just the gun, maybe it's me, maybe it's the 1.14 OAL, maybe it's the three different types of primers, maybe while it sucks in every respect for me it'll work for you... I'm sure it'll work better for you, but I think this powder is absolute garbage.

If I needed something in a pinch locally, I'd probably reach for CFE Pistol next, but I'll stick with N320 as long as possible.

Handloads with mis-matched primers, wonders why chrono stats are garbage...

33 minutes ago, TrackCage said:

Handloads with mis-matched primers, wonders why chrono stats are garbage...

Yea. You're probably right!  Despite testing multiple times with S&B, Win, Federal primers all separately (no major differences in speeds).

Like I said, I'm sure it works great for you.

In the event future-me see this thread, maybe they'll know not to waste their time on this. But again, it probably works excellent in your gun.

I've been using this since its introduction with no problems and excellent results.   My OALs are much shorter (CZs) with Brazos and Precision coated 124g,  so less case space with 3.8 to 4.0g.  With RMR jacketed 124g I run 4.2g. Federal primers. I've never seen seen dirty cases which usually mean poor seal from low pressure.   Try upping the charge a bit.

1 hour ago, GMP said:

I've been using this since its introduction with no problems and excellent results.   My OALs are much shorter (CZs) with Brazos and Precision coated 124g,  so less case space with 3.8 to 4.0g.  With RMR jacketed 124g I run 4.2g. Federal primers. I've never seen seen dirty cases which usually mean poor seal from low pressure.   Try upping the charge a bit.

I'm out of the test pound, not going to open another.

HOWEVER... I have a little left. Instead of loading at 29mm, I'll load at 27 and 28mm to see if the filthiness changes a bit. But, betweem the losing 40-50fps at 30º delta and the dirt, I'm not expecting magic. I'll remain open minded, but I don't want to load much shorter than 28mm (1.10").

On 8/12/2019 at 10:07 PM, Bifurcate said:

I chronoed 130-131pf at 90 degrees with 124 and 6" barrel. Same gun at 60 degrees chronoed exactly 125pf.

Wow that's a lot. I did not record temperature, but I did measure velocity in December and July, outdoors, and the difference was nowhere near that much. You're sure it's not the chrono?

1 hour ago, Bifurcate said:

I'm out of the test pound, not going to open another.

HOWEVER... I have a little left. Instead of loading at 29mm, I'll load at 27 and 28mm to see if the filthiness changes a bit. But, betweem the losing 40-50fps at 30º delta and the dirt, I'm not expecting magic. I'll remain open minded, but I don't want to load much shorter than 28mm (1.10").

The dirtiness alone tells me something is wrong here.  I process my own brass as well as pickup stuff and for sure mine is cleaner than average, from four different guns.  I've seen plenty of blackened cases but none were mine, usually from Titegroup.  If you need to load longer for feeding up the charge,  if not nothing wrong with a bit more bullet in the case for a 124g. 

1 hour ago, lstange said:

Wow that's a lot. I did not record temperature, but I did measure velocity in December and July, outdoors, and the difference was nowhere near that much. You're sure it's not the chrono?

Well... That's the rub isn't it!? I tested three chronos over 80-95 degrees, always approx 1040-1050. Then at 60 degrees and it goes sub-minor with range dual chrono setup. So... while I could maybe say their chrono was slightly off, something else had to be going on. RM went on and on about her "certified ammo" (eyeroll).

21 minutes ago, GMP said:

The dirtiness alone tells me something is wrong here.  I process my own brass as well as pickup stuff and for sure mine is cleaner than average, from four different guns.  I've seen plenty of blackened cases but none were mine, usually from Titegroup.  If you need to load longer for feeding up the charge,  if not nothing wrong with a bit more bullet in the case for a 124g. 

I feel ya. But I'm not about to load more/hotter to get it cleaner. I'm between min and max. I'll retest moving from 29mm to 28mm. But unless they miraculously come out clean, I'm just done with this stuff.

I would be willing to accept a slightly unexepected temp sensitivity, or dirty rounds - but not both.

What's funny is I absolutely hate n320 and have only ever had terrible results with it. Yep sport pistol works great for me. 

There are so many variables in it I have a hard time trying to really believe it is all to be laid at the fault of the powder alone.

Full disclosure I have received free sport pistol from alliant.

• 1 month later...

Just ordered 5lbs from Brownells. There is a rebate of $2/ pound when you buy 4+ pounds. And Brownells had 1¢ hazmat and free shipping.

Plus picked up 5000 Federal primers with a rebate as well.

Looks like I'm going to be busy this winter.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk