STI officially no-more

2011BLDR

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And ZERO mention of competition on the front page of the website. Duty, home defense, conceal carry and new shooters. Soooo much LE focus in the autoplay video. Get that contract money.

Edited by rowdyb

I can’t even begin to understand such a drastic change in such a short time. It’s all about money. I used to shoot USPSA with Tony Pignato a handful of times a year. Hard to believe he is fully on board with such a radical change.

December 2018 I initiated a warranty claim on a broken Trubor, hoping June 2020 might be the month I finally have my replacement. Would like to at least shoot it before the Canadian government adds handguns to their bans.

So dumb. STI used to be synonymous with meaning a shooters’ gun, an aficionados gun... sad to see them scrap all that in order to try and get on the Timmy bandwagon.
Besides, it’s not going to work, Timmy’s like $500 guns that go bang with little to no maintenance, not $2000 guns that take $100 mags and need to be dialed in to be reliable (especially in 9mm, which most LEA’s are moving back to). 
For LEO’s, with half the guys in an agency barely able to qualify every six months, a finicky double stack wouldn’t even make the back of the page on my list for a working real world LEA...

Edited by ck1

Rebranding is a business decision. As a distant observer, I can only guess that trying to get into the line of business that focuses on production contracts vs. the small competition market is a smart business gamble.
Now now now don't get all butthurt about your precious custom competition namesake, like S& W et. al. a division of custom, high priced, prestige models will be offered to the status conscious. this is a well established, almost standard, business model that works. 

So dumb. STI used to be synonymous with meaning a shooters’ gun, an aficionados gun... sad to see them scrap all that in order to try and get on the Timmy bandwagon.
Besides, it’s not going to work, Timmy’s like $500 guns that go bang with little to no maintenance, not $2000 guns that take $100 mags and need to be dialed in to be reliable (especially in 9mm, which most LEA’s are moving back to). 
For LEO’s, with half the guys in an agency barely able to qualify every six months, a finicky double stack wouldn’t even make the back of the page on my list for a working real world LEA...

Haha this is the truth. Not to mention the price point for agency purchase. I handled an acquisition of and transition to a new handgun for duty at my agency once.. adding more than $1000 to the price of the guns we were looking at wouldn’t have been considered for 2 seconds. And while a small percentage of the guys would have seen any sort of performance benefit- assuming you had an actually dead reliable 2011- the majority struggle to safely operate a Glock... I can’t imagine trying to get the lowest on the competency scale to safely and competently handle a 2011. I’m not kidding when I say holster retention devices caused some people issues..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, frgood said:

Rebranding is a business decision. As a distant observer, I can only guess that trying to get into the line of business that focuses on production contracts vs. the small competition market is a smart business gamble.
Now now now don't get all butthurt about your precious custom competition namesake, like S& W et. al. a division of custom, high priced, prestige models will be offered to the status conscious. this is a well established, almost standard, business model that works. 

Yeah, the competition market is probably pretty small...

But, they can spend all they can afford and more, do all the “hero” marketing they want, hire every ex-mil trainer with a beard they can get their hands on, and still, the list of real-world LE agencies who’ll allow the adoption of a single-action 2011 for duty use is still probably smaller... There is no real LE/Tactical market for a 2011 gun, it’s a fantasy.

STI/Staccato need to put all that fast-roping and door-kicking movie BS out of their minds... Most larger agencies have SOP’s that don’t even trust their officers to clear their weapons/chambers before locking up their guns in lock boxes before entering secure facilities in order to avoid ND’s, and then some of these morons show up to qual and catch days off because they’ve been riding with an empty chamber for 6 months... It’s sad, but giving the average officer a firearm is more of a liability nightmare for an agency more than anything else...this is with stone simple DAO striker-guns, a 1911-based gun with a nice trigger that needs maintenance would be like trading in all the Ford Taurus units that get crashed for Porsche 911’s...

Giving 15% off to LEO’s/First Responders might sell them a few guns here and there. But, whom ever in their company that convinced them that there are big agency contracts out there, besides a few little ones like the Texas Rangers and a tiny handful of specialty units like that who can both clear the red tape and have the budget to even consider them, is dreaming.

Edited by ck1

There are only a few agency contracts that I know of.  Most of their LE sales are to individual officers like us.  They are building/shipping over 60 pistols a day, so somebody is buying them and the dealers around DFW can't keep them on the shelf.  

As far as reliability goes, whether it's the new mags or better QC, I'm not sure, but I've got 4 in my safe and they all run, period.  And I'm getting the same reviews from all of my co-workers who bought them as well.  Believe me, I put the group purchase together, and they'd be burning my phone up if they were having issues.

I was at STI a couple weeks ago, getting some grip/trigger work done and based on what I heard, I think we'll see them offer more competition based pistols in the future.  ANd I hope so.  I'm enjoying IDPA Carry Optics enough, they I would think hard about a 9mm major open gun.

3 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

There are only a few agency contracts that I know of.  Most of their LE sales are to individual officers like us.  They are building/shipping over 60 pistols a day, so somebody is buying them and the dealers around DFW can't keep them on the shelf.  

As far as reliability goes, whether it's the new mags or better QC, I'm not sure, but I've got 4 in my safe and they all run, period.  And I'm getting the same reviews from all of my co-workers who bought them as well.  Believe me, I put the group purchase together, and they'd be burning my phone up if they were having issues.

I was at STI a couple weeks ago, getting some grip/trigger work done and based on what I heard, I think we'll see them offer more competition based pistols in the future.  ANd I hope so.  I'm enjoying IDPA Carry Optics enough, they I would think hard about a 9mm major open gun.

Awesome. Don't get me wrong, I’m an STI fan and own several...

I just don’t think they should be burying their competition roots and trying to turn all “Tactical” is all... I don’t think it’s going to work for them, but if they’re selling guns, they’re selling guns...

I’m not LEO but if I were there is no way I would bet my life on an STI product after all these years of seeing the need to have there guns reworked by Gunsmiths to make them reliable enough to compete with. 
  Maybe they have gotten more reliable with the staccato line but that’s what they said about the DVC  🙄

There are a lot of instagram timmies who will get on board. 

I shoot a STI tactical in IPSC now. The frame is only 30 grams lighter.

Is the longer stacatto any different underneath the branding and slide cuts?

3 hours ago, Sarge said:

I’m not LEO but if I were there is no way I would bet my life on an STI product after all these years of seeing the need to have there guns reworked by Gunsmiths to make them reliable enough to compete with. 
  Maybe they have gotten more reliable with the staccato line but that’s what they said about the DVC  🙄

This +1000. I’ve lost count of the times I’ve seen STIs have issues at matches... DVC, Edge, et al. 

When it’s life or death... give me a Glock. 

It looks like they are rebranding and going after the contract money.  I can't see agencies paying $1000 or more for a firearm that needs constant tweaking and tuned mags to run reliable.  

There's "marketing" and then there is "lying." One of the biggest LE gun purchases ever is coming up for CBP, and it ain't gonna be a STI/Stacatto, and like someone posted early it will be largely price based.