Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun shop experts and their quotes

Sarge

I love being told " there is no such caliber" when asking for ammo.. I asked the clerk do you have any .458 lott ammo. He said you need 45colt, there aint no such thing as .458 lott..

I left very quickly

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I left very quickly

Don't do that.

Hang around, prove him wrong and embarrass the crap out of him. Great fun!

Pat

True, I should have, thats ok ive got some wild cat calibers ill ask about next time im there :)

I also hate being told by funshop employees is what gun I need or dont need.. Thats one reason I just assime call my ffl buddy and tell him what I want no questions asked.. I try to support local shops but its hard sometimes. When.i can send a text from.my couch to my ffl and he just calls when it arrives..

This morning I had a clerk in one of the large sporting goods stores tell me that I could fire .223 in my 22 250, would work fine. Not only that but it would fire form the brass, then I could reload them with my 22 250 dies. After I had a talk with his boss I think he was selling shoes by the time I left the store.-----------Larry

When I picked up my Les Baer PII from the LGS with my wife there was an old timer there drinking coffee and dispensing advice. I opened the box and fondled my new pistol before I filled out the paper work. The guy came over and checked out my gun. He could tell that the slide was difficult to rack. It was then that I got to be the recipient of advice.

"I'd send that back if I were you. A gun that tight'll never run right," he said.

"It's a Les Baer, he's kind of known for tight guns that run," I replied.

He continued, "I'll never know why people don't pay a little extra for a Colt. They run great and come in a real box."

I looked at the owner of the store, smiled and said, "not everybody can afford that kind of money."

I finished the paperwork and left. When we got to the car my wife asked what a Colt cost. I told her a whole lot less than I paid but that the old guy had known the wrong thing for so long that I wouldn't have been able to change his mind and it wasn't worth my time to try.

Was a wally world looking for cheap .308/7.62 x 51ammo

I ask the guy for a couple boxes of a certain ammo that I know is under the max pressure for 7.62x51 and .308. It is marked both. I said .308 just because it is a little easier. Well the guy proceeds to lecture me in the difference and why I need to get one or the other.

"but this is for both" I say

"No it's not, the 7.62x51 is military ammo and that military stuff can blow up a bolt action rifle if you aren't careful. "

"Then why does it say both on the box?"

"uh well, hmmmm"

"and do you really think the military round that was designed to be run in semi auto rifles is rated for higher pressure than a round like .308 which is usually found in bolt action rifles, that lock up nice and tight and don't really have parts that move until you want them too? And unless you have any .308 that is loaded to maximum recommend pressure, it usually falls within spec for 7.62"

I pulled up some load data on my phone and showed him. I asked him to please not tell people that sort of thing anymore.

Why is it that so many people assume that because it is military it is better/stronger. Mil spec means nothing other than a product meets certain specifications, none of which says "better than everything else"

Why is it that so many people assume that because it is military it is better/stronger. Mil spec means nothing other than a product meets certain specifications, none of which says "better than everything else"

Mil Spec as used by the military means "Lowest priced bidder!" just like with NASA.

Said in a barber shop I was in, at 14, I'm now 47, and I still remember laughing out loud!

"You can shoot a guy in the arm with an M16 and it will kill him because the gun was designed to shoot a tumbling bullet. It turns end over end as it flies, that's why the army uses them. They're deadly."

Let me just say my dad knows very little about guns. According to him It was common knowledge during his time in Vietnam for people to think the bullet tumbled when it hit someone.

I asked him what would make it tumble. He told me it was designed that way! I have heard this from several people that served in Vietnam, I wonder if this came from the top to make the infantry feel more comfortable with a small caliber weapon.

I learned about the "M16 bullet tumbling phenomenon" while i was in college in 1989 in a Military Science class, taught by a professor in a uniform. I recall he was Army, but I don't recall his rank or whether he was retired, reservist, etc. But the message was clear....the M16 shoots a bullet that tumbles. As i remember the explanation, if you shoot an enemy and he dies, his fellow soldiers keep fighting because they can't help him. The M16 was designed to tumble so that it hits the enemy and tears into them causing damage but not killing them, that way the other soldiers have to carry him off the field of battle, taking more than one guy out of the action.

Laugh all you want...i was a kid from NY that was never around guns my whole life, back then you could have told me anything and I would have believed you.

