Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Farthest shot in a uspsa match

RJH

I saw on a different thread that there were 75 yard poppers in a uspsa match, the farthest i have seen personally  were a zone plates at 50 yards. It also seems like there is a classifier with 40 or 50 yard shots on paper that i have shot, but i can't remember for sure. So, what is the longest shots you have seen at a uspsa match (not multigun)?

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

50 yards for paper, 40 yards for small popper, 35 yards for a plate rack, 25 yards for a head shot only.

yeah i sorta remember doing a fixed time classifier, paper at 50 yds, wasn't my favorite stage...

Yesterday we had a head shot at 20 yards and a couple of 8" steel plates partially obscured by barrels (about 1/2 visible) at around 30 yards.  I think the no-shoot under the head shot psyched out a few shooters that didn't know there holds.

A good match (especially for PCC shooters).

(If you really needed it, the steel were available at shorter distances but the extra movement ate up a lot of time,)

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Didn't A3 quite awhile back have a standards stage what included full-size paper targets out to 75 yards, back when Manny was running it?  (2008?  2009?)

40-45 yard poppers are a common thing at the current A3 yearly match.  I've shot 40-45 yard paper and poppers at locals.  (Not well, but I've shot AT them.  :) )

Area 3 many years ago had a couple of pepper poppers that could be engaged at 70+ yards.  Was the smart plan.  I even had a bunch of guys over and practiced some.  One of my buds nailed both with 1 shot each, I couldn't hit either!  Lot of good practicing it did me.

At a club match many, many years ago before Dots we had a series of targets at 100 yards.  I got'em all that time.

Usually 50 yds is a long shot, might see a lot of 35 yard and under even as partial targets.   But sometimes....

9 hours ago, Thomas H said:

Didn't A3 quite awhile back have a standards stage what included full-size paper targets out to 75 yards, back when Manny was running it?  (2008?  2009?)

40-45 yard poppers are a common thing at the current A3 yearly match.  I've shot 40-45 yard paper and poppers at locals.  (Not well, but I've shot AT them.  :) )

See above they were Pepper Poppers.  Manny supposedly at the time would end each of his practice sessions shooting at 75 yard steel.

Edited by pskys2

16 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Area 3 many years ago had a couple of pepper poppers that could be engaged at 70+ yards.  Was the smart plan.  I even had a bunch of guys over and practiced some.  One of my buds nailed both with 1 shot each, I couldn't hit either!  Lot of good practicing it did me.

At a club match many, many years ago before Dots we had a series of targets at 100 yards.  I got'em all that time.

Usually 50 yds is a long shot, might see a lot of 35 yard and under even as partial targets.   But sometimes....

This is awesome.

I love shooting handguns at longer ranges; would like to see poppers at 100yds... not every club can access 100yd bays, but even 50yd US poppers would be great..

The fear/opposition is that it would alienate new shooters, but I think having it on one stage once in a while would actually broaden their perspectives on accuracy/capabilities of a handgun.

9 minutes ago, StealthyBlagga said:

And folks wonder why "shooting a rifle in a pistol match"" has so much appeal... it's because these are not problems that should be solved with a pistol 😐

All the long shots i have seen predated pcc.  But I do think anything over 50 yards is really a bit too far.  But i would shoot it at ant distance (or at least try too) and have fun.

10 minutes ago, StealthyBlagga said:

And folks wonder why "shooting a rifle in a pistol match"" has so much appeal... it's because these are not problems that should be solved with a pistol 😐

Oh, let's all be honest, the appeal has hardly to do with longshots. 

Also, for practical purposes, most do not cc a carbine. For the lack of frequency (a couple of shots out of 100s), Id say it would match the frequency/rarity that necessity would dictate.

However, such long shots were practically necessary, recently, to end real threats, with a handgun.

4 minutes ago, rishii said:

This is the match director in me

how long does it take to reset 70 popper shots and tape targets at +50 yards

To me this may be the biggest issue. Unless you are doing a walk up type stage and shooting two shooters at a time and even that is a time suck

8 minutes ago, rishii said:

This is the match director in me

how long does it take to reset 70 popper shots and tape targets at +50 yards

Golf cart/atv/utv, if you have access to it... 

2 hours ago, StealthyBlagga said:

lol, I think it's just because most people are too lazy to practice enough to solve them with a pistol.