Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun shop experts and their quotes

Sarge

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote "a 22 magnum is a centerfire while a LR is rimfire ".

Mine actually is. Both of them in fact. A six inch and an 8 3/8 inch.

I must be misreading your post. Sounds like you're saying you have two .22 Magnum centerfire handguns. (?) A neat trick, if you can pull it off.

He can only be speaking of Smith & Western Model 53 revolvers. They say ".22 MAGNUM" on the barrel, and shoot both centerfire and rimfire .22 cartridges.

Ummm no this guy was talking about a NAA revolver and 22 WMR, not some obsolete odd ball 22 caliber round.

S&W53 is in reference to what skooter and Duane were talking about. Specifically this:

"Mine actually is. Both of them in fact. A six inch and an 8 3/8 inch."

A pair of guns, one Six inch and one Eight & Three Eights inch, that are "Centerfire .22 Magnum" can only be Model 53s in .22 JET.

• 2 weeks later...

Was talking hunting with some coworkers last night and guy tells us about dropping a 10 pointer in its tracks at just over a mile away. Said he was using a 7mm mag and had to aim at the top of his back for the bullet to drop into the kill zone. He has also shot multiple deer at 150 yards with his bow. He worked for a gun shop in Memphis before here. He got fired for explaining to someone that 556 was a larger bullet then 223 and you couldn't have a gun that shoots both. He explained to me that 556 is over double the size of 223 because its a bigger number. Just like 308 is smaller the 762x54.

Of course .308 is smaller than 7.62, obvious really, especially if the 7.62 is a Russian one.

I personally have a packet of dehydrated water at home for these guys. Just add 1gallon cold water, boil for 1 hr and you have 7.5 pints of fresh clean rehydrated water to drink.

A few years ago I was in a local big box gun shop and happened to find about ten boxes of .40 SW on the shelf when everyone else was sold out. It was Ultramax remanufactured, not my favorite, but I hadn't seen a box of .40 on the shelf since the election, so I grabbed a couple.

When I got to the register, the clerk said "that will be $285". (for two 50-round boxes of commercial reloads)

Me: laughing, "you have to be kidding! That sounds like the case price, not the 50-round box price. Can you double check?"

Clerk: "Oh, no. I'm sure that this is the right price. This is top of the line competition ammo. You're lucky you even found some. Only the best shooters are using this."

Me: "Thanks, but no thanks"

4 months later, the same 10 boxes of Ultramax were still on shelf, listed for $139 per 50. I wonder how many other shooters attempted to buy that stuff and then got the same spiel.....

• 3 weeks later...

I was in a shop on my lunch break close to where I used to work and noticed that one of the workers who was usually an asshat whenever I was there witch was frequently had his hand bandaged but didn't want to ask what happend at that moment. I had naught several guns there and the owner and I were on a first name basis at that point so the next time I saw him I asked about his worker's hand. He told me that a customer that knew nothing about guns braught a gun in and wanted to sell it. When the worker went to pick up the gun it went off and blew off his right index finger. The owner goes on to tell me that his employee swears he didn't touch the trigger. Mabe this wasent that funny but sometimes those asshats at gun shops make total fools of themselves.

It's taken me three days to read this thread and will be laughing abou it for weeks to come.

Edited by 314shane

• 1 month later...

I have read (sadly more than once) this thread and have laughed quite a bit. I work part-time at the local gun shop and finally have a few stories of my own to add. Like has been said before-there are things said and done on both sides of the counter that are worthy of a dope slap, or at least some harsh words. Some, however, are just funny!

-Fellow employee who is a self-proclaimed “expert” on AR rifles (because he was in JROTC or something like that) is talking to a customer about a Smith M&P15 OR. His answer to the customer’s question about what the forward assist is goes something like this: “This is the forward assist. They put this on so you can force the bolt closed if you have a malfunction. The forward assist will cure any malfunction the AR has.” I controlled myself long enough to wait for him to go do damage elsewhere before I explained to the customer how bad of an idea slapping the forward assist is during almost any sort of malfunction and gave him the 101 on clearing them.

-One of the “good ‘ol boys” comes in (with a 1911 on his hip) and asks if we have any 10mm pistols in stock. We had recently gotten a Glock 20 in, which was the first 10 I had seen in the shop for over 2 years, so I pointed it out and said that was the only one in stock at the moment. He looks at me and says, “Not one of those plastic pieces of sh**, I mean a real gun.”

-Of course I've heard the classic “just rack the slide on this 500/870/whatever pump is in stock and that’ll let the intruder know you mean business.” Another oft-repeated line around here is “the .22 magnum is a great self-defense round.”

There are others I’m sure. I’ll write them up as I remember them. Thanks all for posting and for the laughs!

My previous post is out of place in the string,, I was replying to a post that stated that someone had told them they were shooting .22 bullets out of a 30/06,, Several years ago sabots where available to do just that... I would imagine they had some prettty impressive velocities...

Gun Store : We can sell you ammo if you buy a gun... ammo is impossible to find you have to buy a gun for anyone to sell you some.. (this was recent)

20 min later I go to gun shop down the street.. how many boxes you want?

At a recently opened Sportsman's Warehouse in Aiken, SC they had one set of ammo reserved for those buying a gun and another set that was available to anyone. I can't fault them reserving some ammo for gun buyers because who would want to buy a gun and not be able to at least get a box or two of ammo with it.

-One of the “good ‘ol boys” comes in (with a 1911 on his hip) and asks if we have any 10mm pistols in stock. We had recently gotten a Glock 20 in, which was the first 10 I had seen in the shop for over 2 years, so I pointed it out and said that was the only one in stock at the moment. He looks at me and says, “Not one of those plastic pieces of sh**, I mean a real gun.”

That's not funny, that's normal and rational behavior.

I was asking myself what was funny about that as well.

:bow:

A real man can wear a pink shirt, and shoot a plastic gun :D

To each his own.

At a recently opened Sportsman's Warehouse in Aiken, SC they had one set of ammo reserved for those buying a gun and another set that was available to anyone. I can't fault them reserving some ammo for gun buyers because who would want to buy a gun and not be able to at least get a box or two of ammo with it.

And I agree. But to go as far as saying its impossible to get from anyone w/o buying a gun is a bit of an over statement no? lol :P

-One of the good ol boys comes in (with a 1911 on his hip) and asks if we have any 10mm pistols in stock. We had recently gotten a Glock 20 in, which was the first 10 I had seen in the shop for over 2 years, so I pointed it out and said that was the only one in stock at the moment. He looks at me and says, Not one of those plastic pieces of sh**, I mean a real gun.

It's not "pink" it's "salmon"