Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Something you should never do before a match....

wheelsthatgrip

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fail to hydrate

Fail to get a proper night's sleep

Fail to double check your range bag contents (ammo, gun, holster, belt, mag carriers, hearing protection, magazines, etc.)

Worry about outcome instead of focusing on the process of shooting 

Fail to allow yourself adequate travel time to the match (plus an extra buffer of time)

Don't drink a bunch of coffee on the way to the match, at least if you're shooting pistol.  It doesn't seem to make much of a difference to me when I'm shooting rifle (might even help, LOL) but accurately aiming a pistol with even a tiny bit of the caffeine shakes has been my downfall several times.  It took a couple bad matches with caffeine followed by good matches without caffeine followed by bad matches with caffeine for me to put two and two together to figure out, "Oh, yeah, there is a correlation..."

Edited by jkrispies

14 hours ago, jkrispies said:

Don't drink a bunch of coffee on the way to the match, at least if you're shooting pistol.  It doesn't seem to make much of a difference to me when I'm shooting rifle (might even help, LOL) but accurately aiming a pistol with even a tiny bit of the caffeine shakes has been my downfall several times.  It took a couple bad matches with caffeine followed by good matches without caffeine followed by bad matches with caffeine for me to put two and two together to figure out, "Oh, yeah, there is a correlation..."

I would say “don’t change your caffeine intake from your normal”. I shoot fine with 2-3 cups of coffee in me since that’s my normal morning routine. If I skipped the coffee, I’d probably be cranky and not able to focus for the first few stages. 

In fact, I’d say keeping your morning routine as normal as possible before a match is key. Don’t skip breakfast if you normally eat it, but don’t eat a huge breakfast if you normally don’t. Etc. 

3 hours ago, DKorn said:

I would say “don’t change your caffeine intake from your normal”. I shoot fine with 2-3 cups of coffee in me since that’s my normal morning routine. If I skipped the coffee, I’d probably be cranky and not able to focus for the first few stages. 

In fact, I’d say keeping your morning routine as normal as possible before a match is key. Don’t skip breakfast if you normally eat it, but don’t eat a huge breakfast if you normally don’t. Etc. 

I agree with this.  I drink a small cup of coffee to get me right.  Without coffee my concentration is lacking.  Too much coffee and I get a little shake in my hands.

8 hours ago, Bright said:

Too much coffee and I get a little shake in my hands.

This is my point when I say “a bunch of coffee” before the match is bad.   Now, if you get the shakes after only 24 hours of no coffee.... then.... maybe that’s a different discussion thread, lol.  

2 hours ago, jkrispies said:

This is my point when I say “a bunch of coffee” before the match is bad.   Now, if you get the shakes after only 24 hours of no coffee.... then.... maybe that’s a different discussion thread, lol.  

Oh, I definitely do.  :)

My son got me into the energy drink fad. Found a Monster drink that actually tasted good. Low calorie, said it was better than coffee. What could go wrong? Had one during the drive before a match along with my normal cup of coffee. Wow, had the shakes for 1/2 the match so bad I sucked. Couldn't concentrate. Never have your first one before a match.

gerritm

On 1/28/2019 at 8:39 AM, Bright said:

I agree with this.  I drink a small cup of coffee to get me right.  Without coffee my concentration is lacking.  Too much coffee and I get a little shake in my hands.

On 1/28/2019 at 10:07 AM, jdk129 said:

Concur! Keep the morning routine routine if at all possible.

Agreed: Keep to your routine, or a known good routine, and that should help performance.
Personally, I enjoy a morning cup up of coffee, and it takes about 4 cups on an empty stomach to cause problems, so one or two cups with breakfast if fine.

I also know that my hands start shaking slightly when I haven't eaten. Solution: I keep snacks in my range bag.
Dehydration also kills energy, focus, and mental ability, so I always take plenty of water(it might be about a gallon, now that I think of it) and keep drinking on it throughout the day.

Don't use a post hole digger pr t post pounder in the last couple of days before a match. My hands were pretty sore once because of it. I've had bad luck and cut my trigger finger before a match too.

On 1/28/2019 at 7:45 PM, regor said:

Not check the weather forecast and pack clothes/equipment for the best and worst scenarios for the day. 

Last Saturday I started the morning wearing a long sleeve thin wool under-layer, a thin but warm sweater over that, topped off with a heavy Carhardt coat. By the third stage I was sure glad I always keep a short-sleeve T-shirt in the car, as the temp soared and I was down to the T-shirt. 

6 hours ago, Jumprun13k said:

Dont eat Taco Bell on the way. 

Didnt happen to me, but a friend grabbed a burrito on the way to a weekly indoor match one evening. Thought she had some gas, turned out to be more of an explosive shart. 

Did the shot timer pick it up?