Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you have enough components for next season?

Sandbagger123

i started 2020 season with 13k primer and 2k ammo .  2020 season was pretty much aa dud ,but in 2021 i shot around 7k rounds in matches and practice.  I opened my last 5k box of primers last week and intend to load it for next season.   after that i am dead in the water unless i can find primers.  

i know a few others that are in the same boat.  they had enough for a couple of season and hoping that the stuff will come back.  but it does not seem like its going to till 2023 according to some sources. 

So how many of you guys are in the same boat?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Y'all should check out the reloading discord it's an app that sends out notifications when primers are in stock at various websites midway,PV,Brownells, etc. If not for that I wouldn't have been able to shoot near as much as I did this year but with the notifications I've bought 10k primers in the last 3 months they are stupid prices but its better than the alternative. Here's the link 

https://discord.gg/reloading

create an account then go to notification selection and select the things you would like to be notified of by selecting the corresponding letters example A= SPP E=powder etc also don't be afraid to ask for help on there if you can't figure it out. There's a great group of people on there that love to help 

I paid attention in class last time this happened. I’m set for close to ten years with Primer & powder and am currently building bullet inventory to match.

And yet, the first time I can buy primers at the new “normal” price I’ll order another 50k primers.

the sad thing is that these higher prices are now the new prices and they wont drop again. expect to be paying 120$ per k forever. for primers. i cast my own bullets and lead is currently cheap but AA 7 is pushing up in cost. dies, toolheads, powder throws, everything is out of stock and pushing up in cost when it is available. 

I have lots of hobbies, and ive given serious thought to just shooting until i cant anymore and then just pursuing a different hobby. 

Ive already accomplished my goals in this sport so at this point it wouldnt really be hard for me to just do something else

37 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

the sad thing is that these higher prices are now the new prices and they wont drop again. expect to be paying 120$ per k forever. for primers. i cast my own bullets and lead is currently cheap but AA 7 is pushing up in cost. dies, toolheads, powder throws, everything is out of stock and pushing up in cost when it is available. 

I have lots of hobbies, and ive given serious thought to just shooting until i cant anymore and then just pursuing a different hobby. 

Ive already accomplished my goals in this sport so at this point it wouldnt really be hard for me to just do something else

I think primers will eventually come way down.

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

I think primers will eventually come way down.

Agreed. I am only paying 75-80 a thousand now. But I only buy when I can get them for a reasonable price. I like to shoot but I ain't going broke to do it. Add in an injury that's kept me from shooting for a month, and will probably keep me shooting for another month, and the fact that I'm not going to practice anyway and I just don't have to have primers anymore LOL

Edited by RJH

There is going to be another factory manufacturing primers that does online next year in the US. So capacity will increase domestically. No idea what that will do to price or availability of primers to the reloading market versus oem manufacture of ammo.

1 hour ago, RJH said:

Agreed. I am only paying 75-80 a thousand now. But I only buy when I can get them for a reasonable price. I like to shoot but I ain't going broke to do it. Add in an injury that's kept me from shooting for a month, and will probably keep me shooting for another month, and the fact that I'm not going to practice anyway and I just don't have to have primers anymore LOL

Plus hazmat and shipping

So 120 per k

I'm good for 3-4 years but I do see primers and powder all the time but expect to pay for it. That being said, locally I bought primers from Cabela's like 2 months ago for 65/k and passed on some last week at a LGS for 90/k but now Cabela's is 130/k....

Expect prices to continue to climb before it ever drops. 

8 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

Plus hazmat and shipping

So 120 per k

That's the part that kills you, once there is enough supply to stop restricting orders to 1-2k the $85/k wont be as bad. Occasionally you can find them limited to 5-10k orders and that's not to bad.

30 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

Plus hazmat and shipping

So 120 per k

No, I buy at academy and have occasionally found them at Cabela's, so 75 to 80 a thousand. I'm not buying primers for 120 bucks a thousand. 

The prices for all components are already dropping.  The last time there was a shortage, people stocked up as stuff became available.  I did not.  I waited until the price dropped back to normal.  For instance, I was buying Blazer Brass 9mm for $7.80/50 shipped.  Primers were $145/5000.  I plan to do the same this time.

