Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Benches

Jerome Poiret

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!!! What kind of spacing do you recommend between multiple presses? Also how long big is that room?

I have 24 inch cabinets under the bench. The 1050s are set so the spent primer drop tube goes between the drawer and the side of the cabinet. I guess thats a hard way of saying the 1050s are on 24 inch centers. The bottom of the cabinets are beefed up with 3/4 plywood and 4x4 blocks. They are strong enough to not even flinch when I put a case or three of bullets down there. The tops were also beefed up to allow the bench top to be screwed in place from the bottom up.

The room is 14x24. The north and east wall are nothing but bench. I got the cabinets from Home Depot when they had a big sale. I think the total bill on cabinets and benchtop was right under $1,400. I did the install.

The walls and ceiling are heavily insulated to try to keep the noise from getting out in a pitiful attempt to maintain marital bliss. Before I hung the sheetrock, it was scary quiet.

DSC02419.jpg

DSC02421.jpg

Wow!!! What kind of spacing do you recommend between multiple presses? Also how long big is that room?

I have 24 inch cabinets under the bench. The 1050s are set so the spent primer drop tube goes between the drawer and the side of the cabinet. I guess thats a hard way of saying the 1050s are on 24 inch centers. The bottom of the cabinets are beefed up with 3/4 plywood and 4x4 blocks. They are strong enough to not even flinch when I put a case or three of bullets down there. The tops were also beefed up to allow the bench top to be screwed in place from the bottom up.

The room is 14x24. The north and east wall are nothing but bench. I got the cabinets from Home Depot when they had a big sale. I think the total bill on cabinets and benchtop was right under $1,400. I did the install.

The walls and ceiling are heavily insulated to try to keep the noise from getting out in a pitiful attempt to maintain marital bliss. Before I hung the sheetrock, it was scary quiet.

DSC02419.jpg

DSC02421.jpg

How bout I just send my components to you and you load my stuff. I'll put your logo/name in my sleeve. After seeing this reloading room I really don't want to go load in mine ever again.

My new mancave/reloading room in our new house. The new house has a garage, but I like to load in a climate-controlled environment so I put it in a spare upstairs bedroom. It has all the amenities- fridge, sofa, restroom right next door, computer, and it will eventually have a TV.

In this picture you can see the two closets. The door on the left is to the unfinished attic/storage area.

IMG_4586.jpg

The reloading closet. The bench was built with 3 quarter plywood and 2x4's, with a laminate counter top fitted to the top to make it easy to clean and dress it up. Everything is attached to studs and is plenty sturdy. There's enough room to the right of the press to clean and maintain pistols. I'm gonna have to figure out where I'm going to clean long guns, but I don't shoot them very often so it's no big deal.

IMG_4591.jpg

Track lighting was installed in the reloading closet so that I can aim the light where it needs to go. The two on the left are aimed at the press and the one on the right is aimed straight down to the firearm maintenance space.

IMG_4590.jpg

The closet on the left houses the safe.

IMG_4592.jpg

Here's a bad picture of the rest of the room:

IMG_4584.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hardwood bench on sale from Harbor Freight, bolted to the wall with a pair of heavy duty L-brackets. XL650 with all the BEnos goodies, and a fancy LED set up that makes all the difference in the world. Lee Reloader set up on the left with the bulge buster.

post-38157-0-35969400-1339637045_thumb.j

post-38157-0-99722900-1339637224_thumb.j

bigtattoo79,

Thats a great looking bench..

My only concern would be running the tumbler in the house as the generate lead dust which is obviously not good for the health..

In this respect a tumbler is apparently worse for producing lead contamination than casting..

I religate my tumbler to the shed outside and ensure I leave the door open when its running infact if at all possible i prefer to set to outside in the yard..

Regards,

Peter

bigtattoo79,

Thats a great looking bench..

My only concern would be running the tumbler in the house as the generate lead dust which is obviously not good for the health..

In this respect a tumbler is apparently worse for producing lead contamination than casting..

I religate my tumbler to the shed outside and ensure I leave the door open when its running infact if at all possible i prefer to set to outside in the yard..

Regards,

Peter

Peter,

Thanks but I must say those pics are in my shed not my house.

Like several others here, we have a major space issue on our hands. We lost our previous home to a fire and for now are in a three bedroom townhouse with no garage and no storage etc. So I stole a corner from our laundry room / spare bathroom and reinforced a small bench from Lowes / Home Depot and attached it to the wall for my 650. It works great and before the 650 was attached I could stand on it and it did not move at all.

Since installing it I have loaded around 600 rounds so far and I love it even though the space is so small.

650_front.jpg

650_bottom.jpg

650_side.jpg

Yeah, I'd say you have it facing the wrong way.

Pooping while reloading seems like a good use of time. Just ensure to guard against FPT. Wouldn't want to accidentally get some lead in from the wrong end.

• 3 weeks later...

Very new to this. Haven't even got my 550 press yet. Anyway, I picked up a bench at Home Depot, ready made, that is 72" long but only 20" deep. The 20" deep part concerns me. Is that deep enough to mount the press and have enough depth for working room? Excuse my ignorance. Trying to learn.

Very new to this. Haven't even got my 550 press yet. Anyway, I picked up a bench at Home Depot, ready made, that is 72" long but only 20" deep. The 20" deep part concerns me. Is that deep enough to mount the press and have enough depth for working room? Excuse my ignorance. Trying to learn.

How thick is the work bench top? With the strong mount's I'm sure it would, I have mine sitting top of bench too. also take in mind that the tabel height and your own height. I have mine on the strong mount but my bench a but under my waistline cause the strong mount will sit higher, jaunted to be able to peek in the brass I am loading without having to stand on my tippy toes..

Thanks for the reply. I'd say the top is 2 to 3" thick. I think it will be fine with the strong mount which I was planning on get anyway. I was just concerned that on 20" depth would present a problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Hardwood bench on sale from Harbor Freight, bolted to the wall with a pair of heavy duty L-brackets. XL650 with all the BEnos goodies, and a fancy LED set up that makes all the difference in the world. Lee Reloader set up on the left with the bulge buster.

Still liking it? I was planning on building my own, but that bench looks awesome for the price.