Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun shop experts and their quotes

Sarge

I guess my COLT SAA from 1888 is a "stale" gun because it was made so long ago. It is so old that no "knowledgeable" gun shop would take it in on trade for a newer gun Whadda ya think?

I will give you $50.00 and a big box of 9mm brass, just cause I need something to put on the wall for decoration. Pretty crappy old guns anyway.
No but how about 1,000 .25 ACP brass, and an ammo can full of used primers?
Sold! What's your address to send them to?
The shipping from where I live will be $7,500.00. I will require it is paid to me in advance.

No problem...I'll drive them up to you...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shopping the local shop Saturday looking for a 15-22. They had one so I asked if they could come down any since I can get it $75 cheaper online. The guy tells me most online gunships have old and outdated guns whereas they just got theirs in last week.

I always ask for the freshest guns and you should always check they're expiration dates.

I always grab the gun behind the first on on the shelf, they have fresher dates on them, just like milk jugs.

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:44 AM

MetropolisLakeOutfitters, on 19 Sept 2013 - 09:38 AM, said:snapback.png

Once when trying to buy heavier .223 ammo for deer hunting when I couldn't use my old 30-06, this fat guy probably in his late 50's came over to help.

me: "I'm interested in that 77 grain Hornady TAP-FPD."

employee: ".... (long pause while looking at the box)... (then strange eye contact while head was down)... These will kill somebody. They were made for punching through material. I mean, you can shoot somebody in a car, and they will go right through that windshield and KILL SOME BODY.... (still looking at me in a serious way)..."

me: "uh, I guess I'll take them"

Should have asked for the non-lethal .223 ammo . . .

Had a guy in a few weeks ago that I regularly shoot with, he gives me shit and I give it back. A bunch of guys were in the shop and the conversation went to the Police looking at less than lethal ammo.

A voice from the side chimes in with, "ask X for some, lately everything he has been shooting has been less than lethal" may have been a reference to a couple of missed shots at goats on a recent hunting trip. :devil:

• 2 weeks later...

I was in a local Cabelas this weekend, and I over heard a group of people ask about a Ruger 22/45 pistol,and what 22/45 meant when the sales man said it was a convertible pistol that you could swap from 22LR to 45 ACP, I almost spit up up all over the counter.I had to get one of the other sale men that I know to go help out this customer before some one got hurt.

I was in a local Cabelas this weekend, and I over heard a group of people ask about a Ruger 22/45 pistol,and what 22/45 meant when the sales man said it was a convertible pistol that you could swap from 22LR to 45 ACP, I almost spit up up all over the counter.I had to get one of the other sale men that I know to go help out this customer before some one got hurt.

Hey! Was the .45 barrel supposed to come with my 22/45, or do I have to order it? ACP or long colt?Just wait till my wife hears about the good deal I got with her credit card this time!!! :roflol:

Oh, and the guy at my local store told me the other day that, "You don't need case lube. Nobody buys it so I don't order it"... HUH?

I had to laugh at one of the behind the counter guys the other day. Customer looking at the Versa Max tactical. Salesman tells him that the versa max was no good for shooting in cold weather. He's says most guys buy that shotgun for 3 Gun and they only shoot 3 Gun in warm weather. Just had to shake the head and laugh.

Not in a gun shop and sadly i heard this is class (in gunsmithing school so makes it that much worse). Another great 50 cal comment from a kid in class. He was talking about 50's and how powerful they were.

Me: don't say they will rip the arm off of someone if it is shot close to them.

him: oh no they won't do that.

Me: Thank God

Him: but if they are shot past the face they will rip the cheek and ear off.

Me: uh what?

Him: yea from where the bullet is traveling and spinning so fast it creates a suction that pulls the skin off the face.

Me:.... (walks away)

Customer :"I am looking for .357 magnum to shoot out off my SIG in .357 SIG.... I cannot find any .357 SIG ammo so someone told me to use .357 magnum"

Guess for us shooters it is a numbers game :surprise:

You mean a .50 won't cause a time/space vortex which deskins every mammal within 100 yards? I want my money back. The guy at the counter said it would........

