Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Benches

Jerome Poiret

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am getting into reloading and wanted to setup a spot just for that so heres my start.

Looks good. Here is a tip though that will make the press more solid. When you get ready to mount the press put a few additional 2X4's right where the bolts would go and use lag screws.

I am getting into reloading and wanted to setup a spot just for that so heres my start.

Looks good. Here is a tip though that will make the press more solid. When you get ready to mount the press put a few additional 2X4's right where the bolts would go and use lag screws.

Add some Dillon BLUE!! and depending on if you plan on reloading bulk .223 I would go for the 650! If you are going to stick with pistol the 550B is perfect! Some people say start out with the 550 but I out grew it in less than 6 months! The main reason being that the 650 supports .223 with a case feeder. If I knew the 550 didn't have a case feeder that supported the .223 platform in the beginning, I would have went with the 650. Thats my opinion and i'm sure others might disagree, but I do plan on adding a 650 to my bench soon! So that being said, you might want to stake claim on another wall before the wife does!!

you'll need some leg supports.

maybe just one support on the far right corner

Edited by D roc

you'll need some leg supports.

You really think so? Man at 260lbs I jumped on it and couldnt make it move. I also dont know if it matters but this bench is for a single stage press.

you're probably okay!

Wow ... 46 pages long and some great ideas here... Next weekend is my "new bench building project phase one" .... I will have to post some pics when I get to it ... I'm glad I have a loving and understanding wife ... She gives me a whole room in the house to use :wub:

Here's my setup. Believe it or not, it can be done in an apartment! (I tumble the brass outside in a storage closet)

img1721dn.jpg

img1722n.jpg

Is that a stable mount? I would love to bring one of my press inside.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"- Benjamin Franklin

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_1452.jpgIMG_1456.jpgHere's a couple shots of mine, I bought this about ten years ago at home depot. Been a great little reloading table, has a couple drawers at the bottom.

I got that same bench about 7 years ago. It was the display, last one, and it had a dent and one drawer was stuck. Gave like $59 for it. Took 15 min to pop out dent and fix drawer. Been a great bench. I just finished adding on around it so the total bench is now 8' x 2'.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent a few years designing this in my head. Lots of light, casefeeder cords run through the support tubes and under the bench, primer drop tubes through the bench, beefed up cabinets that can hold primers and cases of bullets, ect...

The Spolar shotshell hydro press can knock out some serious amounts of ammo in a little time.

I have another 550, Co-Ax and 50 BMG reloader (feeding the Barrett and AI-50 with factory ammo isnt gonna happen) behind where this pic was taken. I need to get some new and better pics.

DSC02568.jpg

DSC02419.jpg

DSC02421.jpg

DSC02770.jpg

Looking further down the bench to the 550s and 50 BMG press.

The 1050 on the left is set up to make 300 Whisper/Blackout.

Both the 550s have been tweaked to load precision rifle ammo, everything from 223 Ackley to 338 Lapua. The Prometheus powder measure/dispenser is accurate down to the single kernel of powder. Now if only I could tighten up the loose nut behind the scope. The only pistol calibers I load on them is 41 Mag and 454 Casull, all the other pistol calibers get loaded on the 1050s. Sad to say I might have more invested in toolheads than I do in 1050s.

The Forster Co-Ax press does not get much mileage these days. Its main use is pointing up bullets with a Whidden die and teaching people how to reload. The Co-Ax is a great press. My favorite single stage press.

Before I got my first 1050 about 15 years ago, I loaded on the RCBS Ammo-Master press on the end. It sucked so bad I almost threw it in the trash when the 1050 showed up. But I kept it for some reason. Turns out when you strip out all the progressive guts, it is a damn good 50 BMG press.

DSC02772.jpg

The 1050 toolheads are mounted on delrin posts that a friend of mine made. They are mounted on drawer slides so they can slide out so I dont have to dig through the toolheads to get to a different caliber.

DSC02969.jpg

DSC02970.jpg