Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Farthest shot in a uspsa match

RJH

34 minutes ago, rishii said:

This is the match director in me

how long does it take to reset 70 popper shots and tape targets at +50 yards

Remember the one's I've seen were always part of a field course.  So the Area 3 COF itself was about 50+ yards, the reset of the targets were over a 20 yd x 30 yd area if I remember correct.  And the poppers were back near probably 8+ targets.  It was a shoot long save an extra 20 yd sprint or take the extra run.

It took a little bit longer than normal, ended up backing the squads up as you imagined, but was fun.

20 hours ago, pskys2 said:

See above they were Pepper Poppers.  Manny supposedly at the time would end each of his practice sessions shooting at 75 yard steel.

No, you are talking about a different stage.  ( I'm not disagreeing that there were also some poppers at that distance.)  But I recall paper targets on a Fixed Time stage out to that distance also, which is what I was talking about.

37 minutes ago, open17 said:

95 yd full size pepper popper at a club match.      One shot stage.    The low time was a Limited shooter.  Draw-aim-hit 2.6 seconds. No PCC

IIRC around 40%  zeroed it.

As I remember it, that was probably my good friend, Bob H., who hit it on his first shot with his Para .45, and then treated us to blowing the smoke off his index finger afterward, as well as crowing mightily at lunch after the match. As I recall, took me three shots because my dot was a couple of inches off to to the right at that distance - finally figured that out and aimed just on the left edge of the popper and got it. That's what I get for sighting in at 15 yards and calling it good!

2 hours ago, Thomas H said:

No, you are talking about a different stage.  ( I'm not disagreeing that there were also some poppers at that distance.)  But I recall paper targets on a Fixed Time stage out to that distance also, which is what I was talking about.

Ahh I don't remember shooting that, but I've not shot every Area 3😰.  The one I remember was a field course at the ENGC near Omaha, Neb.  Probably 1 or 2 before it went to Grand Island.

But then again I am getting up there in years, might be I just don't remember it?  Least what I keep telling the better half!

17 hours ago, open17 said:

95 yd full size pepper popper at a club match.      One shot stage.    The low time was a Limited shooter.  Draw-aim-hit 2.6 seconds. No PCC

I like it. I’ve always wanted to do a 2 shot stage—one paper at about 60, two rounds Virginia count. 

3 hours ago, HCH said:

I like it. I’ve always wanted to do a 2 shot stage—one paper at about 60, two rounds Virginia count. 

I set up a 2 stage club match once, 2nd stage was a medium range field course.

The first course was a 1 shot draw and fire on a 3 yard target.

I wanted everyone to get an idea of how fast they were compared to others.  Of course if you missed that first shot, looked at the target and said to yourself "how could I miss that", then shot an A, well the time wouldn't be that good even though that first sound was really fast!😜

Had a very good GM who I thought would be faster shoot the fastest scored time of .98 with an A.

It was fun though, for a second or two.

As to your plan I'd love it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2019 at 2:47 PM, open17 said:

It was only 85 yards but who's counting.

On 2/21/2019 at 8:13 AM, HCH said:

I really like mixing it up with stages stages like that. we did a 50yd turtle target, bill drill, 30 seconds fixed time stage once (fixed time is great for keeping the lower class shooters from zeroing a stage) it is interesting to see how people deal with things out side the ordinary, as I recall out of 90ish shooters we only had one perfect score.

Had a popper at about 50+ yards at the IPSC Europeans in 2016. 

Then a couple of paper at about 50 yards in the world shoot in France - I remember asking the RO "how freakin' far are those?" and he said "about 45 metres, which is ok...for a rifle" lol

Still got 'em though 🙂

46 minutes ago, Silver_Surfer said:

Agreed! Just because you can, should you?

Disagree with yall on this.

Do any of yall cc your rifle or pcc? 

There are practical reasons to have a 50yd target at a match. Some people live on big properties and some might take a 50yd shot. Good guys that are CIV have gotten into justified gunfights at 30yd to beyond 50yds. The LE couldnt hit the bad guys, but the CIV did.

If you need references, you can google. Bottom line, it has happened, it isnt that odd, and 99% of people do not cc a long gun or carbine. The frequency at which these longer targets turn up in matches (almost never) is darn fair.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you always should. But sometimes, you need to.

Edited by blueorison

6 hours ago, blueorison said:

Disagree with yall on this.

Do any of yall cc your rifle or pcc? 

There are practical reasons to have a 50yd target at a match. Some people live on big properties and some might take a 50yd shot. Good guys that are CIV have gotten into justified gunfights at 30yd to beyond 50yds. The LE couldnt hit the bad guys, but the CIV did.

If you need references, you can google. Bottom line, it has happened, it isnt that odd, and 99% of people do not cc a long gun or carbine. The frequency at which these longer targets turn up in matches (almost never) is darn fair.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you always should. But sometimes, you need to.

Oh you talking FO-REAL😬. no cc, not here in The Peoples Republic Of Hawaii🙄

2 hours ago, Silver_Surfer said:

Oh you talking FO-REAL😬. no cc, not here in The Peoples Republic Of Hawaii🙄

Well...

I mean either way, it's fun to have options. Close hoser targets? Yes pls. Far targets? Yes pls. In between the two distances? Yes, pls.

:D

On 2/19/2019 at 9:40 AM, Thomas H said:

Didn't A3 quite awhile back have a standards stage what included full-size paper targets out to 75 yards, back when Manny was running it?  (2008?  2009?)

yep,

I remember that, 2007 IIRC

Rolla Mo

On 3/7/2019 at 9:26 AM, MikeBurgess said:
On 2/20/2019 at 2:47 PM, open17 said:

It was only 85 yards but who's counting.

Factor in that the popper was 85 yards away in the bottom of an old quarry/pit - also significantly lower in elevation than the shooting position. Combined with the distance, that elevation change made for a very interesting shot (or shots)! But, who's counting? 😈