Well I am sure a newly manufactured one that "special" gun stores get will but apparently since most gun stores have old and outdated guns they don't shoot as powerful as the ones "special" stores get the week prior. You must have bought yours at one of the "special" gun stores.

I always contemplated buying a Hi-Point carbine and found one at a local store for a cheap price. I just don't want to spend too much on a .40S&W upper and found one of these fugly toys for something like $300 (about what they are worth).

Issue was that the cocking handle was missing. I asked the guy being the counter if they removed the handle and he said "Either we removed it, or someone else did, since it is missing. And any way, we do not like to see strangers come in here and play with the guns."

Note that I have bought three guns from this local store and a large amount of rifle ammo, powder, primers and Shoot-N-C's, probably like $1,500 total.

Sometimes it is indeed hard to support your local gun store.

My wife got started in USPSA last season using my Glock 17, but it doesn't fit her hand real well. We were in a gun store and range in northern Cincinnati area and while I browsed around she was checking out a few different models so see if there was something she liked better. She told the clerk it was going to be both a Production gun and a carry piece. When I walked over the clerk was trying hard to sell her a M&P CORE. After looking at a few other guns we asked to see a plain M&P 9mm. As he took it out if the case he dropped it on the floor. I asked if I got a discount since it had been dropped once and he said don't worry, it happens all the time. :blink: As I was checking out the gun I used the slide stop to release the slide since there was a empty mag in the gun. The clerk got all bent out of shape and informed me that that was a slide stop, not a slide release and the every time you used it to drop the slide it shaved metal off of the internal parts and would quickly destroy the gun.

I had all kinds of reply's forming in my head, but my wife was giving me the "don't start" look so I handed him the gun back and we left.

I bought her a new M&P 9mm for Christmas at another shop a few days later and it was about $100.00 cheaper.

I had a guy come into the shop a few days ago wanting to buy a scope for his hunting rifle. He asked if I could bore sight the scope and I told him " Sure bring your rifle in and Ill mount it and bore sight it". He replied that his gun was a couple hours away and if I could just go ahead and bore sight it, he would mount it up when he got home.

I had a guy come into the shop a few days ago wanting to buy a scope for his hunting rifle. He asked if I could bore sight the scope and I told him " Sure bring your rifle in and Ill mount it and bore sight it". He replied that his gun was a couple hours away and if I could just go ahead and bore sight it, he would mount it up when he got home.

Yes sir, since I don't have to mount it to your rifle the bore sighting is only $50.

:P

My wife got started in USPSA last season using my Glock 17, but it doesn't fit her hand real well. We were in a gun store and range in northern Cincinnati area and while I browsed around she was checking out a few different models so see if there was something she liked better. She told the clerk it was going to be both a Production gun and a carry piece. When I walked over the clerk was trying hard to sell her a M&P CORE. After looking at a few other guns we asked to see a plain M&P 9mm. As he took it out if the case he dropped it on the floor. I asked if I got a discount since it had been dropped once and he said don't worry, it happens all the time. :blink: As I was checking out the gun I used the slide stop to release the slide since there was a empty mag in the gun. The clerk got all bent out of shape and informed me that that was a slide stop, not a slide release and the every time you used it to drop the slide it shaved metal off of the internal parts and would quickly destroy the gun.

I had all kinds of reply's forming in my head, but my wife was giving me the "don't start" look so I handed him the gun back and we left.

I bought her a new M&P 9mm for Christmas at another shop a few days later and it was about $100.00 cheaper.

TW by chance?

TW by chance?
Yes it was. I seldom go in there anymore, too many bad experiences, they are about the only place around that carries cast lead bullets though.

I bought the M&P at the place in Blue Ash, they seem like a good bunch.

Edited by fyresq