Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Better with or without friends on squad

Sparky

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer to shoot with people I know and feel I shoot better when I'm shooting with friends that are better than me.

It is an all day event with about 10 minutes of me shooting so I'd rather hang out with people I know and meet a few new ones as well.

If you're having fun shooting a match with your friends.... and then don't have so much fun shooting a match with strangers, but maybe score a slight bit better.... think about which situation makes you feel better at the end of the day. It's your choice.

Me, I can go either way.

As a kid, especially in my teens, I was very shy and liked keeping to myself. At 17-18 I decided it was enough of that and actually taught myself to be more social and outgoing. As a result, I can basically switch my social side on and off like a light switch and feel very comfortable either way.

On 9/24/2019 at 2:02 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Not sure that friends improve my shooting, but its lot more fun to shoot with friendly people.

It is nice to be able to review how best to tackle a COF with someone, also.    :) 

Jack,

I agree with you on this. I'm a mid C class shooter and usually like to squad with better shooters. One guy I really enjoyed squadding with is a Master (possibly a GM by now?) Production shooter. Even though I shoot Limited, he was still always very helpful with showing me angles I didn't see and talking with me through the stage. One of my favorite guys to shoot with!

• 2 weeks later...

Depends.  There are friends I don't mind squadding with and there are some that I try to avoid at all cost.  

You have to figure that out. At least I do.  Though, I've also realized that you can't always avoid the the things/people that could cause your shooting to suffer. So, you should try to work through those issues.  

Great question.. I dont think Ive ever noticed shooting better or worst when squadding with friends - but I have had to remind some of the more social chatty guys that
- I dont video anyone
- dont talk to me while im in the hole or on deck.
- dont give me stage tips - even if great - once Im in the hole ( safety issues are ok)
- If I say i'm married to a stage plan - shut up about yours.

after a group of friends has shot together for a while all this goes without saying.

As previously mentioned earlier, it's nice to have another person to discuss the plan of attack for the stage.  The shooting sports is such a small group of people, after a while, you get to know most of them.  I prefer shooting with friends,  It make the long day of pasting and resetting easier.

As a basic B shooter, I try my best to get squadded with better shooters than me (not difficult) so I can learn something...The trick is to make friends with better shooters, so you get the best of both worlds and can learn something while enjoying good company! 😛

I’ve often wondered this myself. Local matches I could care less so would always prefer with friends. But I’ve considered squadding with strangers at big matches to cut down on the chatter and distractions. 
Sometimes friends will try to talk to me about their run while I’m on deck right behind them, can be frustrating. 
But really if it’s not fun then It’s not worth it right. Not many of us are making a living doing this 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 10/15/2019 at 8:56 AM, B_RAD said:

Depends.  There are friends I don't mind squadding with and there are some that I try to avoid at all cost.  

You have to figure that out. At least I do.  Though, I've also realized that you can't always avoid the the things/people that could cause your shooting to suffer. So, you should try to work through those issues.  

Definitely plus 1 to this post.  Especially the working through the less than optimal scenarios.

12 hours ago, elguapo said:

There are a few people I know that I avoid squadding with.  Mostly because they don't have the awareness to know when to leave me alone and when to engage in conversation.

I’m weird. Even when I’m not up, I usually don’t talk to my buddies.  After I shoot the stage I’ll yuk it up but until then, I’m zone into our. 

57 minutes ago, nikdanja said:

I’m weird. Even when I’m not up, I usually don’t talk to my buddies.  After I shoot the stage I’ll yuk it up but until then, I’m zone into our. 

I pretty much move off from the gaggle and stop pasting/resetting 2 - 3 shooters ahead of me.  I've been rehearsing my stage plan the whole time but 2 - 3 away from go time I go into deep visualization.

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot better with people i know. They are willing to give me honest feedback where as someone else may say yea the run looked pretty good. Alot of times i know the big issues (IE blew a reload and went to slide lock or  something like that) but at times it may be something simple like, dude your splits were slow you could have sped it up, or you took an hour to get on target after getting in the shooting area.