Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Benches

Jerome Poiret

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im finally putting mine together. HF 60" workbench with a 550 sitting on it. I just put it together this weekend. I hope to be loading by the end of the week on it. The room used to be my "jam" room but since I have not played in a band in about 1.5 years now, I figured to make room for my newer hobby. I need some storage shelving to mount on the wall and a vice.

flJa7Xcl.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any drawback to using 3/4 MDF as the benchtop versus 3/4 plywood? I don't have any experience using the MDF.

I am not a woodworker but I think that 3/4" MDF might flex too much. I doubled up on the 3/4" plywood for the top of my bench and anchored it too the wall. It is rock solid.

Is there any drawback to using 3/4 MDF as the benchtop versus 3/4 plywood? I don't have any experience using the MDF.

A friend of mine has a quote that's pretty accurate, and appropriate here.

"MDF, twice the weight and half the strength of real wood."

That pretty much sums it up.

Gun powder? Gas hot water heater? Pilot flame? Boom!

You may need to review that MSDS again or figure out how gun powder works. Gun powder is flammable but it does not give of vapors which would be the concern for having a pilot light or other open flame nearby.

Gun powder? Gas hot water heater? Pilot flame? Boom!

You may need to review that MSDS again or figure out how gun powder works. Gun powder is flammable but it does not give of vapors which would be the concern for having a pilot light or other open flame nearby.

NO $HIT

• 3 weeks later...

Based on this very helpful picture

Bench from Sam's club...$200 and built like a tank. I had it lag bolted to the wall in the previous house, but it has so much weight in bullets and cases that I didn't bother this time.

IMG00005-20110210-1830.jpg

I've put this together:

post-51288-0-65310400-1388608449_thumb.j
Now waiting for the Dillon RL 550B to be delivered

Based on this very helpful picture

Bench from Sam's club...$200 and built like a tank. I had it lag bolted to the wall in the previous house, but it has so much weight in bullets and cases that I didn't bother this time.

IMG00005-20110210-1830.jpg

I've put this together:

Now waiting for the Dillon RL 550B to be delivered

Are you guys picking this bench up in the store or ording online? my local sams i don't think carries stuff to this nature. Def a super nice look bench

>> Are you guys picking this bench up in the store or ording online? my local sams i don't think carries stuff to this nature. Def a super nice look bench

I get them at the Yuba City, California store. It looks like they are available online as well:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/ultra-heavy-duty-workbench/prod1490086.ip?navAction=

Jeff

I'm still missing the drawer fronts on the right side, drilling my hole for the spent primer tube, making a removable box to go inside the top left drawer to catch the spent primers, and the box that will go over the top and hold a 4 bulb 48" florecent light.................................and then junking it up with all of my crap!

Here's a picture of the lights that I made. I bought all of the parts on Amazon and wired them all myself. I've also attached a picture of how I can use the t-track with my gun vise parts.

Love the e-track. Do you have a writeup on the lights? or parts list you used?

I don't have a how-to, but it's pretty easy to make them if you can solder. Here's a list of the parts that I used. I added connectors so I could unplug them, but that's not a necessary step. I had wire laying around so I didn't include that in the list but obviously you'll need that too.

The LED's are adhesive. You just cut them to whatever length you want by cutting them between the solder pads (every 3rd LED).

The lights:

http://www.amazon.com/HitLights-Density-Flexible-Adapter-included/dp/B005ST2I9O/ref=sr_1_20?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1390083450&sr=1-20

The power connector:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006OQIYFM/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

12V Power Supply:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EK5SNA/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Power Switch:

http://www.amazon.com/HitLights-Switch-Female-Barrel-SMD3528/dp/B006U5JWQW/ref=pd_sim_hi_37

Adhesive Cable Tie Mounts:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00975RMGO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good luck and if you build them post a picture.

Edited by BENCHMADE

By the way, you get a lot of lights on that strip, more than you'll need for this project. Others have used them to light the inside of their gun safes. I plan to do that in the future which is why I didn't mind the expense of the whole reel.

I made this a year ago and put those links up from memory. If you use the power switch you don't need to buy the additional power connectors so you can save a few bucks there too. Also you may be able to find a cheaper power supply. It was only $4.00 when I bought it so if you shop around you could find a deal. Regardless, you've got all the parts you need listed. Feel free to swap out anything that may work better for your application.

Finally. 90% finished. Still waiting on 1 1/2", 1/2 round for the edges of work top to arrive (don't have a router, didn't want to buy one capable of 1 1/2" just for this one item) . Uprights are mostly 4x4 with some 2x4, backed by another 2x4doubler in some places, lower shelving is 3/4" maple and/or oak ply, all shelving sits on 2x4 framing, work top is double layer of 3/4" maple -might be oak, can't remember which I went with.

20131116_111958_zps3c8435ae.jpg

Lower layer of work top is screwed to framing underneath

20131119_171303_zps736b2dc0.jpg

Top layer is then screwed to the lower layer from below

20140124_202721_zpsnrhlu1ty.jpg

Behind the White Door. Cleaned brass is in the gold plastic bins. Projectiles are on the shelf on the right side, below the commercially loaded ammo. Reloads are in .30 and .50 cal ammo cans on floor. Dillon 550 is on left side. Room is a bit of a mess right now, due to rearranging everything in the middle of completing new bench, selling/buying new motorhome, and adding setup for my 2nd RL1050:

20140125_090616_zpsduoqctkz.jpg

Closeup of work that still needs finishing...waiting on the 1/2 round, and need to cut/place an end cap:

20140124_202727_zpsatz0cjfd.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello all! I'm new here to the forum.....and a fairly new reloader (started last couple of years) my area started as a dingy little unfinished one room basement.....this is what I ended up with

dDlG6a0.jpg

ef54ZY3.jpg

qOUmVzc.jpg

I like the setup......very creative with the window there and all.