Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting on your back feet down range of the muzzle?

CZ85Combat

A stage with a low port, Shooter lays down on is back with feet towards the port.  shooting between his feet that are down range of the muzzle? what you thoughts on this, ok or DQ?

Edited by CZ85Combat

A stage with a low port, Shooter lays down on is back with feet towards the port.  shooting between his feet that are down range of the muzzle? what you thoughts on this, ok or DQ?

as long as he doesn't sweep his feet it's totally fine. it's stupid for recoil control but NOT unsafe unless competitor becomes unsafe

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Not much difference than falling flat on your back in a match, been there done that, as long as you didn't sweep yourself, got up safely and continued on.  Now I never did that and fired a shot though, either on purpose or by accident.

Saw this clip from World Shoot VII over in the "Open Pistols" forum in the thread "How Long have Open GunsExisted?"

Time stamp is 23:05 if it doesn't autoplay from that point. 

On 3/9/2019 at 5:17 PM, robchavous said:

John Vlieger posted a video on his shooting FB page a while back talking about prone vs supine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

And John knows what he's doing.  That said, it's not for everybody.

Wonder if that clip is why this thread was started?

Edited by teros135

1 hour ago, broadus123 said:

I wouldn't want a new shooter trying this !

New shooters should be cautious about most "advanced" moves in action shooting - like moving reloads, retreat starts, moving in the weak-hand direction, moving around walls and ports, doors and doorknobs, and all the other skills we have to learn.  This one is admittedly farther along and (like all the others) should be practiced before using it in a match.

I made this video to answer this exact question. It's not for everyone, but it has its uses. Entering the position safely, and making it OBVIOUS that you're safe, is the key point. 

https://www.facebook.com/JohnVliegerShooting/videos/595253300838685/%3Fcomment_id%3D596694357361246%26comment_tracking%3D%257B%2522tn%2522%253A%2522R0%2522%257D&ved=2ahUKEwjmrIGHzPjgAhUB7IMKHQtHBxkQFjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw0VD4PovTYA5bZbk3NCtIwT&cshid=1552255989284

20 hours ago, teros135 said:

And John knows what he's doing.  That said, it's not for everybody.

Wonder if that clip is why this thread was started.  If so, it would be better to just be up front about it.  

No never seen Johns video

On 3/9/2019 at 2:09 PM, CZ85Combat said:

Supine position, used by one flavor of Metallic Silhouette Shooting.

I have shot silhouette, but the NRA version, only offhand.  I have never been a fan of supine position for obvious safety issues but it is a valid position.

• 3 weeks later...

I was gonna say, I’ve seen a handful of top-level shooters going to that position in some major match videos. Names I can think of are KC Eusebio, JJ, maybe Chris Tilley? Definitely doable, but I guess it depends on how much you trust yourself. I’d imagine recoil control is trash since you don’t have as much mass behind the gun though.

Shot this way a few times. Usually in tactical training. Basically what to do if you get knocked on your ass. I remember taking a class from Jim Cirillo on it back in the 90’s. He taught using a version of the  Crimson Trace laser. Made it really obvious all the many, many times he swept himself.