As far as stock on hand, I have enough bullets for two years, enough primers for one year (only because there will only be 24 USPSA and 14 SCSA matches at the three clubs I shoot at next year).  I'm fine on everything else for all calibers except for 9mm major.  I only have 8 lbs. of that powder left.  So I can only load another 5400 rounds.  If I can't find more I'll have to drop some matches or forgo practice.

1 hour ago, belus said:

I have brass powder and primers for a couple years, but only have a year or so of bullets.

I'll wait for primers to drop back to $40/k ish before I buy any more.

we will never see 40/k again. those days are long over and enough people have bought them at 85/90/k that the market has now seen that that price is sustainable

its the same reason movies cost 25 cents in the 50s and now its like 40$ for two people. still the same product but they continued to raise the price and people continued to pay. Thus the new market price is now higher and will never go back down. same with taxes. same with cars. every industry really. once the industry realizes that people are still willing to pay at a certain price point theres no logical reason that they wouldnt raise the price because it means more money in their pockets. since everything now a days is dictated by the bottom line theres no company that wont get as much as possible from their product

I have enough components to shoot for the next 10+ years.  I will see $40/k primers again and I'm not foolish enough to think "they" raised the price.  Prices are a market thing; no person controls or determines a price.  When all the hoarders have all they want, I'll order a ton more primers.

BTW: 10-15 years ago, people told me I'd never see $2 a gallon gas again.  They I proceeded to buy gas in the $2 range for a long time until recently.  If you think we won't see $40/k primers again, keep buying them for $100+, nobody will stop you.  It's just like the stock market, buy them for whatever you value them at.  I will buy them when I need them, or when I can get them for $40/k.

Edited by twodownzero

The exact same thing was said during the last shortage.  People had stocked up at higher prices because they were worried.  Then there was a long period of slow ammo and component sales as shooters worked through their hoards.  Prices dropped like a rock over a 5-6 month period.  When I started buying again I could get all I wanted at pre-shortage pricing.  $145/5000 for primers.  $78.50/1000 for 9mm, $22 a brick for CCI Standard and powder for $110/8 lb.

It will happen again.  It is simple supply and demand.  Good 9mm factory ammo is already down to $17/50 inn stores and some places on line.  It is commonly available.  Prod and CO shooters who had to switch due to unavailability are now back and loving it.  They are still not happy about the pricing, but at least they can shoot without breaking the back.  Same with bullets.  I can walk into my local shop and buy poly coated bullets for exactly the same price as I paid pre-pandemic.  Yes, I would be limited to as many 500 round boxes that were on the shelf.  However, If I wanted more I could place an order for a case of 3250 and wait a week for them.  Powder is also available in quantity, but possibly not the specific one you want at the time.  If you want to be picky you have to be in the shop when they load the shelves.  Some of the more popular powders don't stay on the shelf more than 15 minutes.

You can also just buy stuff when you find it reasonably priced and swap it for stuff you want.  I found LR magnum primers for $5.50/100 in a shop a couple of months after the panic started.  I can't use them, so I swapped them for some CCI SPs.  I found Sport Pistol powder.  Unfortunately, the had no 4 and 8 lb. jugs.  They did have 1 lb. bottles for $23 per with no limit.  It wasn't highway robbery, so I bought a lot.  A bullseye shooting friend was running low on the WLPs he preferred.  I had 5000 and 300 CCIs.  I swapped him 4400 WLP for the same amount of CCI 500s.  I had a bunch of SRPs, bullets and powder left over from when I shot .223.    I swapped them to another friend for 900 CCI SPPs which he could not use.  We both though we got spectacular deals.  He found a deal on CCI 500 primers and bought 2000 of them.  He knew he could swap me for the Federal he preferred (two of his pistols wont fire anything else).

