Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot a 320 X5 Legion today!

VU2AKILL

10 minutes ago, mellino19 said:

Although they're on the more expensive side, I'd recommend just getting the Deltapoint Pro IMO.

Do you use the 2.5 MOA dot or the bigger 7.5 Triangle.  I looked through a friend's DPP 2.5 yesterday at a match and it's tiny.  I prefer a 6 MOA dot I think.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Stician said:

I called Springer Precision and they do not have an ETA for a plate to make the Romeo3MAX compatible with the X5 Legion.  So far it appears only the backordered Romeo1Pro and Deltapoint Pro are options?

I was under the impression the Romeo Max would have the DPP footprint. Could be wrong.

36 minutes ago, OPENB said:

I was under the impression the Romeo Max would have the DPP footprint. Could be wrong.

I have been told the Romeo Max has the same footprint as the CMore RTS2

55 minutes ago, OPENB said:

I made that assumption too but after I called Springer Precision their design team is working on an adapter plate with no ETA.  

2 hours ago, Stician said:

Do you use the 2.5 MOA dot or the bigger 7.5 Triangle.  I looked through a friend's DPP 2.5 yesterday at a match and it's tiny.  I prefer a 6 MOA dot I think.

2.5 MOA, I love it. I’ve looked at the triangle version but never actually shot a gun with it. 

8 hours ago, alma said:

RTS2 with slightly longer nose, but not as long as the R3

.....I would imagine "footprint" to include the mounting hole pattern which I have been told is the same as an RTS2

I think optics are the biggest issue ATM.  Finding a deltapoint at a reasonable price has become a little hard.  I did find one for my match gun but can't seem to find one for the practice/backup gun. 

I am not 100% sold on the deltapoint.   I like the window size but hate how high it sits up on the slide.  Brightness for the 2.5 MOA dot is "ok".  I think it really needs one more setting for when you are shooting a stage where the sun is directly in front of you.  I also question the long term durability as I have read some of the issues that other users have faced. Only time will tell I guess.

I am not a fan of drilling out the screw holes on the Romeo 1 either.  I kinda think that sig will void the warranty if you do so.  Plus, that option doesn't provide any slide support for the optic, it will just be held on by the two screws.  

So I had a chance to play around with the triggers of my two legions today and found some interesting things out. 

Stock, both triggers were about the same.   Pull weights were within an ounce of each other.  Picking the guns up off a table you could tell no difference.  There is some creep, to a clean break.  Reset was ok, but not as good when compared to the GG kit.  Pulling at the bottom of the trigger shoe resulted in pull weights around 3lbs 3 oz.  

Next I took one of the Legions and replaced the trigger bar spring with one from GG. This spring is suppose to be lighter than a "stock" spring.   To my surprise nothing changed.

Then I decided to take out the GG kit out of my standard X5.  Once installed, I measured the pull weight which was 2lbs 14oz.  The creep was still there but the reset shortened up. This setup was good, just not great.

As some people have noted, the lock up on the legions are not what as good as the standard X5. My standard X5 has always locked up super tight, so I decided to see what happens if I install the standard X5 top end on the legion bottom end.  WOW is all I can say.  With this configuration, the creep almost completely disappeared.  You have a little take up to the wall, almost no creep, to a clean break.  The trigger truly feels amazing.  On a side note, when did Sig stop using the lifter spring  Neither Legion had one installed.  I also checked my new Xcompact and it doesn't have one either.

Now here is where things get interesting.  Standard X5 top end refuses to go completely into battery using the same 12 lb spring that has always worked. You have to nudge it home.  I thought the spring may be a little weak so I tried a new one.. Still a no go.  I installed the 14lb spring and it seems to be fine.  I just find it interesting that the 12lb spring worked fine with the standard X5 lower but not the legion lower.   

As a disclaimer, everyone may have different results.  I think in my instance, tolerance stacking is playing a big part to the results I am getting.  The same trigger in my standard X5 was good but became great when installed in the legion.  

40 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

The improvement in trigger pull comes from a difference in the striker safety spring.

Swap the striker over only and test the trigger. The striker safety spring is probably just more worn in. 

I will give that a try tomorrow.  The slide, to frame, to barrel lock up never bothered me with the legion as it didn't effect accuracy.  But the difference really effects the trigger "feel".  

In the end, it probably doesn't matter that much when shooting at speed.  For me, I would always want a short positive reset over trigger feel any day.  If I was shooting bullseye, I am sure that would be reversed.

With all that said, the legion trigger out of the box is very good.  The gg kit provides a slight improvement, most noticably in the reset length due to the over travel sleeve.  There may be a way to install a set screw in the factory legion trigger to act as an over travel stop.  

I may toy with that down the road.

31 minutes ago, thormx538 said:

Osage County says they have a shipment of grips en route from Sig and should be there Friday. 

https://www.osagecountyguns.com/blog/news/sig-sauer/sig-p320-x5-legion-coming/  towards the bottom of the comments

Funny you mention this, I called Sig today asking about the Legion module. They're taking back orders. $299 for the module with weight and controls (I assume just the mag release) or $249 for the module with no weight or controls. I'm assuming the weight in the grip is the same that's in the original X5 grip module. I'd imagine it comes with a magwell. Those are Sig direct prices, so the prices on Osage reflect better retail pricing and go along with what I was told.

Edited by mellino19

6 hours ago, Shmella said:

So since the legion is on the production list can we slap a grip module on a regular x5 and be good to go in prod?

No. Too heavy for a standard X5. Would be okay for CO 

54 minutes ago, Shmella said:

If you hold an x5 and an x5 legion side by side what are the differences besides the grip?

Visually?   Legion has a cut in the barrel for the Loaded chamber indicator, the color, and the rear sight plate.  The Legion slide has the legion logo on the plate.  The Legion also has a larger optics cut to account for the Deltapoint and Romeo 1 pro.

I guess you could argue that you were using all Sig factory parts "on" a production gun.  

I’m surprised you couldn’t just use the legion grip and say it’s a legion, especially now that  you can have an aftermarket trigger, more stippling, and a whole bunch of other upgrades . Seems backwards to not allow a factory available option grip just because it weighs more considering how much other BS they have allowed. Guess people will just shoot a $1500-2000 steel gun instead. 

Technically, if the FCU is from a Legion, the gun is a Legion, and subject to the production weight limit for the Legion. Only you would know, but the line is drawn somewhere. However much is seems to be moving recently.