Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun shop experts and their quotes

Sarge

I finally have one!!!!

I just went to Wally World to pick up a 250rd box of 40 since I am not completely set up to reload 40.

The cashier picks up the box and said "man that is heavy!" and I said "yeah well it is a box of lead.".

He then says to me "no, they don't make bullets out of lead anymore because it is inhumane to shoot someone with a lead bullet."

I told him that is not true but thanks and made a quick exit as to not let the people of Walmart lower my IQ...

Don't you know lead is poisonous? Of course they're not made of lead...as much as they cost anymore, they must be made of gold!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody should make bullets out of chocolate!! Hard chocolate of course. About 22 on the scale. Like linotype chocolate. Nobody would ever die... they would just get really fat and bloated. Yep, gonna ask the next wally world clerk I see if he has any "chocolate safety bullets"...

Went to this new sporting good store by work yesterday, they got a really good selection of hunting and shooting stuff, so I was checking out the guns in the back of the store, this young man comes in with his new Sig pistol that was jamming on him, I kinda missed some of his problem because I walked down the other direction looking at guns, but I made my way back shortly in time for this little Wyatt Eurp looking want a be to go to the reloading section and get a pair of calipers off the shelf and open them, he starts measuring his ammo OAL which he had bought from them, now as he is doing this I heard him say if you pull the slide back slow on any simi auto pistol it will jam, then jackpot !!! here is the problem your ammo is .002 to long............wow I never saw that coming !! Needless to say the young man left with his gun and not knowing no more than he did when he entered the store, the bad thing about it , the young man thanked the gun store expert for all of his help??? WTF ??!

I really like this thread as I have posted before. I had an experience in a shop on Friday I wanted to share but I am not really sure if it fits here. Tell me what you think. If it needs a thread that stands alone, I will create it or ask the moderators to move it. Here it goes.

I was in a local shop and a woman comes in. She has a pistol that belongs to her husband. She has some parts she wants installed in it for him. It is a S&W and she has Apex parts. She has called in advance to bring it in.

Stage set. The manager of the store come up and proceeds to decline the work. The gist of the explanation hinges around liability. They will not install aftermarket parts in a pistol due to liability. He told her installation of that kit voids the warranty on the gun. That the person that installed it would be liable. That they are not an armorer for that brand and if they were, the agreement would prevent them from installing it due to liability and so on. All these things may have some merit in law but I do not want this to turn into a political/lawyer conversation. What I want to point out is what I watched in body language.

This woman went from trying to do something nice for her husband to having a look of concern and fear on her face. When the lecture was over and she was packing up I felt compelled to speak. I walked up and told her I did not work there so my comments were my own. I told her these types of modifications were made all the time by smiths and owners. That the Apex kit was a very common modification on the S&W and that the gunsmith in the area would likely be able to help her.

When the manager came over after she left he told me he was not happy that I had that conversation in the store where it exposed them to liability. He said "I do not know that company" and we do not install aftermarket parts, period. I asked him if I brought my Bushmaster lower in, would he install a Timney trigger in it since it was not stock? (I knew they would)He said "that is a proven design" and I said "it is not stock and Apex is a known product" as a counter. I felt he was taking a stand on a grey area and his delivery was not well customer focused. So I ask. Was this in the category of "things I have heard" or should it be a conversation in another thread? Or both?

Check my filter, please......

The Apex parts post reminded me of this:

I called around a couple of years ago to some shops/"gunsmiths" (before I knew better) to see about getting a frame cut for a Clark/Para ramp. One of the "gunsmiths" told me that he wouldn't do it because it was dangerous. Didn't have an explanation as to why, just knew it was dangerous.

Obviously, this is an example of an idiot.

• 2 weeks later...

I ventured into a larger city today and stopped at two different Larger Gun Shops to kill time.

GS #1

Me - Do you have a Glock 41

Sales Person - You mean a 31

Me - NO, a 41

Sales Person - OH, a 42

Me - NO, the long slide 45

Sales Person - They don't make anything like that.

GS #2

Me after looking through inventory - Are you sitting on a Glock 41?

Sales Person jokingly turns around in a circle - No, They are not shipping them yet.

Me - OK?, I just wanted to hold one for comparison.

Sales Person - Just grab a XDs, it will feel the same. :surprise:

I left and went back to the woods where it takes forever to get what I want, but at least they know what it is and order it correctly.

OMG I was at another shop today, a very large one, I was at a counter and a female worker asked another worker how much to ship a gun through UPS . He replied only about $35.00 . My eyebrows purked up I looked him in the eyes and said , how do you ship a gun for $35.00 ? The last time I shipped a gun it was to Hawaii and it cost me $109.00 . His reply was, Hawaii is not in the United States . I had to go then, I was so disturbed we lost Hawaii and I didn't even know it.

Edited by Sudden Death

I vote we extend this discussion to include bad advise from YouTube videos.

We can sum it up by %97 of YouTube is generally bad advice. If we leave it open to discussion we will be at 70 pages before anyone can blink. HA HA!

Edited by george76904

In a local shop the other day I noticed one of the workers was carrying via a drop-leg holster (don't get me started on that).

The best part though was when I noticed his spare magazines in pouches on his thigh rig next to the gun. :surprise:

Drop holsters are ok if you are wearing armor, especially if you take it off and put it on very often. You have to get a good one though, those $20 gun show thigh holsters don't cut it in the real world. Those of us that were issued M9s used them quite a bit in Iraq.

Honestly, they suck even in that application, they just suck a little less then the alternatives. Anybody wearing one as a EDC holster is most likely just a SEAL/Delta/SOG/If-I-Tell-You-I-Have-To-Kill-You wannabe.

Drop holsters are ok if you are wearing armor, especially if you take it off and put it on very often. You have to get a good one though, those $20 gun show thigh holsters don't cut it in the real world. Those of us that were issued M9s used them quite a bit in Iraq.

Honestly, they suck even in that application, they just suck a little less then the alternatives. Anybody wearing one as a EDC holster is most likely just a SEAL/Delta/SOG/If-I-Tell-You-I-Have-To-Kill-You wannabe.

Agreed, they are a must have in body armor. Plus, I wouldnt be caught dead in a FOB bra.

Knob creek security..hilarious. I'm always amazed at the high speed low drag ninja security there.

Drop leg holsters not secured so it beats yer leg to death. Mags same side of gun. Actually saw a S&W 500 in a shoulder holster last time. Guess in case a grizzly gets lippy at the pretzel stand. Oh, and carrying 4 g17 mags...plus 1in pistol. I expected the horde over the hill any minute.