Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should USPSA provide a printed rulebook to its members?

TaterHead

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Steve RA said:

I have a cell phone, as it's easier to have one phone - and one number - than a home phone and a cell phone.  However, I'd still prefer to have a printed rule book.

Reading a book with a cell phone is sort of like driving nails with a piece of pipe, it can be done but you really miss the days when you had a hammer. 

I would prefer to have a book, as where I live there are many ranges that do not have cell service or internet, which leads to it own problems.

You do not need cell service to read a pdf in your phone. This has been discussed here several times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7 minutes ago, dvc4you said:

You do not need cell service to read a pdf in your phone. This has been discussed here several times.

You are absolutely correct. I would still like a good old book. I forgot you dont need internet for a pdf.

Really tired of the constant assumptions
  Many CANT read a PDF on a phone,, and frankly getting tired of the insinuation that EVERYONE has a smart phone swipe swipe , and EVERYONE is either stupid or a troglodyte if they arnt on board an electronic rule book.
FACT some people cant work touch screens... You knows those of us with real jobs that worked with our hands and dont moisturize regularly and live in our moms basement.. Calloused hands dont work touch screens for squat.
FACT many folks prefer phones with actual buttons they can feel
FACT, phone screens are hard to see out doors.
FACT, way faster to flip through a paper book with dirty hands, for those that actually take a few seconds to be familiar with what rule is where.
FACT,, noone want s to hand their gazillion dollar gadget to another shooter,,

Dont think the membership needs a petition,, just needs to actually vote in the BOD elections.. whts the turnout these days ? 30% ?  Probably the main problem

Edited by Joe4d

49 minutes ago, Sarge said:

So, how do we get a petition started to get HQ to do the right thing by it's members?

Just sent this in via the contact us link at the USPSA website. Will post when I get something back. 

Hi,

Many of us would prefer to have a printed rulebook, can you tell me what the correct approach would be to politely petition for consideration of the idea? Ideally since it is something that effects every member perhaps the membership could have the opportunity to vote?

Thank You,

xxxx xxxxx

Just sent this in via the contact us link at the USPSA website. Will post when I get something back. 

Hi,

Many of us would prefer to have a printed rulebook, can you tell me what the correct approach would be to politely petition for consideration of the idea? Ideally since it is something that effects every member perhaps the membership could have the opportunity to vote?

Thank You,

xxxx xxxxx

Please don’t email them from your phone [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

That would be (360) 855-2245 from the Jitterbug.

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

Dont think the membership needs a petition,, just needs to actually vote in the BOD elections.. whts the turnout these days ? 30% ?  Probably the main problem

Would be nice to have a place to discuss this type of thing. People generally don't vote if they don't know anything about the candidates or their agenda. 

38 minutes ago, louu said:

Would be nice to have a place to discuss this type of thing. People generally don't vote if they don't know anything about the candidates or their agenda. 

Four years ago we had the USPSA forum for discussions about the elections but that’s gone now. With 4/9 members of the BOD up for election this year (including the President), I think that a forum to discuss the various positions and agendas would be useful.

9 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Really tired of the constant assumptions
  Many CANT read a PDF on a phone,, and frankly getting tired of the insinuation that EVERYONE has a smart phone swipe swipe , and EVERYONE is either stupid or a troglodyte if they arnt on board an electronic rule book.
FACT some people cant work touch screens... You knows those of us with real jobs that worked with our hands and dont moisturize regularly and live in our moms basement.. Calloused hands dont work touch screens for squat.
FACT many folks prefer phones with actual buttons they can feel
FACT, phone screens are hard to see out doors.
FACT, way faster to flip through a paper book with dirty hands, for those that actually take a few seconds to be familiar with what rule is where.
FACT,, noone want s to hand their gazillion dollar gadget to another shooter,,

Lord ! Where does the country go from here. 

11 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

Four years ago we had the USPSA forum for discussions about the elections but that’s gone now. With 4/9 members of the BOD up for election this year (including the President), I think that a forum to discuss the various positions and agendas would be useful.

Are there even any challengers out there?

Edited by Sarge

For clubs looking for devices to put the rulebook on (since it seems that HQ has dug in their heels and won't be printing them) you can go to the website SWAPPA and bid on used devices.

I'm going to try and get some old iphones I think and use those. iphone 3GS can be had pretty cheaply right now.

iphone_3gs_hero_4x3.jpg

20 minutes ago, davidb72 said:

For clubs looking for devices to put the rulebook on (since it seems that HQ has dug in their heels and won't be printing them) you can go to the website SWAPPA and bid on used devices.

I'm going to try and get some old iphones I think and use those. iphone 3GS can be had pretty cheaply right now.

iphone_3gs_hero_4x3.jpg

A new Amazon Kindle Fire 7 is $49.99, We use the HD 8s for our matches and they work great. They should be a good option for you to consider.

58 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I feel duped as I was all in for the President. Are there even any challengers out there?

Nominations have to be filed before 1st May, so we may not know until then. I have not seen any formal announcement from anyone. 

12 hours ago, dvc4you said:

Please don’t email them from your phone emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

That is a nice illustration of the problem. I have never met anyone who would poke around doing emails with a comparably tiny cell phone keyboard and screen if they had access to a tablet, and I have never met anyone who would punch around on a tablet if they had access to a real pc and keyboard. Cell phones work when you do not have something better at hand. 

12 hours ago, louu said:

Speaking from experience, creating and posting position documents has little effect. USPSA publishes position papers in  Front Sight for candidates. How many actually read them?

i was told numerous times either "I just voted for the person who was in office" or "I just voted for a name I recognized".

It is rather disappointing all things considered.

I know on Enos that USPSA politics is poo pooed, but it would be cool to have a sub forum here, just during election time where candidates could answer questions and put forth their positions.  Then we could get to know them and see if their thoughts on where uspsa should move in the future, aligned with ours.  I am not talking about a permanent gripe session forum though, just a simple question and answer format, not accuse and blame haha.  Basically instead of arguing if you didn't like their position, just don't vote for them

1 minute ago, RJH said:

I know on Enos that USPSA politics is poo pooed, but it would be cool to have a sub forum here, just during election time where candidates could answer questions and put forth their positions.  Then we could get to know them and see if their thoughts on where uspsa should move in the future, aligned with ours.  I am not talking about a permanent gripe session forum though, just a simple question and answer format, not accuse and blame haha.  Basically instead of arguing if you didn't like their position, just don't vote for them

And moderated by an impartial 3rd party. Ideally nothing would make it through to the community unless it came across as polite and constructive. 

2 hours ago, Gary Stevens said:

Speaking from experience, creating and posting position documents has little effect. USPSA publishes position papers in  Front Sight for candidates. How many actually read them?

i was told numerous times either "I just voted for the person who was in office" or "I just voted for a name I recognized".

It is rather disappointing all things considered.

I gave up on the magazine, just have the regular membership 

1 hour ago, RJH said:

I'll second this. 

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

And moderated by an impartial 3rd party. Ideally nothing would make it through to the community unless it came across as polite and constructive. 

Sad but true

18 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Hi,

Thank You,

xxxx xxxxx

Hi xxx,

I have received your email and forwarded it to the appropriate managers. We are currently working on further developing things to ease the printing process for end users.

We appreciate your input.

Thank you.