Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun shop experts and their quotes

Sarge

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:05 AM, Crazy Scientist said:

Showing my son a Stock 2.

LGS Dood:

"yeah those CZ knock offs are getting real popular"

This one never gets old. By that logic all 1911 style pistols would be a Colt knock off.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So I have to chime in here, one of my first posts. I was at my local Scheels (for anyone who doesn't know its similar to say a bass pro shop) in the firearms section. They have a display of new AR-15's of various manufacturers, and one is chambered .223 wylde. Salesman proceeds to tell the customer, " You don't want that one. We haven't even been able to find ammo for it yet. Its a proprietary cartridge." I had literally just finished building my 3-Gun rifle in .223 Wylde. Needless to say I was not impressed.

• 3 months later...

The top 3 reasons why I don’t have what you’re looking for:

1. The government’s about to ban those. I can’t keep em in stock.

2. The governments buying up all the ammo cuz they’re about to declare martial law.

3. I don’t stock that (quality item) cuz this here (cheap crap you’ve never heard of) is better.

Translation to all three: I’m a lazy, jerk water dealer who can’t can’t get time of day from distributors.

Reason for absurd price on hacked-up old gun:

“That’s all factory-original. They only built a few of em that way & they’re scarce as hens teeth!”

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
“Sorry no Nighthawk or Ed Brown here. Kimber and Sig make some of the finest 1911’s on the market tho”.

I had a counter guy REFUSE to sell me Wilson 1911 parts because they would not fit in either a Norinco or Kimber 1911.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/18/2018 at 10:33 AM, Modoc said:

I had a counter guy REFUSE to sell me Wilson 1911 parts because they would not fit in either a Norinco or Kimber 1911.

I had a counter guy insist that the laser grips that were on a SA Compact Operator (or whatever they call the officer sized one) would only fit that gun and could not fit any other officers sized 1911.  I got him to agree that if they did fit on the other gun in the display that he would deduct their value from the, already low, price of the Springfield.  One form 4473 later I was headed out the door with a great deal on a 1911 minus a set of laser grips, that I didn't want anyway, grinning as I looked over my really low dollar receipt.

On 5/15/2012 at 5:47 AM, mgood said:

Amen!

One thing I was told early on, and quickly saw the wisdom of this advice, was never let a customer handle a gun and ammo at the same time. When they want to see ammo, put the gun away. When they want to see a gun, put the ammo away.

A guy walked in the LGS, asked to look at a 1911, the clerk handed him the gun, he fondled the gun a little then reached in his pocket, pulled out a loaded mag and inserted it then robbed the store. (true story).

Was in picking up some 7mm-08 ammo at the lgs when I was about 26-27.

Me: do you have any Winchester silvertip in 7-08?

(Counter guy goes to get a box)

Guy standing next to me:

You must be new to hunting.  That 7-08 is the new .243 , women and kid's gun.

Me: Really, I didn't know that.

Guy:. Yeah, after you decide if hunting is for you, you'll want to step up to a man's gun.

Me: yeah you're probably right.  What would you recommend?

Guy:. Well I shoot a 300 win mag.  Now that's a good dear gun.

Me: Wow! That sounds really big, you must shoot them a long ways away.

Guy: I've been known to knock em down at a hundred and fifty yards or so.

Me: Wow! I hope I can do that too some day.

Guy: Well you just have to practice and when you can keep all your shots inside a baseball at 100 yards you'll be ready.

Me: OK, thanks I'll keep practicing.

I thought it was best just to go along with it and not bring up that I had been deer hunting since I was 10, shooting the 7-08 for 7 or 8 years, most of my shots started at 150, and averaged 350 to 550 yards, and that I had shot a dear the last season at 800 yards.  With my women and kids gun.

On 5/13/2018 at 7:59 AM, TexasG said:

The other one I hear a lot is "Doctors orders, no more 45 ACP"

While looking for 185 gr .45ACP ammo at Cabela's:

Me: Is 230 gr the only thing you stock for .45ACP?
Employee: Real men only shoot the heaviest loads. 'Sides your gun won't cycle properly with the lighter stuff.