I learned about the "M16 bullet tumbling phenomenon" while i was in college in 1989 in a Military Science class, taught by a professor in a uniform. I recall he was Army, but I don't recall his rank or whether he was retired, reservist, etc. But the message was clear....the M16 shoots a bullet that tumbles. As i remember the explanation, if you shoot an enemy and he dies, his fellow soldiers keep fighting because they can't help him. The M16 was designed to tumble so that it hits the enemy and tears into them causing damage but not killing them, that way the other soldiers have to carry him off the field of battle, taking more than one guy out of the action.

Laugh all you want...i was a kid from NY that was never around guns my whole life, back then you could have told me anything and I would have believed you.

That is somewhat true...they went to the M16 cause a soldier could carry more ammo, it was lighter, supposedly when they first were issued you didn't have to clean them, and they were "less" lethal than the M1/M14. The bullets do not tumble, but do wound...and a wounded soldier takes 3 men out of the fight, while a dead one only takes himself.

That is somewhat true...they went to the M16 cause a soldier could carry more ammo, it was lighter, supposedly when they first were issued you didn't have to clean them, and they were "less" lethal than the M1/M14. The bullets do not tumble, but do wound...and a wounded soldier takes 3 men out of the fight, while a dead one only takes himself.

3 men out of the fight if you are fighting Canada. When was the last time we fought somebody that cared about their fellow fighters?

3 men out of the fight if you are fighting Canada. When was the last time we fought somebody that cared about their fellow fighters?
I didn't say that is what the standard...just what the army brass thought at the time.

I know this is thread drift but I submit for your approval ...

"From the very outset of its adoption the M16 was plagued with troubles. Stoner had designed the original AR 15 with a very slow barrel twist rate of 1:14 which was literally a doubled edged sword. By using a slow twist barrel the 55 grain bullet was only just stable in flight, producing a small degree of yaw. On impact the bullet would immediately tumble and render a wide, incapacitating wound. This was initially considered a brilliant design premise but some rifles produced too much yaw and were very inaccurate at longer ranges. McNamara ordered that the twist rate be changed to 1:12 before final adoption of the rifle in 1964. This cured longer range accuracy problems but completely destroyed the stopping power of the 55 grain bullet which now poked needle holes through its victims. Nobody questioned the potential consequences of this move and ignorant of the facts, Ordnance brass continued to believe and promote the M193 as a highly effective cartridge."

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.223+Remington.html

Further drift: The book "The Gun" covers the selection of the 5.56 by the Gov. Rediculous. They reissued a ton a M14s for Iraq and A'stahn supposedely for longer distance engagement but I'm pretty sure it was just so somebody could kill someone without an automatic rifle.

They issued them to cut down on spray and pray also. Some people should truly only get one shot at a time.

Case in point. In Panama I was with 2 guys, we took fire. It was minor. Combat load gone. Those guys should have got bolt actions for gods sake.

They issued them to cut down on spray and pray also. Some people should truly only get one shot at a time.

Case in point. In Panama I was with 2 guys, we took fire. It was minor. Combat load gone. Those guys should have got bolt actions for gods sake.

How many magazines and rounds is that?

Did they hit anything worthy?

I'm new to the forum, and I'm loving this thread! Thanks for all the laughs!

I have two for you, one of which I'm sure we've all heard some version of about Black Talon ammo:

1) At my LGS: "That stuff's so bad-a** it's been banned in 49 states! It's only legal in Alaska to protect against bear attacks".

2) Conversation between a condescending clerk at Cabela's, and my 5' 7", 100-lb daughter showing her gun-newbie girl-friend the 44 Magnum ammo she enjoys shooting through my Desert Eagle:

Clerk: "Do you ladies know what you're looking at? That's an awfully powerful caliber for females".

Daughter: "If you mean this 240-grain Jacketed Hollow Point that leaves the 6" barrel of my Desert Eagle MkVII at about 1,200 feet per second, and generates close to 1,200 foot-pounds of energy, then yes, I know what I'm looking at".

Clerk: "Oh. Well I'm surprised you haven't broken your wrist! That gun recoils like a mule".

Daughter: "Yeah, not so much. Due to the gas operation, muzzle flip is much less than the 8" barrel 629 I shoot sometimes".

Clerk walks away shaking his head. First smart thing he did...

I finally have one!!!!

I just went to Wally World to pick up a 250rd box of 40 since I am not completely set up to reload 40.

The cashier picks up the box and said "man that is heavy!" and I said "yeah well it is a box of lead.".

He then says to me "no, they don't make bullets out of lead anymore because it is inhumane to shoot someone with a lead bullet."

I told him that is not true but thanks and made a quick exit as to not let the people of Walmart lower my IQ...