Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should USPSA provide a printed rulebook to its members?

TaterHead

On 1/8/2019 at 9:31 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

Saw my first home printed rule book in the wild at a match Sunday.

The guy that had it said something very like "when I'm working a match I'm not going to be screwing around trying to find things on my cell phone". 

Some things just warm your heart. 

:) 

we have really old people at our matches too. The ones under 60 just use the search feature and find the rule on their phone/tablet in 1/4 the time.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Im not going to debate in this post about whether or not USPSA should provide a book, Id rather offer a simple solution.  Things needed:
.pdf file of the rule book
Adobe .pdf program(free) 
Duplex(both sides at once) capable printer. You can do it without duplex, you will just have to flip and reload the sheets.
31 sheets of paper
3 staples

Adobe reader has a "booklet" printing option, so after about 4 minutes of printing youll have this.
(booklet printing instructions- https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/print-booklets-acrobat-reader.html )

rulebook.jpg

13 minutes ago, Patrick Scott said:

Im not going to debate in this post about whether or not USPSA should provide a book, Id rather offer a simple solution.  Things needed:
Adobe .pdf program(free) 
Duplex(both sides at once) capable printer. You can do it without duplex, you will just have to flip and reload the sheets.
31 sheets of paper
3 staples

Adobe reader has a "booklet" printing option, so after about 4 minutes of printing youll have this.
(booklet printing instructions- https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/print-booklets-acrobat-reader.html )

rulebook.jpg

Thanks for posting this, i like that it be done in booklet form

Humm, I am thinking there's not alot of intersection between the want a Printed Book group,, and the figure out duplex printing group..
My issue with this from what I am gathering is a non printed rulebook will lead to instability of rules. Constant changes and updates with different people with different versions.
Used to be the rule book was the rule book and that was it until a new one came out.. Then we got this online thing, Forums, webpages rulings,, people with emails in their pockets, "rulings that were just straight contrary to the language in the rule book... Sorry that whole system is just broken.
Publish a rulebook, Put it available online,, then lock it in for at least 5 years,, and no changes take effect until next book is out.

4 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

Humm, I am thinking there's not alot of intersection between the want a Printed Book group,, and the figure out duplex printing group..
My issue with this from what I am gathering is a non printed rulebook will lead to instability of rules. Constant changes and updates with different people with different versions.
Used to be the rule book was the rule book and that was it until a new one came out.. Then we got this online thing, Forums, webpages rulings,, people with emails in their pockets, "rulings that were just straight contrary to the language in the rule book... Sorry that whole system is just broken.
Publish a rulebook, Put it available online,, then lock it in for at least 5 years,, and no changes take effect until next book is out.

Seems a lot of intersection between the "It can change too easy" group and the "We don't realize there are bylaws/processes and time limits on rule changes" group. 

I downloaded the pdf from the USPSA website into my IPhone iBooks, it looks very small and unreadable (I have a big IPhone 8 Plus) , I have to manually zoom every page to be able to read it, so unworkable...

Anyone has a solution?

PS: I don’t see an option to download the rules in the USPSA App, that is why I did it from the website. The app has a horrible search function, try searching “10.4” and comes back with “character not accepted “, also you can’t skip pages, I you are looking for a penalty in Chapter 10, you have to browse from page 1 al the way to Chapter 10. This has to be improved....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13 hours ago, Patrick Scott said:

Adobe .pdf program(free) 
31 sheets of paper
3 staples

rulebook.jpg

That is neat and easy! 

How does the character size work out compared to the 2014 book? 

No good reason for USPSA not providing printed copies of the rule books.

How about money? It could be used to have RO “refresh” seminars were they can go over the changes with current ROs and CRO s and teach them how to do a search in the online version.

52 minutes ago, dvc4you said:

How about money? It could be used to have RO “refresh” seminars were they can go over the changes with current ROs and CRO s and teach them how to do a search in the online version.

Since USPSA had money to send Mike Foley to the Philippines,  they should have enough to send out printed copies like they used to do and do refresher courses. 

Never seen a refresher course or additional training for Range Officers or Chief Range Officers, but it's a good idea.

Printed copies are good to have so you can tab them and show a competitor the rule in question. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Scott said:

Its pretty similar. I can take a comparison pic tonight when I get home if you would like. 

Pretty similar is a good enough answer for me. Will give it a shot, if I decide not to go 8.5*11 binder with plastic sleeves for bad weather and easy updates. 

Decisions decisions :) 

I finally got a email response from Heather at the USPSA. No hard copy rule books will be printed for anyone, including RO's. They want to keep an "evergreen" rule book, which means, they can change the rules so often, that everyone is confused. I think for what the dues cost, they could at least provide a hard copy for the RO's, and the option of a subsidized, low cost copy for anyone else. Maybe then, if they have to print them, they won't change the rules so often.

13 minutes ago, Sarge said:

So, how much would you all pay for a rulebook if somebody offered them. I would think one could be printed at home and mailed for $5 total no?

I would pay the exact amount for a rule book that USPSA refunded me on my membership fee's.

Staples wanted $23.80 to print and bind the rule book.

Before the end of the summer it’ll likely be outdated.

They do intend to continually insert clarifications and DNROI interpretations into the rulebook. That’s been made clear, and it’s why I won’t consider printing one.

We score on Amazon’s FIRE tablets. Too bad we got rid of all the nooks last year. They’d be ideal to have around as rulebook-dedicated devices now.