Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you have enough components for next season?

Sandbagger123

30 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

Just ordered 2,000 CCI SPP's, comes with a $75 Gift Certificate too, for $200 + Tax, shipping, hazmat.  But they have them.

thanks for the tip. I just got the same ones. Sadly i missed out on george16's RTC code (but I woulda had to spend more).

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Based off what is in my garage right this second I do not have enough components for 9 minor to shoot all of 2022 how I am used to from years past. That level being 700 rounds a week, 500 being for practice each week and 200 for a match. Even if I switched to 800 rounds a month I could not make it to the end of 2022 with what is in my garage as I type this. It also sucks that once or twice a month I'm using my own ammo to teach/demo for whatever class I am shooting though I often use factory made ammo for this versus my own loaded ammo. It's pretty easy to shoot 100 rounds in an 8 hour class if you demo everything.

I just got into uspsa this past march and was lucky to find components locally along with online most of the past year. Since my season is over I'm trying to stock up for next year now because I was pretty much shooting what I could get up to this point. As of now I have enough for about half of 2022 hopefully by January or February I will have a modest stockpile to get me through the rest of the year. Hopefully when prices inevitably come down some I'll stock up for the next few seasons. 

I’ve got enough primers to shoot next year. It’s probably not enough for my goal. I’ve been to busy with other things the last few years. But I’ve setup a new dry fire space and I’m going to hit it really hard this winter, mix in some airsoft. Then see if I can stretch my supplies far enough to get where I want to be. 

1 minute ago, shred said:

FWIW, Federal, Winchester, CCI et al have announced dealer/distributor prices for primers not much under $40/K for 2022...

they’re all the same, company and that seems like about $10 more than 2 years ago. with inflation they might end up being cheaper.

10 minutes ago, waktasz said:

I have 11,000 left and I will retire from the sport before I pay $80 per thousand plus shipping and hazmat so...it was nice knowing you all, I'm gonna go ride bikes

100% agree

I have lots of other hobbies including restoring boats

I can keep myself busy and occupied without shooting. 

I accomplished my gm goal so i guess from here on out it doesnt really matter if i shoot or not

26 minutes ago, waktasz said:

I have 11,000 left and I will retire from the sport before I pay $80 per thousand plus shipping and hazmat so...it was nice knowing you all, I'm gonna go ride bikes

that should move me up one place in the overall. Any other good shooters ready to quit? I could get into the top 10.....

5 hours ago, Nightforce said:

I have enough to cover all matches for next season. The amount of practice I can perform is to be determined. After next season if things don't change I am in trouble. 

we cut way back on our live-fire practice starting about august 2020 when we realized we might not have enough primers to get through 2021. However I got significantly better with less live-fire (100 rds or less per session, 3 times/month), and had my best nationals result ever in the spring. I just tried to concentrate my live fire on recoil control, and gripping the gun so the sights dropped back to exactly the right spot and did everything else in dry-fire. Also started doing more dryfire in between live fire runs at the range. Also started paying more attention to how realistic my dryfire is, in terms of grip and vision. Even if I have to pay 8-10 cents per primer for a bit, I'm still spending significantly less on ammo.

I've stayed stocked up since the primer scare of the Clinton Administration and have always kept a 2-3 year supply.  I currently have enough primers powder and bullets to last for 2 more years loading CO, PCC, and Rifle.  

Couple of years.  Powder, brass and projectiles aren’t an issue.  As for primers stock was available up here until early this year. Given what I was seeing in the US I was still buying.  I have not seen much for sale lately at all.  What I’ve been told (and know of 1 dealer) is that CDN stock was being re-sold back into the US and really pissing off Vista.  So there is a little  that pops up but it’s 40% more than last year.

On 11/24/2021 at 5:22 PM, motosapiens said:

we cut way back on our live-fire practice starting about august 2020 when we realized we might not have enough primers to get through 2021. However I got significantly better with less live-fire (100 rds or less per session, 3 times/month), and had my best nationals result ever in the spring. I just tried to concentrate my live fire on recoil control, and gripping the gun so the sights dropped back to exactly the right spot and did everything else in dry-fire. Also started doing more dryfire in between live fire runs at the range. Also started paying more attention to how realistic my dryfire is, in terms of grip and vision. Even if I have to pay 8-10 cents per primer for a bit, I'm still spending significantly less on ammo.

Just don't practice. Ez gains

I think I stopped dryfiring when I hit A class. 

The matches I shoot each month are my practice 

Just now, AverageJoeShooting said:

Just don't practice. Ez gains

I think I stopped dryfiring when I hit A class. 

The matches I shoot each month are my practice 

that makes sense, i've heard most of the top national shooters espouse the same strategy, lol.

13 hours ago, HCH said:

If I only shoot one club match a month and keep live practice to a minimum I should have plenty. 

It also helps that I can find 115 grain FMJ 9mm in stock pretty regularly. 

start casting lead bullets. lead is much cheaper and for every pound you can cast about 60 bullets. 

you can make an afternoon of it and cast 1 or 2 hundred lbs of bullets in an afternoon

On 11/24/2021 at 10:16 AM, waktasz said:

Hate to see you retire 😆

With haz matt and shipping, I have been buying primers at $100/k for the most part of season 2020.   Expecting to pay the same or even more for 2021. 

I don't see primers be under $80/k (after haz matt + shipping) in the next 3-5 years if you are shooting large quantities.  If you only buy few K a year from local whenever they have something in stock, you may get by with $75/k plus tax.  

5 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

start casting lead bullets. lead is much cheaper and for every pound you can cast about 60 bullets. 

you can make an afternoon of it and cast 1 or 2 hundred lbs of bullets in an afternoon

Oh I don’t know anything about casting or how to cast or alloys or molds or sizing or powder coating.