Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun shop experts and their quotes

Sarge

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'"dry firing can damage these weapons" Mother f*#ker...

In the long run, it will wear them out, just not as much as actually shooting the darn thing.

They'd like to keep them clean and new as long as possible, you need to realize that and put yourself in their shoes.

If everybody at the dealership was actually kicking the tires, opening the doors and hood, eventually after a couple months the car would not look as new.

Edited by NicVerAZ

• 2 months later...

Too many range, gun store, gun show gems to pick a few for now.

But the worst-

The Army used to have an SQT test. You read the manual, took the test, and it impacted promotions. (Long since done away with since it was not fair)

The manual kept referring the 1911 as a revolver. I was so disgusted with what crap writer could have done that I started leafing through magazines with more interesting stuff to look at. This was during duty hours designated as SQT study time. I was an E4 at the time. My Platoon Sergeant caught me doing that and was not happy. (SFC Mike Hall- later retired as CSM with 32 years of service, then came back on active duty)

There were plenty of other things in the manual that made you go "WTF are they thinking?"

In the early 90s I was a SSG and was at a function demonstrating Mountaineering/Cold Weather stuff.

A guy was very interested in the SUSV.

He was all happy about checking it out.

I asked what had him so excited and he said he was an engineer and had written the manual on it,

but had never seen/been in one.

And I think that is the root of a lot of gun store wisdom. Guys that have never seen/done stuff with expert opinions on it.

RIP '86

Ranger School '87 (Class 1-88)

Too many range, gun store, gun show gems to pick a few for now.

But the worst-

The Army used to have an SQT test. You read the manual, took the test, and it impacted promotions. (Long since done away with since it was not fair)

The manual kept referring the 1911 as a revolver. I was so disgusted with what crap writer could have done that I started leafing through magazines with more interesting stuff to look at. This was during duty hours designated as SQT study time. I was an E4 at the time. My Platoon Sergeant caught me doing that and was not happy. (SFC Mike Hall- later retired as CSM with 32 years of service, then came back on active duty)

There were plenty of other things in the manual that made you go "WTF are they thinking?"

In the early 90s I was a SSG and was at a function demonstrating Mountaineering/Cold Weather stuff.

A guy was very interested in the SUSV.

He was all happy about checking it out.

I asked what had him so excited and he said he was an engineer and had written the manual on it,

but had never seen/been in one.

And I think that is the root of a lot of gun store wisdom. Guys that have never seen/done stuff with expert opinions on it.

RIP '86

Ranger School '87 (Class 1-88)

No comment.. :mellow:

• 1 month later...

Overheard at a local shop last weekend.

Gun Store Clerk: Sir, I'm afraid you have misspelled a word on the ATF form...

Dude: What word?

Gun Store Clerk: Well, see, in YOUR last name the "I" is before the "A"...

I had to walk away. Fast.

Not the guys behind the counter but another customer and I were talking to sales rep..This customer was telling salesman a me,how glock is now making -- kel tec. Guns...

I dod not know this!

Hahahahahaha

Edited by EEH

• 1 month later...

My wife has her own small collection of guns. A few years ago she went on a BHP kick. We went to a gun show to see if we could find her one.

She's looking over a table full of pistols when the owner asked if he could he help her.

"Do you have a Hi-Power?"

The guy stepped back and grandly swept his hand across a glass case full of Glocks

"Little lady, ALL these are high power!"

My wife looks at me, looks back at the guy, and in some confusion says "But... Those are Glocks. I'm looking for a Hi-Power."

"They ARE high powered, Miss"

"Gotcha... Thanks anyway."

They both walked off shaking their heads.

My favorite is the old AR's are unreliable and AK's can withstand a nuclear bomb.......blah

Actually that statement is true, if your "old AR's" is referring to the Armalite 15 that was issued to our troops, in Vietnam, in the late 60's.

There was no dust cover, no forward assist and tolerances so tight that 8 grains of sand would leave you with nothing but a plastic club. In the jungles of Nam one of those POS weapons was just as likely to cost you your life, as to save your life. At that time, the AK 47 was a far superior weapon.

I was issued a brand spanking new AR 15, at Fort Gordon, Georgia, December 1968. I hated that POS then, and still do to this day!

• 1 month later...

I one similar to that. I walked into a reputable local gunsmith shop and asked if they did trigger work. The guy told me yes and what did I have. I said an STI that needs to have the trigger reworked. He had this "deer in the headlights" kind of look and said, "STI? What is that?" I kind of understood that, not everyone knows of STI. However, if that wasn't enough, I told him it's a 2011 design so it takes most common parts. He then told me I was wrong, it's called a 1911. I said, "thank you" and walked out.

My favorite is the old AR's are unreliable and AK's can withstand a nuclear bomb.......blah

Actually that statement is true, if your "old AR's" is referring to the Armalite 15 that was issued to our troops, in Vietnam, in the late 60's.

There was no dust cover, no forward assist and tolerances so tight that 8 grains of sand would leave you with nothing but a plastic club. In the jungles of Nam one of those POS weapons was just as likely to cost you your life, as to save your life. At that time, the AK 47 was a far superior weapon.

I was issued a brand spanking new AR 15, at Fort Gordon, Georgia, December 1968. I hated that POS then, and still do to this day!

Don't forget about the powder issue they experienced too!

