Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun shop experts and their quotes

Sarge

I went is Bass Pro last week a the "manager" behind the gun counter was explaining to a customer that they had just got in a new ar-15 in 300 Winchester Magnum. He asked to see it then said it didn't look like the mag well would hold a 300 magnum. When he read the label 300 blackout, she said it had that on there cause the gun was black.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote "a 22 magnum is a centerfire while a LR is rimfire ".

Mine actually is. Both of them in fact. A six inch and an 8 3/8 inch.

I must be misreading your post. Sounds like you're saying you have two .22 Magnum centerfire handguns. (?) A neat trick, if you can pull it off.

He can only be speaking of Smith & Western Model 53 revolvers. They say ".22 MAGNUM" on the barrel, and shoot both centerfire and rimfire .22 cartridges.

It is not simply the guns counter guys. Having worked on the far side of the counter for almost a decade, it is gun people in general. The great thing about America is any one can own a gun(s). This result is "any one" does. Dreadlocked, unbathed, flip flop wearing, patchouli smelling, save the Earth hippy dipshits buy guns too.

This is one incident that sticks out in my mind from several years ago. A couple is having issues with their GSG-5K pistol. It was jamming because they were holding the magazine while shooting. Any way the former Vietnam Green Beret husband had bought the ridiculous toy pistol for the wife, as home protection. After all it held twenty .22 cartridges, plus with the laser/light installed is was "extremely intimidating".

It was easy to tell the wife had little to no interest in the GSG, in fact she has a Glock 26 she carries and is comfortable with. He did not like the 26 because it was small and he thought it had too much recoil for her. Although she never gave me any indication she felt that way, she did say she loved the baby Glock.

We ended up taking the GSG back and selling her a few G17 and G18 mags. Not a funny story. Sad really. He may or may not have been a Green Beret. If he was, to me it just makes it worse. He should have known better.

Edited by Kristofer_G

From my buddy Kenny who has this to say about the Rem Accelerators:

"They are SUPER accurate!!!! The problem is that your 50 yard zero is at worst your 400 yard zero, the bullet drop doesn't start until after that and even then the drop is dramatically less than any standard for the three calibers I mentioned.
To put it more simply....55 grain accelerator @ 500 yds is approx. 1 inch low, 168 grain nm federal @ 500 yds is almost 16 inches low! If you are going to shoot them at short range (200 yds) there is no discernable gain for target guys, but long range is it's forte', and most shooters "up power" their scopes for the longer range (12x is a minimum, I've seen 20x or better on some varmint guns!). the bottom line is: if you decide to shoot accelerators, you have to set up a rifle dedicated to that round only! I tried them at Calverton but that's only 200 yds, with my deer gun (rem 700 bolt 3x9 scope) and my group size shrunk by more than half! I only had one box of 20 in 30.06, in my 30.30 lever I shot them upstate at red squirrels with a 4x scope and I was pretty much dead on with a box of 20 at over 200 yds. I haven't shot enough to be sure but I think they are very susceptible to wind drift because of the small sized bullet (similar to .223?). feel free to copy/paste this to your web discussion."

I have read about others having exactly the opposite experience in other discussion forums but this was KEN'S experience with the Accelerators.

It reminds me of the Federal 165 grain Trophy Bonded round which was billed as same POA POI as the 168BTHP Match round most police snipers used.

In testing it had VERY varied results.

In one rifle it might perform exactly as billed....the next rifle (same maker, model, caliber, etc...) it might be 14" low and to the right or left of their 168grbthp zero.

From my experience I now tell students "this is MY experience shooting round XYZ in MY rifle....you should test this round in YOUR rifle prior to purchasing it and deploying with it."

I was in academy today and over heard two employees behind the counter say this.

Number 1- Did you know they give the special forces pot to calm them down and focus during a mission?

Number 2- I know man. I read about that on yahoo.

Number 1- yeah my brother told me because he was in special ops and they gave it to him.

Number 2- wow that's awesome!

I was amazed...

While In the local gun shop a couple weeks ago I spot an Uzi on the shelf. I walk over, pick it up, cock it and dry-fire it. After putting it back up I said (half to myself), "I'd take an AR over that any day." The 300+ pound expert in the corner says to me, "Yeah, but nothing beats an Uzi for clearing rooms." I just said I wasn't planning on clearing any rooms anytime soon and left.

I'll add another to my own original thread.

"What in the hell is that?" When they opened a small box with my Trinity 2011 frame in it. Had no idea such a thing existed.

While In the local gun shop a couple weeks ago I spot an Uzi on the shelf. I walk over, pick it up, cock it and dry-fire it. After putting it back up I said (half to myself), "I'd take an AR over that any day." The 300+ pound expert in the corner says to me, "Yeah, but nothing beats an Uzi for clearing rooms." I just said I wasn't planning on clearing any rooms anytime soon and left.

I'll take a good old fashioned hand grenade over an Uzi any day.

At Cabelas today, the guy behind the counter sounded like a used car salesman, comparing an FNS 45 to an FNX 45...

