Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Benches

Jerome Poiret

Bench from Sam's club...$200 and built like a tank. I had it lag bolted to the wall in the previous house, but it has so much weight in bullets and cases that I didn't bother this time.

IMG00005-20110210-1830.jpg

When I first saw that bench I immediately thought that it would make a great reloading bench.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first saw that bench I immediately thought that it would make a great reloading bench.

Yeah, I just sort of stumbled onto it, and it's worked out really well. My buddy just got one to set up his first press and he's happy with it as well....very solid. R,

Well, it's not fancy, but here it is. One sheet of plywood, a piece of hardboard, and some 2x3's. A Dillon RL550B on the left for .40 and .223 and a Lee Turret on the right for .308.

post-11671-015602000 1297474219_thumb.jp

Well-built bench, Graham!

I have 2 of the Sam's club benches.... good stuff.

What is it made of?

The top is a butcher block like hardwood (1.75" thick)...not sure, but I think it's maple. The frame is heavy gauge steel...the whole thing is pretty heavy (enough that it was hard to get in the bed of my truck by myself. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

I have 2 of the Sam's club benches.... good stuff.

What is it made of?

The top is a butcher block like hardwood (1.75" thick)...not sure, but I think it's maple. The frame is heavy gauge steel...the whole thing is pretty heavy (enough that it was hard to get in the bed of my truck by myself. R,

I have one as well, use it as a work bench, not a loading bench. The top is maple. Maple is a pretty hard hardwood, with generally only hickory and pecan being native American species that are harder.

I have one as well, use it as a work bench, not a loading bench. The top is maple. Maple is a pretty hard hardwood, with generally only hickory and pecan being native American species that are harder.

Thanks...I was pretty sure it was maple, and vaguely recall it saying that on the box, but wasn't sure. If/when I get a bigger shop, I'll be buying another one to use as a straight workbench. R,

Here's my bench BD (Before Dillon)... It's no longer there as I await my XL 650 to show up and build a new one, at which point I'll be back here to post about it.

EDIT: For some reason I can't upload my image to here so I put it elsewhere.

bench.jpg

Edited by OpelBlitz

Kennedy makes some nice work benchs. My last house (custom built) had a dedicated loading room with built ins high enough to run my 1050 while standing. A corporate relocation meant I needed a bench. A friend got me a deal on a Kennedy. It's 5' long x 24" deep, butcher block maple top, a stack of drawers on one side and 2 open shelves on the left. It's too short to load while standing, but I don't load that much anymore and it looks nice in the room I now use.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I doubt my bench will be this clean for awhile again, so what the heck....guests are temporarily welcome! :P

Built from the NRMMA plans - laid out and cut on the snowmobile trailer just outside the garage at my house. Built in the basement, and unless the place burns down that's where it's gonna stay. It's heavy as sin, sturdy as Hades, and doesn't rock a millimeter in any direction.

I love the idea of the extruded rails on the benchtop from a previous poster - just might have to do that one weekend - especially if a third XL650 comes home to roost!

The legs on the bench are 42" in height - problem is I'm only 5'6" tall. Works out absolutely great for standing and reloading, but reaching things in the back of the cabinets can be a challenge. That's what a custom made "floor riser" is for! I built the legs long with the intention of cutting them down later - but it's dead level, stable and I'm not arguing with that. Building a riser with the soft industrial foam panels for standing for long periods was better.

The_Bench2.jpg

After a lot of research and hit and miss results I built my "Ultimate Reloading Bench" and thought I'd share how I did it. I thought I'd post this a while back but it seemed to be a lot for a single post so I broke it up on my blog and thought I'd share it this way.

I hope you find it useful!

http://www.recoilsports.com/2011/02/ultimate-reloading-bench-series-part-1/

workbench.jpg

My man has got safety down to a T. Notice the helmets on the bench. SAFETY FIRST!! :roflol:

Yup! you know it... those are my kid's. I'm thinking of using one of them as my helmet cam :lol:

New table thanks to dad! All the brass I have collected from the local range in the past year. Check out my blog to see what my set-up used to look like, haha!

post-22511-063397200 1305684459_thumb.jp

post-22511-086322600 1305684655_thumb.jp

Edited by rjennings10