Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot a 320 X5 Legion today!

VU2AKILL

3 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Does anyone know if the grip weight is the same for the Legion X5 and the regular X5? Thanks, Eric

A video I watched last night said it was Tungsten in the Legion. The standard X5 is steel. Not sure if it truly is Tungsten or not. I think the video was by Frogbones in Florida. 

Edited by Posvar

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Akkid17 said:

I’m surprised you couldn’t just use the legion grip and say it’s a legion, especially now that  you can have an aftermarket trigger, more stippling, and a whole bunch of other upgrades . Seems backwards to not allow a factory available option grip just because it weighs more considering how much other BS they have allowed. Guess people will just shoot a $1500-2000 steel gun instead. 

That’s my point. I’d want to buy the grip module by itself and slap it on my x5 and call it a legion and be done with it. 

4 hours ago, Posvar said:

A video I watched last night said it was Tungsten in the Legion. The standard X5 is steel. Not sure if it truly is Tungsten or not. I think the video was by Frogbones in Florida. 

I took mine out before just to see how much difference it makes shooting the regular X5 with and without the weight.

Shooting sports innovation offered the tungsten 

Edited by George16
Corrected info

8 minutes ago, George16 said:

The regular X5 has a tungsten weight embedded in the grip. I took mine out before just to see how much difference it makes shooting the regular X5 with and without the weight

The regular X5 grip weight is steel.  

12 minutes ago, Shadyscott999 said:

The regular X5 grip weight is steel.  

You’re right it is steel. It was the shooting sports innovation that was tungsten. 

The steel eel with rubber insert weigh 1.6 oz while the SSI tungsten was 3.7 oz.

Edited by George16

My wife has been shooting a pair of 320 X5 pistols and really liking them. We got her a pair of the new 320 Legions. She really likes them but has been having sporadic stoppages with both of them, using 115 ball PMC and AE which runs fine in her other X5 pistols

After a fair amount of trouble shooting, switching slides and recoil springs, the trouble seems to be with the Legion lowers. I have no idea what is going on, but a possible difference is the Tungsten in the Legion lowers which may change the characteristics of the polymer lowers.

1 hour ago, GJM said:

My wife has been shooting a pair of 320 X5 pistols and really liking them. We got her a pair of the new 320 Legions. She really likes them but has been having sporadic stoppages with both of them, using 115 ball PMC and AE which runs fine in her other X5 pistols

After a fair amount of trouble shooting, switching slides and recoil springs, the trouble seems to be with the Legion lowers. I have no idea what is going on, but a possible difference is the Tungsten in the Legion lowers which may change the characteristics of the polymer lowers.

A guy had one in a local match this past weekend and he had problems of the gun not going into battery.  Seems par for the course for a new sig to have some problems out of the gate.  I like the idea and hopefully it’s a winner.

I’m probably just going to talon/grip tape mine for now so I don’t do anything permanent until I’m certain it’s going to stay with me for the long term. I’d rather not have to buy a $200 grip module if I don’t have to later on. 

I'm personally intrigued by the barrel hood cut out.   It appears first look Legion xfives, had a loaded chamber indicator, others such as the ones on Sig's site show no cut in the barrel hood or slide.   It appears what is shipping is barrels with the hood cut for the chamber indicator, but not the slides.    I wonder if Sig decided against having a loaded chamber indicator but is using up barrels that were cut for it. 

Here's a pic from an early first look gun, with a loaded chamber indicator, this one still had a solid trigger, but the legion optic plate cover is clear.

First Look Legion Xfive with loaded chamber indicator

Here's a pic from what is currently on Sig's website with no cut in the barrel hood or slide. 

320xfivelegion-top_1.jpg

On 7/18/2019 at 5:25 PM, Posvar said:

I can't imagine the TXG grip module having a tungsten weight instead of steel. Sig offers two different modules, one with the weight and magwell, and one that's just the grip module without weight and magwell. There's a $50 difference between the two. No way that a tungsten slug for the grip was cut down to only a $50 difference, well unless Sig got crafty with cost effectiveness and manufacturing? I mean hell SSI had the tungsten slug alone for like $200. I heard in the video where he says the tungsten weight in the grip but I think he's just referring to the powder infusion that creates the module itself now.

On 7/18/2019 at 11:08 PM, PGGUNS said:

A guy had one in a local match this past weekend and he had problems of the gun not going into battery.  Seems par for the course for a new sig to have some problems out of the gate.  I like the idea and hopefully it’s a winner.

LOL!

And then you get those who complain that pre-tension is what makes a gun accurate, and the lockup isn't tight enough on their example when in battery.

Moral of the story is, everyone needs something to bitch about.

1 hour ago, alma said:

Tungsten is very hard to machine. The $200 price tag on the tungsten grip weight is not an unreasonable price. 

Yup, it has to be ground.

I asked a buddy of mine if he'd turn a piece of tungsten rod down on his garage lathe for me to 1911 guide rod dimensions since it'd be about $20 of stock vs. a $100 guide rod, and he just laughed at me 😅

I noticed a couple of things with my Legion.

When I drop the barrel in the slide, it does not lock up on the breech. It is pretty loose. The barrel on my regular x-five locks up really tight. Thankfully, the barrel locks up tight when the gun is fully assembled.

The 1911 recoil spring was installed backward inside the slide with the open end facing the chamber side. I watched some review videos of the Legion on YT and it was the case. Is that how the spring should be installed on the Legion?

I initially thought my Legion didn't lock up as tight as my pre-Legion X5, but I notice that Sig also seems to lube the Legions generously compared to the pre-Legion X5s from the samples I pulled.  Looks like they are still using TW-25.  When my Legion X5 was used a bit and the lube came off it seemed to be almost as tight as my pre-Legion X5...not sure it's any significantly different and if so probably done to lower the return to battery complaints when people ride the slide closed.

Picked up my 320 Legion today. Replaced the steel guide rod with a tungsten rod and weighed it in Production configuration, 43 ounces which is within the 4 ounce allowance. I have another slide that has been lightened 6/10 of an ounce and with a Romeo 1 installed , tungsten guide rod and a 21 round mag it weighed 42.8 ounces. 

Shooting will follow.

Edited by Gary Stevens

I put the Legion grip module on my regular X-Five as I did not have time to sight the Legion in and shot with it at a match today. I sucked but it was amazing! The red dot came back on targets quicker for sure and I was kind of in panic to catch up with that. I need practice with it. My set up weighs at 43.2oz w/ a Tungsten Guide Rod, Romeo 1 and empty mag.