Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Benches

Jerome Poiret

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine before I moved a few months ago:

Clutch ... are you sure that bench is strong enough to hold up that vise? :)

post-44898-0-45262200-1356363868_thumb.p

That's why he mounted it over the leg....it's more stable! :roflol:

The vise must be made from depleted uranium! I just noticed that the bench leg looks bent. :D

Lol there is a single stage on the other side you can barley see that I size and decap .223 on, thats why the leg looks a little bowed. Not bad for a table I build years ago for scrap that was left in my cousins new house.

I love that little vice for grinding on small stuff!

Heres mine bought it thru CostCo for $299

this was when I only had to 2 Dillon Square Deals...

262561_2212885240176_3868328_n.jpg

Now I sold my square deals and run a 1050 to do all my reloading... I need another bench, have another 1050 and a HUGE wet tumbler coming ...

556782_4755015831852_1632880437_n.jpg

My little converted room at home. I keep one of each machine here and a few guns that I'm doing things with. The other reloading machines, larger machines like the lathe and the safes are elsewhere. The 3 white benches I made myself ($37 a pop from Home Depot) The black one I got at a sale. The little white light on the 650 is from, of all places, a seamstress supply shop. It's supposed to fit on a sewing machine or something. It just so happens that it fits the casefeed post like it was made for it. You can find em online for like 6 bucks and they shine light right down into the casing so you can be totally sure before you set that bullet on.

IMG_20130103_060858_zps36ab3a34.jpg

IMG_20130103_060741_zps23a114fb.jpgIMG_20130103_060821_zpsf6048033.jpgIMG_20130103_060811_zps1f1b2f85.jpg

Edited by JerryShoots

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My little converted room at home. I keep one of each machine here and a few guns that I'm doing things with. The other reloading machines, larger machines like the lathe and the safes are elsewhere. The 3 white benches I made myself ($37 a pop from Home Depot) The black one I got at a sale. The little white light on the 650 is from, of all places, a seamstress supply shop. It's supposed to fit on a sewing machine or something. It just so happens that it fits the casefeed post like it was made for it. You can find em online for like 6 bucks and they shine light right down into the casing so you can be totally sure before you set that bullet on.

I will have to look for the lamp... The one I have is terrible. I love the perfboard wall-o-guns!

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my brass so thought I'd post a picture of my reloading bench. I got if for half price around Xmas at Home Depot ($100). It's a start. I bolted a 2x4 to a couple of wall studs and attached the bench to it with brackets.

post-42890-0-20113000-1362195810_thumb.j

Edited by Velocat

Hardwood bench on sale from Harbor Freight, bolted to the wall with a pair of heavy duty L-brackets. XL650 with all the BEnos goodies, and a fancy LED set up that makes all the difference in the world. Lee Reloader set up on the left with the bulge buster.

Is that a Cattle Dog I see? I have 4.

post-30143-0-79481900-1362494309_thumb.j

Edited by tplace

• 2 weeks later...

My wife finally gave in and allowed me a portion of a spare room instead of the garage. I just finished building a bench last night.

We have two closets in this room so I am taking the shelves in the back of one for equipment. I have my new bench plus a piece of furniture next to the bench. I already put a electronic lock on the closet since that is where my gun bags are. I still have to mount locks on the cabinet next to the bench. I just took delivery of a new Dillon 550 that I will be mounting this weekend.

Here are pictures I took with my cell phone last night so quality is not perfect. The bottom shelf is supported underneath so it can hold the canisters of brass and bullets. Also the powder will be going in the cabinet once I get the locks on this weekend in order to separate it from the primers.

bench1.jpg

bench2.jpg

bench3.jpg

bench5.jpg

bench6.jpg

bench4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My wife finally gave in and allowed me a portion of a spare room instead of the garage. I just finished building a bench last night.

We have two closets in this room so I am taking the shelves in the back of one for equipment. I have my new bench plus a piece of furniture next to the bench. I already put a electronic lock on the closet since that is where my gun bags are. I still have to mount locks on the cabinet next to the bench. I just took delivery of a new Dillon 550 that I will be mounting this weekend.

Here are pictures I took with my cell phone last night so quality is not perfect. The bottom shelf is supported underneath so it can hold the canisters of brass and bullets. Also the powder will be going in the cabinet once I get the locks on this weekend in order to separate it from the primers.

bench1.jpg

bench2.jpg

bench3.jpg

bench5.jpg

bench6.jpg

bench4.jpg

Nice job on the bench. Looks solid.

