Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Something you should never do before a match....

wheelsthatgrip

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/28/2019 at 6:45 PM, regor said:

Not check the weather forecast and pack clothes/equipment for the best and worst scenarios for the day. 

I have definitely made this mistake and had to borrow coats and sweaters and such on 3 different occasions where I was really under dressed for how cold it was/I felt.

• 3 months later...

Don't be like my buddy Dave!

Go drinking till 2 the night before the State match.

Stop for coffee on the way to match after 3 hrs sleep.

Add 4 count 'em, 4 Expresso shots to your coffee.

Shake your way to your worst finish ever.

Realize after the match that you registered for the afternoon squad to shoot PCC!

Do not be like Dave

On 1/27/2019 at 3:32 PM, 45 Raven said:

Fail to double check your range bag contents (ammo, gun, holster, belt, mag carriers, hearing protection, magazines, etc.)

Sean Gaines started a really nice thread about exactly 8 years ago.  One of the many things he talks about is creating a check list.

Edited by CSEMARTIN
see above

On 1/27/2019 at 3:32 PM, 45 Raven said:

Worry about outcome instead of focusing on the process of shooting 

I see a lot of guys making this mistake.  For me, when the stage is over, it's over.  I don't dwell on it.  I don't think about it.  I just move on. 

This will make sense when you win a major by less than a second.  When the match is over, then you can dwell on your mistakes and try to learn something from it.  Don't do it during the match.  Nothing good can come of it.

• 6 months later...
On 2/1/2019 at 8:50 AM, Harpo said:

Agreed: Keep to your routine, or a known good routine, and that should help performance.
Personally, I enjoy a morning cup up of coffee, and it takes about 4 cups on an empty stomach to cause problems, so one or two cups with breakfast if fine.

I also know that my hands start shaking slightly when I haven't eaten. Solution: I keep snacks in my range bag.
Dehydration also kills energy, focus, and mental ability, so I always take plenty of water(it might be about a gallon, now that I think of it) and keep drinking on it throughout the day.

1 Vote...  Establish a pre match routine and stay with it.

been said before but will say it again, 

not preparing properly for the weather. Rain sucks especially in the desert where it can dump quick and hard. Plan on leaving my cheap frogg toggs in my truck.

also shoes.... my 5.11 shoes are vented, VERY well.... leaving boots and the rain stuff in my truck.

Ammo, dont rely on loading your match ammo the night before... pawls can break and your stuck with factory ammo.

• 2 weeks later...

dont forget to dress for success..

knee braces, good socks, great shoes for the terrain comfortable clothes that dont inhibit your rig. all things I lay out the night before. ( learned this working the range. it was shocking to me how many people fumble with clothes, have s#!t shoes on and slip, forget ortho stuff they normally wear, end up in pants in the middle of a vegas summer covered in sweat.)

• 3 months later...
On 1/29/2019 at 6:13 AM, gerritm said:

My son got me into the energy drink fad. Found a Monster drink that actually tasted good. Low calorie, said it was better than coffee. What could go wrong? Had one during the drive before a match along with my normal cup of coffee. Wow, had the shakes for 1/2 the match so bad I sucked. Couldn't concentrate. Never have your first one before a match.

gerritm

I think I know the one your talking about and that's literally my go to drink driving to a match.

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2019 at 4:13 AM, gerritm said:

My son got me into the energy drink fad. Found a Monster drink that actually tasted good. Low calorie, said it was better than coffee. What could go wrong? Had one during the drive before a match along with my normal cup of coffee. Wow, had the shakes for 1/2 the match so bad I sucked. Couldn't concentrate. Never have your first one before a match.

gerritm

Were your splits .0001 or did you get DQ for shooting a full auto?? 🤣🤣

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/26/2019 at 8:27 AM, CSEMARTIN said:

I see a lot of guys making this mistake.  For me, when the stage is over, it's over.  I don't dwell on it.  I don't think about it.  I just move on. 

This will make sense when you win a major by less than a second.  When the match is over, then you can dwell on your mistakes and try to learn something from it.  Don't do it during the match.  Nothing good can come of it.

This is so damn true~  dwelling on your mistakes or past doesn't produce anything positive.  

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, ChuckS said:

What type of beer would you suggest? :devil:

How about Root Beer?  

Drinking late into the night before a match?  Going to said match hungover?  I just don't get it.  I wouldn't want to be on a squad with someone who is hungover!

• 3 months later...