Speaking of the AR15:

In my experience this is the number one most stupid thing I’ve come across in 30+ years of gun shop counter conversation. I related this tale on another board and thought I’d share it here.
Newton had it all wrong. Stopped in a large gun store along I
-75 about 2 ½ years ago and the cluck behind the counter was patiently explaining to a middle aged Fudd, “You see, the .223 Remington cartridge ain’t like your other regular raffle cartridges. It drops continuously after exiting the muzzle and if you’re zeroed at 25 meters, you should be on target at about 300 yards (so far so good, eh?), but here’s whar it’s different than say, your .308 which keeps a dropping to the earth. The .223 Remington bullet begins to rise after about 300 yards.”
Now I’ve heard some ridiculous sh...stuff standing in ranges, gun shops and at shows, but this dang near takes the saltpeter spiced cupcake. Most of the ludicrous things I’ve heard in gunshops were related to the cluck attempting to mislead the Fudd into buying some geegaw that they clearly don’t understand how to use. But this cluck was like a black hole of IQ, sucking the other customer’s limited IQ points into his gravitational field. I myself barely managed to escape the store with enough IQ points to remember where I parked and how to start my vehicle. It was akin to being caught in a short bus tractor beam.

I have a graphic illustration but am so new I cannot post it. It's quite funny.

post-60461-0-75453700-1433438561_thumb.j

Edited by palmettomoon

• 3 weeks later...

My AR does that, not yours? HAHA!

So, here is one from MY OWN shop- A guy comes in, bragging about an AR kit he put together ( Basic Del-Ton M4-type, nothing special). Says that he has a bunch of Green tip for sale, $2 a round ( right after the ATF "ban" was announced). It is useless, he says, because it is horrible for accuracy. He has a Barska red-dot on the rifle, and in his words, "I can put a full mag of 55s through the same hole at 100 yards, but the 855s won't even hit the paper." Damn. I have a 1-6x on my competition rifle and keeping under 1MOA is a chore, even though the same match ammo consistently shoots 3/4 MOA or less with a 24x scope. I can't even imagine holding a 1/4MOA ("one hole") group with an 8 MOA dot sight. Let alone with a mil-spec plastic clamp-on handguard, and the front sight still in the way. He says it is because of some special "assembly tricks" he knows to tighten up the accuracy. As I recall, the upper was fully assembled when it arrived, all he had to do was put the parts kit in the lower. Wish I knew all these cool tricks! :rolleyes:

Whooooo. Just finished reading this thread from start to finish (started at 3). This stuff is hilarious. I have been working in the sporting goods/ firearms industry since 2005, and I have heard much of what has been posted here. I'm not one to lie/BS my way to make a sale, I'd rather be upfront about not knowing and then find the answers for the customer and myself to know. That being said I have accumulated a lot of knowledge from it over the year and my job has gotten considerably easier because of it.

But some of the guys I work with used to spread some of that erroneous garbage we have all come to cherish and poke fun at.

"Dropping the slide on (xyz) pistol will break the extractor on an empty chamber"

"Putting a non-rimfire scope on a 22 rifle will damage the reticle"

All the myths of barrel break in procedures......

My more recent favorite "300 Blkout is never going to be more than a 100 yd cartridge; it'll never get popular"

And thee have been plenty from customers as well...

A few weeks ago I had a customer in our reloading area buying primers/powder/projectiles that he couldn't get near him. He proceeded to tell me about his time as a sniper in the service and how he got to take his rifle home with him and that he is now reloading for his local sheriffs department (all their duty ammo) because he could load so well. He also told me about he was developing a load for the AMU guys for 308 that was outperforming the stuff they were loading in house and that he was keeping a 175 gr .30 cal supersonic past 1400yds without any signs of over pressuring. That one made my brain hurt.

The one thing that bothers me the most though, is how people don't understand bringing out a loaded weapon (when looking for xyz part/holster/sight) and they proceed to sweep you with their "unloaded" weapon, is about the most infuriating thing you could do to a GS employee.

Also not all of us are poorly compensated; there are few of us who are employed by people who not only value us/our work, but actually strive to keep us there (those employees as well as the employers can be difficult to find). Thanks for the fun reading, I think I will finally go to bed.

Just heard a good one last weekend at the local range's pro shop. While waiting in line to pay for a couple rounds of trap, a very new shooter inquired about renting a handgun. One of the clerks instantly suggested a concealable Spring XD-S .45 and was talking about it's benefits. The customer asked "how far will this shoot?" It seemed to me that he wanted to know the practical range of the pistol.

One clerk instantly replied "these will shoot about a mile if you aim 45 degrees into the air", the other clerk added, "you can easily hit stuff out to 300 yards". While technically, both of these statements could be interpreted as true, there was very little useful information for the new shooter.

• 3 weeks later...

Was at a gun show over the weekend, small town, small gun show...One vendor was explaining that the going price for 550 round bulk pack of Remington .22's was now $50...and he was selling at cost cause he hated to gouge people. ..

A few weeks ago I had a customer in our reloading area buying primers/powder/projectiles that he couldn't get near him. He proceeded to tell me about his time as a sniper in the service and how he got to take his rifle home with him and that he is now reloading for his local sheriffs department (all their duty ammo) because he could load so well. He also told me about he was developing a load for the AMU guys for 308 that was outperforming the stuff they were loading in house and that he was keeping a 175 gr .30 cal supersonic past 1400yds without any signs of over pressuring. That one made my brain hurt.

That would require a starting velocity of 3150 fps for a 175gr matchking. Sounds legit :)