Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI officially no-more

2011BLDR

10 hours ago, yigal said:

at least with 1911 in hand u hold real gun and not some expandable plastic toy .:roflol::roflol:

That is what they said about the M16, when it replaced the M1. Now the M16/ AR15 rules without question.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

STI lost me a long a time ago with a 6 inch .45 Trojan that sheared off it's barrel lugs in less than 500 rounds, then fussed about replacing the barrel.  Several thousand rounds later, still runs fine, Thank you Sailor Custom! 

A good friend and gunsmith I respect never would use STI slides due to cracking.

6 months or less.  Texas exotica market will saturate. 

I own a few STI's and I'm happy with them. I'm not bothered by the name change or the change in company direction. With so many options for 2011 competition pistols out there right now, I don't think STI will be missed much. :)

Wait, so... do I own 170mm Staccato magazines now? That just sounds... off.

They can call themselves what they want, but making your brand the same name as its product is a little confusing. 

On 5/30/2020 at 1:10 PM, hiker88 said:

I own a few STI's and I'm happy with them. I'm not bothered by the name change or the change in company direction. With so many options for 2011 competition pistols out there right now, I don't think STI will be missed much. :)

This is the well adjusted adult line of thinking I aspire to have.

My (Discontinued, bought used, maybe I should call and see when it was made.) STI Eagle 9mm is a great USPSA Limited Minor gun, and would be a fine IDPA ESP if I could keep track of the loadout. 

Its only malfunctions have been from trying to cram in as many rounds as the magazine vendor says it will take.    I have had one "saltshaker" and three or four "round under follower" occurrences, but only when trying to load more than 21 into a 141.25mm magazine.

Settle for 17 in the 126s and 21 in the 140-141s and all is good.  

But that is a sample of one.  

I am puzzled by their attitude, but if they are selling guns to somebody, more power to them.  

On 5/27/2020 at 8:20 PM, Balakay said:

I think the new name sucks

I thought it was a bad name for a model.  Just awful for the company name. 

On 5/28/2020 at 6:33 PM, ima45dv8 said:

OK. . .that's enough shots at LEO's who struggle with shooting.

funny, but true.... i'm an IT/support tech guy for a federal LE agency, and also the best pistol shooter in the entire agency, even tho i'm not that good. Which sorta makes sense because I practice a ton more than our officers do. I don't have to tase cardboard targets, or read mini-poppers their rights, or worry about a lawsuit if I don't get my run on bodycam.

fwiw tho, I have never had any problems with an sti gun running, and I own 6 or more of them. I have experienced some inconsistencies in accuracy with 2 of the guns.

Edited by motosapiens

I think a company made a business decision that was best for them. Everything I have heard from them leads me to believe they have not forgotten about warranty or competition shooters. I don't really see a problem.

1 hour ago, AZ1911 said:

I think a company made a business decision that was best for them. Everything I have heard from them leads me to believe they have not forgotten about warranty or competition shooters. I don't really see a problem.

Well they are not even replying to warranty request anymore, so that's kinda naughty. Yes, I am overseas with two cracked slides :) 

2 minutes ago, Kema said:

Well they are not even replying to warranty request anymore, so that's kinda naughty. Yes, I am overseas with two cracked slides :) 

Well straight from the head guys mouth is that all warranties are in tact. The STI warranty has not changed. Not sure why you have not gotten any response. 

34 minutes ago, AZ1911 said:

Well straight from the head guys mouth is that all warranties are in tact. The STI warranty has not changed. Not sure why you have not gotten any response. 

Yep, lot's of talk, but reality is a little bit different...

16 hours ago, AZ1911 said:

AZ1911, if you know the head honcho, maybe you could introduce him to Kema, who seems to be having trouble contacting said head honcho.

Nolan

10 hours ago, JohnRodriguez said:

I wonder what the artist formally known as STI business model is now that the $ might be drying up?

‘they are rushing to market their Staccato RB(tm). Rubber bullet model.   

People have already posted why large PD Departmental purchases are going to be minimal for ex-STI even before this.  The SWAT and special-ops teams in the departments will still get their budgets and cool shit because they provide security for the mucky-mucks and the other cool-guys have them so they need them too (amazingly, that's a thing)

And with any and all guns flying off retailer shelves, it's not hard to shift any lost PD volume over to retail stores.  There's nothing different about the guns.

It's when the retail sales run into an economy that realizes it took 3 months off is when things might change.

• 3 weeks later...

Throwing my $.02 in as a marketing professional.  Sort of recapping what's mostly been said into a nice package.

I'll take the role of STI's strategic marketing dude.  My primary market segment has been competitive shooting, but it's become less attractive.  Increased competition, significant warranty costs (because Ops can't build a good product), mass acceptance of USPSA divisions that preclude the use of STI's product, and a deteriorating reputation.

Then, I wind up partnering with Taran Butler and my product is in a John Wick movie.  My traditional market thinks they're a bit of a joke, but darned if those things aren't flying off the shelves.  I receive a large bonus and buy Nebraska.  People are clamoring for STI product, but those people want tacticool, not competition guns.  Hmm...I can sell how many if I adjust my portfolio?  Well then, I think it's about time we reposition our company; change the name and everything.  Something much more edgy.  Besides, it's not like Virgil's part of the company anymore.

We can sell guns at roughly the same ASP to customers who won't push them hard enough to break them.  And if they have issues, they can say 'look, I'm a bona fide 1911 owner'.

They'll be easier to manufacture, too, so greater profit margin.

And I'd give the middle finger to competition shooting, so fast, it would make your head spin.

It's somewhat humorous.  Within this thread, there's both a strong sentiment of STI not producing quality guns and a 'how dare you abandon us!'  

23 hours ago, Indy574 said:

So with this name rebranding and restructuring would you purchase a Staccato P or are there better fish in the sea for the same or less money?

I'm currious of this as I'm ready to purchase. I have watched vids of nighthawks and man they are nice but too much. Tri arc is also past the limit but those nighthawks are something to want.