Penquin, I promised to build a bench that looked like it belonged with the tall cabinet she already had in the room. It was an antique from her mother. I then promised to keep everything on the bottom or top of the bech or in the cabinet or the one closet. We have a keyboard on the far wall she uses and our grand daughter uses. So I had to promise not to leave stuff on the floor, vacuum with a handheld unit for powder after I reload and put a pushbutton lock on the closet as well as locks on the cabinet.

She finally agreed. Sounds like a lot but well worth being in the house in the air conditioner.

Here is a finished product.

reloadingbench.jpg

IMG_20130103_060858_zps36ab3a34.jpg

IMG_20130103_060741_zps23a114fb.jpgIMG_20130103_060821_zpsf6048033.jpgIMG_20130103_060811_zps1f1b2f85.jpg

Have you seen the movie Jack Reacher?

• 3 weeks later...

Looking further down the bench to the 550s and 50 BMG press.

The 1050 on the left is set up to make 300 Whisper/Blackout.

Both the 550s have been tweaked to load precision rifle ammo, everything from 223 Ackley to 338 Lapua. The Prometheus powder measure/dispenser is accurate down to the single kernel of powder. Now if only I could tighten up the loose nut behind the scope. The only pistol calibers I load on them is 41 Mag and 454 Casull, all the other pistol calibers get loaded on the 1050s. Sad to say I might have more invested in toolheads than I do in 1050s.

The Forster Co-Ax press does not get much mileage these days. Its main use is pointing up bullets with a Whidden die and teaching people how to reload. The Co-Ax is a great press. My favorite single stage press.

Before I got my first 1050 about 15 years ago, I loaded on the RCBS Ammo-Master press on the end. It sucked so bad I almost threw it in the trash when the 1050 showed up. But I kept it for some reason. Turns out when you strip out all the progressive guts, it is a damn good 50 BMG press.

DSC02772.jpg

The 1050 toolheads are mounted on delrin posts that a friend of mine made. They are mounted on drawer slides so they can slide out so I dont have to dig through the toolheads to get to a different caliber.

DSC02969.jpg

DSC02970.jpg

WOW...perfection. gen II prom. precision progressive. well done brother

• 3 weeks later...

Harbor Freight 'hardwood' workbench, $140 with 20% off coupon: http://www.harborfreight.com/workbench-with-4-drawers-60-hardwood-69054.html

The hardwood is more like engineered flooring or plywood, lapped together, but not at all bad, most parts are indeed wood vs MDF or other. Glued it and screwed it.

After the last bench was way too flimsy/flexible, I ensured I mounted it directly above the right side leg, vs more outside, and reinforced a bit with plywood. May not have needed it, but wanted to minimize flex as I'm not attaching to the wall inside the house.. slightly annoying side effect is I'll have to trim the right hand side drawers to get them to open fully, or move to a strong-arm/raised platform for the press, but overall, not a bad deal at all for the $.

8k3Wrml.jpg

Harbor Freight 'hardwood' workbench, $140 with 20% off coupon: http://www.harborfreight.com/workbench-with-4-drawers-60-hardwood-69054.html

The hardwood is more like engineered flooring or plywood, lapped together, but not at all bad, most parts are indeed wood vs MDF or other. Glued it and screwed it.

After the last bench was way too flimsy/flexible, I ensured I mounted it directly above the right side leg, vs more outside, and reinforced a bit with plywood. May not have needed it, but wanted to minimize flex as I'm not attaching to the wall inside the house.. slightly annoying side effect is I'll have to trim the right hand side drawers to get them to open fully, or move to a strong-arm/raised platform for the press, but overall, not a bad deal at all for the $.

8k3Wrml.jpg

I HIGHLY recommend the strong mount from Inline Fabrication for your LNL. All of his products are top-notch. My loads became noticably more consistent from the press being MUCH more stable.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the same bench and so far it's been great!

dillonpress.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have been following this thread for a long time and dreaming. Now I'm actually building my "Reloading Building". Attached is a picture I snatched from this thread a while back. I want shelves like these stainless ones in this picture.

If you know these shelves or this is yours and you can direct me how to get some, please let me know. I spent hours last night trying to find the original post.

Thanks

j

post-29172-0-17717800-1370177308_thumb.j