Me:?

First time gin owner in a shop while I am waiting for my turn.

Guy:. I am looking for my first pistol.  I would like something good for carry and good for shooting at the range for fun.

Clerk:. Sir what you need is this HK USP in 45 (pulls out the massive war club) it is made of polymer so it is light and easy to carry, but still big enough to shoot comfortably.  It's German so it will always work, and you should never depend on anything other then 45 when your  life is in the line.

• 2 years later...

Ok, a bit of thread drift here..... not from the LGS but at the gun club during deer season "Sight In Days" on the rifle range.  Club members are working as Range Officers and the range is open to the general public.  The RO's are making sure no one is handling weapons on the line when people go down range to change targets, they are loading and firing one round at a time, basically enforcing the range rules that are on a 8' tall sign at the firing line entrance.

We are quite busy as all twenty benches are full and there is a small wait to get on the firing line.  Guy comes up and he does not have a case, or a bag or anything that could possibly contain a rifle.  He has a Cabela's plastic bag in his hand.  He pays the $20 non-member fee, sits down at his assigned bench and motions me over.

"Can you sight this in for me?" and pulls a box containing a brand new Burris 3x9 scope out of the bag......  Confused, the next questions is "Well sir, where is your rifle?"  "Oh, I haven't bought one yet...".  He got a refund.

Later the same week, guy comes in while the line is hot, he uncases his AK-47 knock-off and there is still a 30 round magazine in it.  He is quickly informed that the magazine must be removed from the rifle and the bolt locked back.  He answers "Look man, it's NOT loaded" and places the rifle butt on the bench with his finger inside the trigger guard.  You know what happens next.  The rifle goes off, blowing a hole in the newly installed covered firing line roof.  His information was added to the "banned from the range" list and he was told to never return.  He complained to the Board of Directors about the "abuse" that he suffered at the rifle range.  The Board determined he had demonstrated that he was completely unsafe and banned him from not only the rifle range but from all the shooting venues on the property (pistol, trap, skeet, sporting clays and archery).

And no, he did not get a refund.

BC

• 4 months later...
On 6/6/2009 at 7:57 AM, Holshot said:

Back when we had to take deer to the local shop to register our kill:

A gentleman we supposed was Middle Eastern came to our shop on opening day and excitedly walked in asking us, in broken English, to come outside and see his very nice kill. We of course did, genuinely interested in everyone's good fortune. He dropped the tailgate and revealed a very nice, tan, well horned Billy goat. We were all falling into each other, crying, peeing ourselves when he drove off.

That was more than 20 years ago and I still laugh.

I used o teach Hunter’s Education with a Department of Fish and Wildlife Biologist. He always told us about the Hunter who came into the check station with an antler-less deer tag and insisted that the burro was a doe black tail deer. None of the personnel had the heart to tell him anything different. 

6 hours ago, Modoc said:

I used o teach Hunter’s Education with a Department of Fish and Wildlife Biologist. He always told us about the Hunter who came into the check station with an antler-less deer tag and insisted that the burro was a doe black tail deer. None of the personnel had the heart to tell him anything different. 

Scary and funny at the same time.

On 10/29/2018 at 1:24 PM, Drtheo said:

... and that I had shot a dear the last season at 800 yards.  With my women and kids gun.

Sorry to hear about your wife.  Or congrats, depending how you felt about her. ;)

9 hours ago, Modoc said:

In southern Ohio I have seen MANY out of towners from Cleveland, Columbus and Pittsburg(Mostly lawyer types who never hunted before) trying to check in goats, calves and even a few large dogs.

4 hours ago, Sarge said:

Scary and funny at the same time.

1 hour ago, Dranoel said:

In southern Ohio I have seen MANY out of towners from Cleveland, Columbus and Pittsburg(Mostly lawyer types who never hunted before) trying to check in goats, calves and even a few large dogs.

