Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Benches

Jerome Poiret

I have my gun room and reloading room in too small a place. After a few projects get completed I have the green light to take over another part of basement...this will be reloading room.

Many great ideas here. I will be making my double laminated 3/4 plywood benches anchored to concrete floor and walls. The planning stage is most important.

What do you guys (gals) recommend for general lighting? The room already has a few cans but I will be adding more general lighting. Of course each press will have a clamp on gooseneck light.

Other ideas I will likely use (steal): air compressor and vac in another room.

What a thread!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have my gun room and reloading room in too small a place. After a few projects get completed I have the green light to take over another part of basement...this will be reloading room.

Many great ideas here. I will be making my double laminated 3/4 plywood benches anchored to concrete floor and walls. The planning stage is most important.

What do you guys (gals) recommend for general lighting? The room already has a few cans but I will be adding more general lighting. Of course each press will have a clamp on gooseneck light.

Other ideas I will likely use (steal): air compressor and vac in another room.

What a thread!

If I had my way, and the budget for it, I'd completely replace all of the lighting in our reloading room with hi-intensity White LED general AND task specific lighting. No heat, drastically reduced power consumption, better light quality, takes up less room, more flexible install options... et al.

Last weekend I went all Drill Sergeant (Figure of speach, I dont want to be a drill sergeant) on my reloading bench. Wanted to get rid of the little dance my 650 did at the bottom of the downstroke. Double 2x12 bolted together, anchored in the wall.... doesn't move.

post-32246-0-73888600-1325853215_thumb.j

post-32246-0-79621000-1325853314_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Tom, the towers on the side looks like my old head board... Nice setup!

Thanks!

That's exactly what they are - headboard pier cabinets from my son's old bedroom furniture.

Since they're 3/4" particle board I thought they'd make good cabinets for powder and primers.

Tom

Tom, the towers on the side looks like my old head board... Nice setup!

Thanks!

That's exactly what they are - headboard pier cabinets from my son's old bedroom furniture.

Since they're 3/4" particle board I thought they'd make good cabinets for powder and primers.

Tom

Lol, thanks for the idea Tom, mine are still in the garage. Time to put them bad boys to use.. :cheers:

My reloading bench as it stands today. (Sorry it took almost a year to take this picture!)

I built this bench last year out of a bunch of scrap wood my dad had after some house remodeling; the 4x4's really added some heft to the bench. But the thing simply doesn't move, no matter how hard the handle goes down on the XL 650. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to put my RCBS Rockchucker back up due to the way I mounted the upper supports; I'll figure out something, though it's not a large priority for me.

post-30412-0-95426600-1327386208_thumb.j

Edited by OpelBlitz

• 1 month later...

Took a short video of my completed setup with the new press. I'm still trying to figure out my camera as it seems to really get too close pretty easily.

Edited by Sarge

I don't have the room that some of you boys enjoy. But I like to make it cozy. I little more blue to the equation and I can sit here for hours. My best mod may be the large funnel primer catcher under the old RCBS Rockchucker. I just gave up on their old tray that never fit right or caught much. Now they load up in the bottom on the screen until I dump it in a bottle. Both presses have led lights mounted inside the frame lighting the shellplates. Also note the Lee case trimmer mounted to the RCBS case prep station. I change out the Lee post per caliber and trim them, ream em, swage em and brush em out all on this station. Just takes tapping the Lee trimmer for the thread stock and shazaam! Why they don't make em for this station is beyond be. post-38052-0-81230800-1330611626_thumb.j

binsandbuffer006.jpg

Here's mine. Not much different than many others, although I found the best location to be on the rightmost corner of the work bench. If you look at the shelf above, you'll notice six primer tubes hanging from hooks. I find it very beneficial to have six hundred primers ready for use when I'm reloading, so my break for replenishing primers is very short.

binsandbuffer006.jpg

Here's mine. Not much different than many others, although I found the best location to be on the rightmost corner of the work bench. If you look at the shelf above, you'll notice six primer tubes hanging from hooks. I find it very beneficial to have six hundred primers ready for use when I'm reloading, so my break for replenishing primers is very short.

Is that halogen lamp on the shelf what you use for case checking?

Day-umm! And some people think an LED light is good. :surprise:

• 2 weeks later...

WOW.

i'm impressed with all the work you guys have put into your work areas.

as a virgin reloader, i hope to have something setup one day soon; as soon as i decide on what press to buy(red or blue).

cheers. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

I spent a few years designing this in my head. Lots of light, casefeeder cords run through the support tubes and under the bench, primer drop tubes through the bench, beefed up cabinets that can hold primers and cases of bullets, ect...

The Spolar shotshell hydro press can knock out some serious amounts of ammo in a little time.

I have another 550, Co-Ax and 50 BMG reloader (feeding the Barrett and AI-50 with factory ammo isnt gonna happen) behind where this pic was taken. I need to get some new and better pics.

DSC02568.jpg

DSC02419.jpg

DSC02421.jpg

DSC02770.jpg

Wow!!! What kind of spacing do you recommend between multiple presses? Also how long big is that room?