Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can the 650 or 1050 load while sitting?

in the market for a new press.  been loading on a lee loadmaster for years.  one thing i like about my LM was that i could load while sitting.  i prefer to do it this way as i can't stand long period without back pain.

All the vids i see people loading on dilion presses they are standing.  So can the 650 or 1050 be used while seated? 

Ii have both presses and you can load sitting. I find it very slow and ponderous sitting. I added strong mounts and stand. I'm 6'5" . Sitting or standing you'll be loading on a Dillon. If you can afford the 1050 having eveything happen on the downstroke is an advantage.

I sit while loading, I have the press bolted directly to the bench top and found the correct height stool and have zero issues. My last reloading session was 5k rounds over few days and had no back issues, no way I would have been able to stand the entire time if I had to.

• 2 weeks later...

My RL-1050 is mounted on a purpose built 32-1/2" high bench that I made.  I sit on a 29" high stool (Home Depot) and it works great for me (I'm 5'-11" tall).  I'm up high enough to see down into each case to verify powder, and pulling the handle seems very ergonomic.  I have a 550b on a strong mount on the other end of the same bench.  Coincidentally, both roller handles are at the same height so I use the same stool for loading on either.  Both are mounted a few inches too low to run them standing.

On 1/22/2019 at 12:40 PM, Dwbsig said:

I load sitting on a 550 and 1050. I have back problems and nerve damage in my feet that keeps me from standing very long. Both press’s are mounted straight on the benches.

this  is very close to the reason i set to load with seme presses. except  i can load with the 1050 standing for a short time using the handel in the short stroke position.

Bench is set at kitchen counter height. office chair for 550 and bar stool for 1050.