I've been  buying 22 ammo directly from CCI for a while.  I'd put what I wanted in the cart and add CCI standard to get over $100 and qualify for free shipping.  Even if I was over I'd still order the brick of CCI standard.  I knew they would go to bullseye shooters who didn't want anything else.  CCI has a one brick limit on them, so $50 plus tax and $12.50 shipping made them too expensive.  So I'd go to the bullseye range on Sunday morning, shoot, then hold up a brick or to a yell anyone interested.  I sold them for the $53 they cost me and they never lasted more than 15 seconds.  It got to be some would see me walking into the range and run over and ask if I had any for sale.  This lasted until I had acquired enough MiniMags and AR Tactical to last all next season of SCSA and practice.

36 minutes ago, zzt said:

You can also just buy stuff when you find it reasonably priced and swap it for stuff you want.  I found LR magnum primers for $5.50/100 in a shop a couple of months after the panic started.  I can't use them, so I swapped them for some CCI SPs.  I found Sport Pistol powder.  Unfortunately, the had no 4 and 8 lb. jugs.  They did have 1 lb. bottles for $23 per with no limit.  It wasn't highway robbery, so I bought a lot.  A bullseye shooting friend was running low on the WLPs he preferred.  I had 5000 and 300 CCIs.  I swapped him 4400 WLP for the same amount of CCI 500s.  I had a bunch of SRPs, bullets and powder left over from when I shot .223.    I swapped them to another friend for 900 CCI SPPs which he could not use.  We both though we got spectacular deals.  He found a deal on CCI 500 primers and bought 2000 of them.  He knew he could swap me for the Federal he preferred (two of his pistols wont fire anything else).

I've been  buying 22 ammo directly from CCI for a while.  I'd put what I wanted in the cart and add CCI standard to get over $100 and qualify for free shipping.  Even if I was over I'd still order the brick of CCI standard.  I knew they would go to bullseye shooters who didn't want anything else.  CCI has a one brick limit on them, so $50 plus tax and $12.50 shipping made them too expensive.  So I'd go to the bullseye range on Sunday morning, shoot, then hold up a brick or to a yell anyone interested.  I sold them for the $53 they cost me and they never lasted more than 15 seconds.  It got to be some would see me walking into the range and run over and ask if I had any for sale.  This lasted until I had acquired enough MiniMags and AR Tactical to last all next season of SCSA and

Exactly.  I've seen some of the more popular stuff (N320, primers, rifle bullets) for sale so I know it's coming back.  I'll be a buyer when I can get 8 pound jugs, preferably 2 or more, of the powder I want, at somewhat normal prices.  As for primers, I don't mind paying a slight premium, but I need to be able to buy them by the sleeve, preferably several sleeves at a time, and then we'll be talking.  They can keep them at the current prices--which is what is supposed to happen when prices rise in response to a shift in demand.

4 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

we will never see 40/k again. those days are long over and enough people have bought them at 85/90/k that the market has now seen that that price is sustainable

its the same reason movies cost 25 cents in the 50s and now its like 40$ for two people. still the same product but they continued to raise the price and people continued to pay. Thus the new market price is now higher and will never go back down. same with taxes. same with cars. every industry really. once the industry realizes that people are still willing to pay at a certain price point theres no logical reason that they wouldnt raise the price because it means more money in their pockets. since everything now a days is dictated by the bottom line theres no company that wont get as much as possible from their product

sounds like you are saying adam smith was stupid. Not sure I agree with you. it complicates things a little that most of the companies in the US that sell primers are owned by the same corporation, however.

12 hours ago, Sarge said:

I paid attention in class last time this happened. I’m set for close to ten years with Primer & powder and am currently building bullet inventory to match.

And yet, the first time I can buy primers at the new “normal” price I’ll order another 50k primers.

I need your job!!

It's a pain, a little expensive BUT Midway, Brownells & Natchez have primers intermittently.  Just ordered 2,000 CCI SPP's, comes with a $75 Gift Certificate too, for $200 + Tax, shipping, hazmat.  But they have them.

If you watch Natchez they'll sell 1, or 2, Flats at one time "when" they have them.

I'm up to 10k SPP & 10K LPP now, plenty of powder and bullets aren't a current problem.

I think I'll be ok for 2022, but worried about beyond that.  So I keep buying!

I just made the same order from brownell’s. I ordered the 2,000 SPP and 2,000 SRP which each come with a $75 gift certificate. Then got free shipping and $30 off by using discount code “RTC” because my order was more than $300.