Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hearing protection

What is everyone running for ear pro while shooting open blasters? My plan was for foamies under ear muffs but hoping there is better options, such as in electronic in ear buds 

If you shoot anywhere it's hot-- electronic buds under passive muffs.  Take the muffs off when you aren't shooting and your ears won't be dripping sweat and you can talk to people.

I use Sordin ProX with their gel cup upgrade. I usually take them off when the range is cold between shooters. The electronic sound quality is way better than my old Peltor sports or Walker in earbuds I have tried in the past.

I also had custom plugs made for $80 at a sectional in NH last year but I only wear them to double up when around center fire rifles. I find them uncomfortable if worn for extended periods.

I have not found the perfect setup yet.  I originally used custom molded ear plugs.  They worked great for shotgun, but were lacking for Open pistols.  A disadvantage of custom molder is the insertion process pushed ear wax deeper into the canal, where it is much harder to remove when needed.  A better solution is the Howard Leight foam 33dB ear plugs.  You give up 2 dB over the very best custom molded, but you don't push ear wax in.  In fact, you pull some out when removing

The problem with over the ear muffs is either bulk if non-electronic 30dB, or lousy NRR if electronic.  Most electronic ear cups have NRRs ranging from 19 to 23.  Some are better.  Anything under 33 is marginal for Open guns.  Then there is attack time.  If analog, double plug.  The delay is such that you hear the initial wave front of the blast at full strength before the attenuation sets in.  The best digital cut out a 4 or 5 milliseconds.  Gel cups attenuate better than foam cups.

So, IMO, the safest for your hearing is high quality, disposable foam ear plugs, inserted properly.   Then cover them with the highest NRR rated muffs that let you hear commands.

I always double-up, it's just a habit. There are always other people around shooting random calibers at random noise levels. Hearing loss is cumulative. 

My ear plugs are custom-made by injecting compound into the ear. The off the shelf plugs never worked for me, at least not well enough to where I could tell they are sealed all the time. Foamies were always a joke, to the point that I (almost) don't believe people can use them at all. Even with all the twisting and tinkering they wouldn't seal or stay in my ears. 

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, IVC said:

I always double-up, it's just a habit. There are always other people around shooting random calibers at random noise levels. Hearing loss is cumulative. 

My ear plugs are custom-made by injecting compound into the ear. The off the shelf plugs never worked for me, at least not well enough to where I could tell they are sealed all the time. Foamies were always a joke, to the point that I (almost) don't believe people can use them at all. Even with all the twisting and tinkering they wouldn't seal or stay in my ears. 

This is what I use. https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-MAX-1-Uncorded-Earplugs/dp/B0013A0C0Y?th=1  easy to insert fully, and they stay put.  There are 37dB versions shaped like this, buy they are hard to find.  CORRECTION:  the 37dB plugs are the same as the ones in the link.  They were measured using a different system.

When I wore injection molded plugs, more of the ear canal was filled.  Better dB rating, but the ear wax problem.  I have a pair that doesn't push, but they are not as good as the foam.

Edited by zzt

On 5/20/2024 at 3:46 PM, shred said:

If you shoot anywhere it's hot-- electronic buds under passive muffs.  Take the muffs off when you aren't shooting and your ears won't be dripping sweat and you can talk to people.

That’s exactly what I do.  Plus I have a wide brimmed Aussie hat that has cutouts for the muffs.

plus when I shoot revo all I use is the soundgears, great for when it’s hot.

shame they only carry the top end rechargeable ones now.

I just bit the bullet and got custom molded electronic ones from House of Hearing.  I can't say enough good about them and the whole process.  I wish i would've done this years ago.  Being able to have normal conversations on the range yet still being able to shoot my open gun comfortably.  If you can afford them absolutely do it.

I got some Surefire 24 db rubber flange ones with a plug,, cut the plug off one set, they work really well for bird hunting,, muffed just enough but can still basically hear people talk.  the other set without plugs are 26db... 
I used to always plug or use the foamy's from show up to leave, then would add muffs over them when I shot or when I was RO an open guy.
Things I noticed  at my first ICORE match..... didnt need the muffs.