Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun shop experts and their quotes

Sarge

Literally just heard this.

Customer: Yea 30-06 is great. I got this friend that shoots 22 bullets through is 30-06.

Me: No I don't think so.

Customer: No he does, don't know how but he does but he does.

Me: Ok

This is also the guy that asked us if we could hear his straight pipes from the parking lot.

Remington did/does make a 30-06 Accelerator load. Uses a sabot and a .223 bullet.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Customer: Yea 30-06 is great. I got this friend that shoots 22 bullets through is 30-06.

This is also the guy that asked us if we could hear his straight pipes from the parking lot.

Remington did/does make a 30-06 Accelerator load. Uses a sabot and a .223 bullet.

It was even featured in a CSI Miami episode.

I remember those but that was a loooooooong time ago.

I have some Accelerators in .30-'06 Springfield and 308 Winchester in the basement. They shot OK, but not great.

Just checked the Remington website, and through the 2010 catalog, the 30-06 Accelerator was present as R30069. 2011 and 2012 did not show it. I would have thought that they discontinued it years before.

Sounds like this guy was not all wet. Once the Remington stuff is used up, I imagine that someone will make tools for sabots, and they will be available for handloaders.

Billski

I have some Accelerators in .30-'06 Springfield and 308 Winchester in the basement. They shot OK, but not great.

Sounds like this guy was not all wet. .....

I can imagine it now:

I was telling someone about how you could shoot a .223 out of a 30-06 using a special sabot, and they rolled their eyes like I was full of it.. dang people at the gun-store think they know it all ;)

He may have been referring to some ammo that was made a few years back and may still be in production that used a saboted .22 caliber bullet in .308s and 30-06 casings. It was called "Accelerator" or some such. Hellatious velocity and was deadly on groundhogs but the accuracy wasn't all that great at long range as I recall.

Alan~^~

Still got some of that Accelerator for the 308, utter crap. Some maroon was also making sabots you could reload yourself. Also a total waste. In the end a friend and I sat down and worked out you could buy a good used 22-250 or 220Swift, get 10% less velocity than the Accelerator with 20% less powder, 100% less grief and 100% improvement in accuracy. Other than that they worked fine. :surprise:

Told a coworker I was going to Indiana this weekend to shoot in a state match. He asks "What kind of gun?" I decide to keep it simple and reply, "pistol". He says, "Ah yes, I love pistols too. Especially 911's". blink.gifeatdrink.gif

Those are great guns in an emergency.

LMAO :roflol:

A few weeks back after I picked up my new Edge, I took it to the local gun shop/indoor range to put a few down the pipe and see how it handles. I'd been researching these for a while prior to purchasing and from talking to the PO, knew that these things like to eat .40 long. So I go to the counter of this shop which is all over the radio locally as being the "experts in all things firearms related" and stand in front of this massive bank of Atlanta Arms ammo, and ask the clerk if they stock .40 long. He looks at me like I'm asking for a box of Tampax. "What's that, there's no such thing." Uh, yes there is. "No there's not. We have any kind of .40 that you could ever need." I'm getting a LOT of attitude at this point. I ask him the obvious question, are you and Atlanta Arms vendor? "Duh, of course we are." You might want to reacquaint yourself with their catalogue ASSHAT!!!

I didn't really expect them to stock the long ammo, but you'd think they might at least acknowledge it's existence or be curious to learn more about it. Needless to say I now order direct from AA and bypass these fools completely.

You should have been grateful that he didn't have a bit more knowledge. He could have turned around and handed you a box or three of 10mm :devil:

Edited by Modoc

• 1 month later...

Sitting in a gunshop, not my preferred one, getting some earplugs made and I hear, "This ammo is 80% lethal in any caliber you choose for a shot above the knee."

WTF?

eta: The ammo in question was handgun ammo... In "normal" calibers (I.e. not 500 S&W)

Edited by a.roberts

Not quite at a gunshop but back when I was a bartender I had a regular who was a gun "expert". He just bought a 50 bmg. And very proud of it. I would be too, that's a big purchase. So I asked him about it. He proceeded to tell me all about how great a sniper rifle it was, how he could shoot a person in the thumb and the shock would travel though the body and kill the person. I said "I think the thumb would just come off"

He says " oh no, I read about it on the Internet"

Edited by J-Ho

...how he could shoot a person in the thumb and the shock would travel though the body and kill the person....

I've heard that before, and I was just impressed that they thought they could shoot someone in the thumb. That's pretty good shooting!

...how he could shoot a person in the thumb and the shock would travel though the body and kill the person....

I've heard that before, and I was just impressed that they thought they could shoot someone in the thumb. That's pretty good shooting!

LOL!

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't seen this thread updated in awhile so ill try to revive it

I was in a Cabellas a couple of weeks ago just killing time and checking out what pistols they had in stock and I overheard a conversation between the guy salesman and a man and his wife looking at 22 pistols.

The salesman is showing them different guns and the guy starts talking about how 22LR is the best round for a carry gun because it is easier to make follow up shots in stressful situations and that would be almost impossible with a larger caliber.

I just held my tongue because the whole time I was thinking it doesn't matter what caliber you have if you don't practice you aren't going to be hitting your target.