"This one is basically a gun that they made all tactical and this one is designed to be completely tactical."

Yep, I'm sure the folks over at FNH would be rolling their eyes at that perfect description of their two pistol lines.

Later on I overheard him say something like, "it's definitely more tactical... Is it $300 worth of more tactical? I dunno, that's up to you."

I heard one guy saying to a customer in Alaska...

"Oh yeah the 9mm is a good round for bears. You just need to make sure you shove the gun into its mouth."

I have been going through these for awhile. I started crying because I was laughing so hard!

When I was still working at the gun store, I had a guy come up and ask me for "some of them 9mm foties to shoot in my gee-lock"

Also had a guy have a .32 S&W in the magazine of his .32 semi-auto complaining that it wouldn't feed. Sold him a box of .32 auto and he sticks the revolver round back in the magazine because he "wanted to have a full clip just in case (he) run(s) into trouble on the way back home."

I'm a firm believer that you just can't help some people.

I was in a competitor's shop (I am an FFL) and over heard the sales boob tell a customer who was inquiring about NFA and suppressor ownership....

"Oh, well the $200.00 tax is an annual tax and that acts as a free pass for the Feds to enter your house without a search warrant and ceize ANYTHING they want. I wont do that. I just make my own suppressors."

I politely tapped the customer on the shoulder, said Excuse me but this guy is a Felony Conviction WAITING to happen. Don't walk RUN to my store. and handed him my card.

Quote "a 22 magnum is a centerfire while a LR is rimfire ".

Mine actually is. Both of them in fact. A six inch and an 8 3/8 inch.

I must be misreading your post. Sounds like you're saying you have two .22 Magnum centerfire handguns. (?) A neat trick, if you can pull it off.

He can only be speaking of Smith & Western Model 53 revolvers. They say ".22 MAGNUM" on the barrel, and shoot both centerfire and rimfire .22 cartridges.

It is not simply the guns counter guys. Having worked on the far side of the counter for almost a decade, it is gun people in general. The great thing about America is any one can own a gun(s). This result is "any one" does. Dreadlocked, unbathed, flip flop wearing, patchouli smelling, save the Earth hippy dipshits buy guns too.

This is one incident that sticks out in my mind from several years ago. A couple is having issues with their GSG-5K pistol. It was jamming because they were holding the magazine while shooting. Any way the former Vietnam Green Beret husband had bought the ridiculous toy pistol for the wife, as home protection. After all it held twenty .22 cartridges, plus with the laser/light installed is was "extremely intimidating".

It was easy to tell the wife had little to no interest in the GSG, in fact she has a Glock 26 she carries and is comfortable with. He did not like the 26 because it was small and he thought it had too much recoil for her. Although she never gave me any indication she felt that way, she did say she loved the baby Glock.

We ended up taking the GSG back and selling her a few G17 and G18 mags. Not a funny story. Sad really. He may or may not have been a Green Beret. If he was, to me it just makes it worse. He should have known better.

Ummm no this guy was talking about a NAA revolver and 22 WMR, not some obsolete odd ball 22 caliber round.

When I was still working at the gun store, I had a guy come up and ask me for "some of them 9mm foties to shoot in my gee-lock"

Also had a guy have a .32 S&W in the magazine of his .32 semi-auto complaining that it wouldn't feed. Sold him a box of .32 auto and he sticks the revolver round back in the magazine because he "wanted to have a full clip just in case (he) run(s) into trouble on the way back home."

I'm a firm believer that you just can't help some people.

Like Mike White always says; "you can't fix stupid".

I was in a local gunshop several years ago and overheard the following.

" when I was a gunner on tanks we had some special sabot ammunition that shot so fast that it was unable to be measured."

Evidently their lack of knowledge is not limited to small arms either. We have been able to measure the speed of light to within 1/2% since the 18th century. Thems some fast sabots!

Thanks for all of the entries, I have enjoyed this thread.

Brandon

" when I was a gunner on tanks we had some special sabot ammunition that shot so fast that it was unable to be measured."

Evidently their lack of knowledge is not limited to small arms either. We have been able to measure the speed of light to within 1/2% since the 18th century. Thems some fast sabots!

Thanks for all of the entries, I have enjoyed this thread.

Brandon

:roflol: Nice.

Brandon

It's been a while, but if I remember the firing tables correctly M829A1 APFSDS-T leaves the muzzle at 5454 fps.

APFSDS-T

armor piercing fin stabilized discarding sabot...

what is the t for?

ETA:

never mind... I looked it up.

much to my surprise I found the t is for "tracer"

a tracer on an anti tank round seems a little strange to me.

Edited by Miranda

APFSDS-Tarmor piercing fin stabilized discarding sabot...what is the t for?ETA:never mind... I looked it up.much to my surprise I found the t is for "tracer"a tracer on an anti tank round seems a little strange to me.

All main gun rounds have tracers. They are vital to help the crew sense the round and make corrections in case of a miss, especially when firing in degraded mode.