Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Many Magazines?

Farmer

That depends on what division you are shooting. For Production, most keep at least 5 (I keep 6), for Limited at least 3, Limited 10 5-6, Open at least 3, CO at least 3, SS at least 6....Unless you were talking about just how many to have on hand just because...then, it's however many you feel comfortable with.

I bring 8 mags for Production. 6 on the belt, a mag to start from, and two spares.

I used to bring enough mags that I never had to load one all day; show up with all of them full. The problem there was that I kept losing mags.

If you only have enough mags for the next stage, you notice when one went missing immediately!

For carry optics or PCC? 5 mags come to the range and I work from three of them.

10 hours ago, Farmer said:

I should have been more specific and asked how many on hand. 

on hand in general or on hand at a match?
In general, I have at least 10 on hand for the pistols I compete with.  I like to have at least 5 for those I don't.  Get more if your budget allows it.  I usually but them if there is a good deal on them.  it's never a bad thing to have more...

For Production - I have a carry case that hold 10 mags that goes to the range.  1 in the gun and 5 on the belt and the extras are spares.

Edited by LuvDog

I probably bring way more than I need but Glock mags are super cheap and I get sick of rushing to reload between stages. I usually bring 10-12 mags, all loaded before I get there and then take my time to reload after I shoot.

For CO I bring 6 23 round mags and 4 or 5 factory mags just in case. As far as how many on hand, I have about 50 factory Glock mags new in box. I think I'd like to have at least 20 on hand for a competition or range gun and 5+ for a carry gun that I wont shoot much. 

• 4 weeks later...

It is nice to be able to skip reloading after a stage, for a lot of different reasons. So, production - I bring 10, limited - I bring 2 biguns and 4 18 rounders, revolver - I relax and say snarky things to those who have to load mags at a match. 

Non-competition gun, I like to have ~5.

My CO/Prod gun, I have ~30 mags. I usually bring 15 to the match so that I can shoot all day and never reload between stages. I have the mag sleeves so it is obvious to me if I've lost one.

On 6/13/2020 at 3:02 PM, Farmer said:

Just curious how many, or extra  magazines do you keep on hand for your pistols? 

I shoot production, and I bring at least 8 magazines to a match, more if it's a major. I have up to six on my belt plus one in the gun. So far, I've never needed to go to the sixth mag pouch, but I've dropped a full magazine on a field course and gone to the fifth pouch, so better safe than sorry.

For my Production setup, I have 6 magazines (and 5 mag pouches on my belt). I add the Barney round to the mag in my pocket right before I walk to the line in order to avoid any mixups. 

For single stack, I have 7 magazines since my mags can’t fit the extra round, so I use an extra magazine for the chambered round. I also run 5 mag pouches. 

For Carry Optics, I use the same gun as I do for Production so I have 6 mags. I only run my front 3 pouches for CO. I only have 5 basepads so one mag is unused for CO, but usually ends up being brought along just because. 

For PCC I run a Scorpion and have a mix of mags. I think right now I have two 30 round mags, one 20 round mag, one spliced 20+30 that’s unreliable so I don’t use it, one 35 round mag, and one 35+15 round mag. Typically I run the 35+15 for everything, although I’ll start with the 20 round mag for stages with a mandatory reload because it drops free most reliably. 

Primarily shooting CO now, so I run 4 pouches. 3 standard bullets forward, 1 set up for bullets out - the latter is for my barney mag. Don't want to confuse things with the other pouches. I keep 1 mag with a prod-sized base pad in a different color for Barney, again to avoid confusion. All my other mags have 140mm basepads.  

At a Level 2 match, or a particularly important Level 1, my starter mag comes from my pocket. Any other L1 match and it's coming from pouch 3.

When I was shooting prod, 5-6 pouches and the starter mag came from my pocket pre-loaded to 11 every time barring an unloaded start.

As far as mags on hand, I don't really like to have less than 5 for virtually any gun I shoot regularly, ones that are just occasional plinkers get ~3-4. 

For my primary competition platform (Walther) I think I have something like 25 mags now, including 3 dedicated for dry fire (permanently loaded with dummies with a Rack Buddy on top) I am with some of the other folks in this thread - I really like rolling up with all my mags loaded and shoot the whole day without having to reload a mag. Full mags go in one part of the range bag, used go in another. If it touches the ground, it ain't going back on the belt, and my "used" section is actually subdivided to separate these. God forbid I have a few reshoots and do need to load back up, I would never touch the ones that hit the ground until they've been cleaned at home.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Funny story, I shot an invitational match and two of my mags failed (spring issues) during my shoot. Bummed out I went back to my bag and threw the marked bad ones in a pocket so I'd not grab them again. I had three spares and just then the RO came over and said I had to do a re-shoot as his timer was bad! I finished without incident with the replacement mags.

It goes to show you that you never know when you need more mags!