Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should USPSA provide a printed rulebook to its members?

TaterHead

3 minutes ago, Patrick Scott said:

This is the biggest reason I dont mind the change. No more "If its not in the rule book, it doesnt exsist." comments that I may have heard once or twice. 

Or it could be an infinitely changeable rule book,  that sounds fun, or not

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

while we're at it, can we go back to printed phone books? and car tires with tubes?

I think uspsa should sell a printed book for luddites,  and the rest of us can use the infinitely faster and more current electronic version. I imagine we'll install them on the scoring devices our club uses so I won't have to 'wave my $1000 phone around' and risk it getting eaten by an angry badger.

I  will take that luddite version,  I also like phone books and was really wanting one  the other day when I had no signal, but did have a landline. Difference is i was able to go get a paper phone  book for free,  can't even get a paper rule book with my paid membership,  not to mention the classifier fees and activity fees i pay, and apparently being an ro don't  help me no either. But to be honest I am probably done being an ro anyway 

5 minutes ago, RJH said:

Or it could be an infinitely changeable rule book,  that sounds fun, or not

IF that were to happen at least it would be easier to keep up with than all the separate rullings we had floating around before that hardly anyone knew about or even cared to keep up with. 

1 minute ago, Patrick Scott said:

IF that were to happen at least it would be easier to keep up with than all the separate rullings we had floating around before that hardly anyone knew about or even cared to keep up with. 

What do you mean if, probably the only thing that slowed them down in the past was a hard copy

14 minutes ago, RJH said:

What do you mean if, probably the only thing that slowed them down in the past was a hard copy

Well, I guess we can't have it both ways. Maybe neither way is the "best", but I prefer to have all the rules current and in once place. It also seems that this is the most cost effective way to do that. 

4 minutes ago, Patrick Scott said:

Well, I guess we can't have it both ways. Maybe neither way is the "best", but I prefer to have all the rules current and in once place. It also seems that this is the most cost effective way to do that. 

I have no  issue with a digital rule book, but do think a paper one should be available.  Also  the book should be hard to update, not easy.  The problem now is that updates have become the standard instead of the exception and a super duper easy to update rulebook will more than likely exacerbate that  issue, but no one with any authority  asked my opinion so.......

56 minutes ago, guns_and_labs said:

I end up using the pdf version more often than the old printed version. If you want a printed version, a quick trip to the copy center is easy enough. They can even shrink it to little tiny print like the old rulebook. 

or steal from your employer and print it out at work....

I'm a senior citizen (57), and CRO that works major matches every year, but I haven't used the paper rulebook in a year or so. At home I use the pdf on my computer, and at the range I use the pdf on my phone. The search function makes it MUCH faster for me to find something. Nonetheless, I may  print off a copy for myself for a1 and nationals this year.

23 hours ago, ChuckS said:

One thing to keep in mind is that there will not be the separate ruling files that we had in the past. When an approved ruling reaches it's effectivity date , it will be folded into the on-line rulebook. The printed books will go obsolete rapidly.

Not sure if it was addressed, but how will the rank and file be notified that their electronic version was updated and what is the change?

19 minutes ago, vluc said:

Not sure if it was addressed, but how will the rank and file be notified that their electronic version was updated and what is the change?

The usual way - you get DQ-ed or hit with a few procedurals, then the RO points to the new rule... :)

On a much more serious note, this will be a problem so I'm interested in finding out too.

I'd like the option of an annual hard copy  and any updates that happen thru the year I would just print from the web..  Also,  believe it or not there are still members whom are not web savvy and are just being left out of the loop until other members can inform / print copies for them..  Just like this game we play,  options are good.....

I'd like the option of an annual hard copy  and any updates that happen thru the year I would just print from the web..  Also,  believe it or not there are still members whom are not web savvy and are just being left out of the loop until other members can inform / print copies for them..  Just like this game we play,  options are good.....
Using the web is so easy even a single stack shooter can do it....

9 hours ago, NoSteel said:

Also,  believe it or not there are still members whom are not web savvy and are just being left out of the loop until other members can inform / print copies for them..  

Jeez....My 85 year old parents have learned (sort of) how to use the "web" so that they can stay current with the grandkids' activities. Adapt or die. 

You can have one of your tech savvy neighbor kids print a hard copy on papyrus. Use a hole puncher and cover each hole with reinforcement. Then put it in a 3-ring binder

For several years I have read books for entertainment from my iPad or kindle because it is cheaper. Downside is that it is a pain to find anything you are looking for unless you already know exactly what you are looking for and remembering how to have multiple pages open at once when two or more things are related (actually never needed to do this with just normal books) is a pain. 

Equipment manuals, standards documents, anything I need to use as a tool it is hard copy all the way. Much of that stuff has been on pc's for years and it has always been less of a pain in the arse for me to have the book  available when it is something I will use repeatedly. 

On 1/2/2019 at 5:05 PM, motosapiens said:

Nonetheless, I may  print off a copy for myself for a1 and nationals this year.

I think that is going to be sop for the smarter range officials at major matches from now on and the cool ones will even have them laminated. 

On 1/2/2019 at 3:02 PM, ChuckS said:

One thing to keep in mind is that there will not be the separate ruling files that we had in the past. When an approved ruling reaches it's effectivity date , it will be folded into the on-line rulebook. The printed books will go obsolete rapidly.

And really THAT is a huge problem from what I am gathering here.
The rule book should be printed,,, sure to save money only send out by request or charge a small fee.
But there should be NO  changes until the next rule book comes out. No sooner than about 5 years.  Crazy to have to look in multiple places for rules or for stuff to constantly change.
PS,,, When I was active in the sport I could flip through a paper rule book, and find a rule way faster than I could ever open up an app  flip flip swipe swipe, take off my glasses glare in the light try to move stuff, around a touch screen type in a search term,  Basically because I was familiar with it and knew what chapter was what.