A big part of them not clueing the greenhorn in was at thatthe area was overrun with feral burros.  This as back before the adopt a horse/burro program started  to help manage the populations. 

• 3 months later...

Had to go back and re-read the whole thing... been a while!

For the most part, it appears I've been pretty fortunate over the years when it comes to both the 'big box' stores (Cabela's, Sportsman's, etc.) and smaller LGS.  But there are still a couple that come to mind...

About 20 years or so ago, before I started reloading, I was in a small mom-n-pop pawn shop / gun store picking up some Ultramax .223 Rem ammo for shooting prairie dogs.  The guy that ran the shop started to quiz me, wanting to make sure I wasn't trying to 'shoot too far' with this stuff (it was loaded with a 50gn TNT, IIRC).  Said he'd had to make sure to 'train' his wife and daughter to ask the right questions when people bought the stuff and complained about not being able to hit a coyote on the run with their Mini-14s - at "500 yards" 😳  He proceeded to explain how it was because the bullets were going so fast that the aerodynamic friction heated them up to where the bullets just came apart!  I played along a little, and asked "well then, what about the .22-250 Rem and .220 Swift?  They shoot pretty close to the same bullet, even faster.  But they work just fine at longer distances don't they?"  He responded with "Hmmm... maybe they use some kind of special titanium alloy in the core to keep from melting?"

Fast forward about 15 years, and the whole Hornady A-max tip 'melting' thing... almost wondered if *maybe* he wasn't just a tiny bit right (there actually is a bit of heating going on due to friction) 🤔  But I'm still 99.999% positive the problem was the 'Mini-14', not the caliber, bullet or anything physics related 🤣

A few years later I'd moved, made some new friends, and decided I wanted to trade my Bushmaster 'Dissipator' in on a Bushmaster V-Match 16 or 20.  Turned out, one of the LGS (another pawn/gun store) had exactly what I wanted hanging on the wall.  Brought mine in, offered them a trade that was heavily in their favor, and they were *just* about there... but then they had to get greedy.  Noticed that the trigger on my Dissipator wasn't stock, and asked what it was.  I told them (JP single stage), and that it cost about $140 plus installation by a gunsmith (before I learned how easy it was to work on AR15s).  Their response was that "oh, we'll have to take at least that much off the value", and proceeded to give me this song-n-dance B.S. about how any aftermarket parts might get them sued if someone had an accident with it.  I said, fine, I have the original parts still on the bench at home.  I'll go drop it in, and it'll be back to stock.  "Oh no, we'd *still* have to send it back to the factory to be checked out / calibrated / certified."  Ended up selling the thing via the local classifieds, got what it was *actually* worth, and came back and bought the damn V-Match (no one else in town carried them, unfortunately). 

The same sales person (the owner's father, "Dick") had played some similar B.S. tune a year before when I'd been looking for a custom varmint rifle.  Said they absolutely wouldn't carry anything like that, claiming that none of the 'custom' gunsmiths knew how to do barrels as well as the factories.  So when I had a gun that went 'kaboom' in my face and was returned by the factory as being certified 'nothing wrong with it' (friggin' chamber would swallow a NO-GO gauge, and dang near closed on a FIELD gauge) I knew exactly the store to sell it to... Traded it for my first Savage bolt gun, and the rest, as they say, is history 👍

• 3 months later...

I had a friend tell me his new 45 auto couldn't be sighted in properly because all the rounds were hitting in the dirt below the target.  I told him he was probably flinching and jerking the trigger, but that I could teach him how to not do that.  He said there was no way he was jerking the trigger.  I pretended to examine his gun and closed the slide on an empty chamber.  I said "Try it again and I'll watch to see what happens."  He pulled the trigger and the bore dropped about 6-8 inches.  He looked at me and smiled and said "Okay, show me how to shoot without flinching."

• 1 month later...

Was in a gun store the other day and a guy said he preferred Remington 700 to the Ruger Americans, I can't argue with that, but his reasoning was because the safety on the Ruger American was too loud....