Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should USPSA provide a printed rulebook to its members?

TaterHead

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Equipment manuals, standards documents, anything I need to use as a tool it is hard copy all the way. Much of that stuff has been on pc's for years and it has always been less of a pain in the arse for me to have the book  available when it is something I will use repeatedly. 

My thoughts exactly, interesting how many people are seemingly completely against a hard copy.  Maybe liquidity of rules has worked in their favor in the past, I can think of no other reason to be opposed to a hard copy  being made available.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Joe4d said:

And really THAT is a huge problem from what I am gathering here.
The rule book should be printed,,, sure to save money only send out by request or charge a small fee.
But there should be NO  changes until the next rule book comes out. No sooner than about 5 years.  Crazy to have to look in multiple places for rules or for stuff to constantly change.
PS,,, When I was active in the sport I could flip through a paper rule book, and find a rule way faster than I could ever open up an app  flip flip swipe swipe, take off my glasses glare in the light try to move stuff, around a touch screen type in a search term,  Basically because I was familiar with it and knew what chapter was what.

This is true, another problem is that if you work for a living, fingers with calluses don't operate the touch screens worth a damn, but turning pages is pretty easy

yeh just figured that out,, have NEVER been able to use a touch screen. Liked my keypad Blackberry but VZ dropped support, flip phoning it now.  Took wife out in new bassboat, ( my other one was a 1993),, boat has touch screen GPS/fishfinder,,, was trying to operate it with mechanics gloves,,, Wife says it wont work. "Why not I am touching it?" 
"DING" Lights went on... had frostbight in fingertips, plus,, as mentioned worked for a living. reason I could never use these dang things. I swipe swipe,, but it only registers about half the time,,, and no way in Hades I could ever type anything... Although,, now that I am a desk jockey,,, seems to be getting better,,, Maybe I need to start moisturizing and getting cucumber rubs or something.

Checked with my AD, he stated he thought an announcement of changes would be posted on the web page, but he is verifying that.  I can use the pdf/app version but also prefer a paper version for ease of showing a competitor what rule is addressed as opposed to him/her leaning over my shoulder and wanting to grab my phone to read it.

This will be a learning process in a lot of ways.  I work with 2 hospital systems, both of whom state they are paperless...I use more paper now than I did before.

So continuing the Question: are we getting good service from USPSA?

They want to save money by "going Green" was what I read.

Having the rules on a electronic device is a great benefit, however, making members print their own is not IMO a service to the members.  

If members want a printed version, USPSA should supply it, as someone mentioned, Range staff should have one sent to them.

The guy who founded either GIECO or USAA once said : accountants know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.  

2 minutes ago, pjb45 said:

Having the rules on a electronic device is a great benefit, however, making members print their own is not IMO a service to the members.  

If members want a printed version, USPSA should supply it, as someone mentioned, Range staff should have one sent to them.

The guy who founded either GIECO or USAA once said : accountants know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.  

Like pjb45 said and someone earlier made this suggestion about certified range staff either being sent a rule book or allowing them to request a printed copy and I think that idea does have some merit.

1 hour ago, pjb45 said:

I wonder what would be the cost trade off between sending the upper echelon to only 50% of their normal match schedule for one year and getting books to all of the r.o.'s ? 

Do we know what the schedule of updates will be to the rule book? Will it be monthly, every 5 official rulings, once a year, e.t.c?

Will official rulings be deemed immediately in effect or do we need to wait for the next version of the book to be pushed online for them to apply?

If they do quarterly updates or whatever making them only apply when found in the latest book makes the most sense to me.

The rulings get out of hand after a few years with any rulebook. We need a system that allows the rulebook to be clarified as we go. We need an evergreen rulebook.

Updating a printed rulebook involves more than just changing the words. You add or subtract a few words and it can require reformatting the rest of the remaining pages. Setting this up to print hard copies for the few people who want a one is expensive, and I don't want to pay for it.

Hell, the majority of USPSA shooters don't read the rulebook beyond the equipment rules for their division. And some don't even read that.

On 1/4/2019 at 10:55 PM, PatJones said:

The rulings get out of hand after a few years with any rulebook. We need a system that allows the rulebook to be clarified as we go. We need an evergreen rulebook.

Updating a printed rulebook involves more than just changing the words. You add or subtract a few words and it can require reformatting the rest of the remaining pages. Setting this up to print hard copies for the few people who want a one is expensive, and I don't want to pay for it.

Hell, the majority of USPSA shooters don't read the rulebook beyond the equipment rules for their division. And some don't even read that.

True, but rule changes that just pop up when they decide to change something is not really acceptable, and as was stated, there has not been a statement as to the frequency of changes or how the membership will be notified..

Evergreen can also mean ever-changing....

Saw my first home printed rule book in the wild at a match Sunday.

The guy that had it said something very like "when I'm working a match I'm not going to be screwing around trying to find things on my cell phone". 

Some things just warm your heart. 

:) 

On 1/4/2019 at 6:22 PM, beta1759 said:

I got one sent to me (along with my membership card and some other stuff) by USPSA when i signed up a year ago.

And that rulebook is no longer valid....

On 1/4/2019 at 9:55 PM, PatJones said:

Problem No. 1

I like the hard copy book. I am a RO, and if there is a dispute, it is faster to pull out the book, go to the right section, and look it up quickly. I don't have a smartphone. I don't feel like printing out all 121 pages of the online version either, plus that's quite a wad to stuff in your range bag, rather than a small booklet. I hope the USPSA supplies the books to the RO's , as before. I sent them an email, asking, but they have not responded.

I like the hard copy book. I am a RO, and if there is a dispute, it is faster to pull out the book, go to the right section, and look it up quickly. I don't have a smartphone. I don't feel like printing out all 121 pages of the online version either, plus that's quite a wad to stuff in your range bag, rather than a small booklet. I hope the USPSA supplies the books to the RO's , as before. I sent them an email, asking, but they have not responded.

It is much faster to search a PDF. Most scoring devices should have the rulebook installed on them in the near future. Your club does use electronic scoring doesn't it?

25 minutes ago, PatJones said:

It is much faster to search a PDF.

Just the opposite for me. Also if you are using generic devices you lose the opportunity to paper clip/highlight the things that come up or which are located where you would not intuitively look for them. 

43 minutes ago, PatJones said:

Most scoring devices should have the rulebook installed on them in the near future.

That would be ok for match officials who need to shut down a squad while a question is answered anyway, a shooter who wanted like to look at the rules if something came up probably wouldn't ask the squad to stop scoring and wait for him. 

Also I do not know why some shooters have a hard time viewing the screens on some devices, polarization of their eyeglasses?