Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther new steel frame competition Q5

mikeAZ

11 minutes ago, Elgin said:

That's how I read it.

I'm still a newbie to all of this, and still familiarizing myself with the rules, but anyone have any thoughts why it wouldn't eventually be production legal?

It is production legal, just not with the magwell.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/22/2019 at 3:30 PM, Elgin said:

I've been hemming and hawing on getting a Q5 Match, but with my Canik TP9SFX, I didn't feel like there was enough of a difference to justify. Well, I stopped by one of the shops I frequent, and they had one SF in stock, and it was marked for $1210 (not the pro model). Lowest price I had seen, and I couldn't pass. Had to put in on layaway, but should be picking it up late next week. When they were ringing it up, the price came up at $1340, but since they labelled it wrong, they gave me the $1210 price, Super excited to try this one out.

good deal man..Nice

Have one on order. If I want to start in production but move to carry optics at some point, which mag capacity do I get? I assume the 17 round mags from the pro for in the base model? Which mag extension for CO? Where is the best place to buy mags for this thing?

The Pro model comes with three 17 round magazines with base pads and the standard SF comes with 15 round magazines.  For magazines extensions you can get them at Taylor Freelance.  I purchase my extra magazines from MidwayUSA.

On 1/24/2019 at 7:22 AM, Jeff O said:

It is production legal, just not with the magwell.

Thats not how I read it.  It’s Carry Optics legal, but not with the magwell. It’s still pending 2000 units sold and NROI inspection to become Production legal. 

54 minutes ago, Chris_C said:

Thats not how I read it.  It’s Carry Optics legal, but not with the magwell. It’s still pending 2000 units sold and NROI inspection to become Production legal. 

It is ready on production list.

https://uspsa.org/productionlist

Q5 Match SF (Steel Frame) .(41.6 oz.)

Oops, didn't read the notes. Notes not so obvious when viewed from smart phone. Thanks for the clarification.

Anyhow, I ordered mine, so doing my part to get to 2000. Also ordered holster from Red hill, 30 day lead time. I would hope by the time I get my holster it it good to go...

Josh

8 minutes ago, motherFNbrandon said:

Why is the CO production unit minimum 500 when it needs to already be on the Prod list which has a production unit minimum of 2000?

So that they can get one of their biggest sponsor’s guns into matches generating publicity & revenue earlier. Duh.

local Walther rep let me shoot the SF . i shot the ppq in the past and shoot a canik sfx in CO.  the biggest difference was the weight.  the thing is bottom heavy now and it balances it out .  i got to shoot 100 rounds out of it.   the recoil due to the weight was almost non existant . recoiled less than my sfx .  the grip fit my small hand well.   one thing i wish they had done at the factory is to put a freedom smith style trigger in it . the stock one with the takeup is just no comparision .    

the front sight could be a little thinner ,but thats personal preference .  is it nice enough for me to replace my SFX?  not really .  the freedom smith trigger on a canik makes it shine.  also, walther need to be less proud of their mags.  $50 a mag is getting up there. 

On 1/28/2019 at 12:05 PM, motherFNbrandon said:

of course. politics.

i'm guessing it was also walther that made the push for CO light and CO heavy in IPSC, seeing as they now have options for both divisions.

FWIW, the 500 example bit has been in effect for CO for a while - that was the avenue you could use to make a gun CO legal that otherwise wasn't on the production list. I'm more likely inclined to say that the current 500 example threshold is due to that legacy - not any particular shenanigans on Walther's part. To be honest, I'd have more predicted a lower volume/higher price manufacturer a la CZ or EAA/Tanfo would have been behind the 500 unit limit that Walther.

As for IPSC, well, I'd be more inclined to say that Walther was behind the first-pull trigger weight change than anything else. The light vs. heavy distinction probably came just as much from other polymer pistol makers who might be upset their offerings aren't necessarily 'meta' anymore (e.g. Glock/S&W)

6 hours ago, B_RAD said:

Shot a Q5 SF today. Really liked it!  As fast as I could pull the trigger (.15’s) at 10 yds, baseball sized group in the A zone! 

I like!

Do you have any time behind the plastic Q5?  If so, how do the ergonomics compare?

5 hours ago, Code3FPV said:

Do you have any time behind the plastic Q5?  If so, how do the ergonomics compare?

I borrowed one for a few weeks and shot about 500 rnds thru it.

The SF has a fatter grip and I prefer it to the plastic grip. I feel you can get a better hold/grip on the gun for fast shooting. The grip lengths are the same (or very close). Folks with xlarge hands feel it's a little short. I have med/large and it doesn't bother me. With the thicker grip, I have to shift the gun in the hand to reach the mag release. On the plastic Q5 I didn't have to shift the gun at all.  That doesn't bother me because I'm used to doing it. 

On 1/1/2019 at 12:59 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

The standard Q5, is with similar cuts.

@random_guy7531 you weren’t thinking globally. No one was willing to produce metal striker competition guns because they would only sell in USA. The reason you don’f see Glocks in IPSC is (1) the 34 isn’t production legal, only the 17. And (2) you have to have a 5lb trigger for the first shot. That’s why DA/SA always ruled overseas. No one wants to shoot a Walther/Glock/M&P/XD with a 5lb trigger.

This year they dropped the pull weight to something like 3.0-3.5 and the striker guns aren’t unmarketable anymore. They can sell steel Q5s worldwide to USPSA and IPSC competitiors.

@HoMiE

PPQ mags are easy to get 23+1 into for carry optics. Run flawlessly. TTI basepad, and a gram’s spring and basepad meant for the P320.

I have a walther Q5 match sf that will be here tomorrow. Also have a TTI base pad +5 coming tomorrow. I have a Graham’s spring and follower for p320 140mm length and that will get me 23 rounds in it for carry optics?

38 minutes ago, dfox said:

I have a walther Q5 match sf that will be here tomorrow. Also have a TTI base pad +5 coming tomorrow. I have a Graham’s spring and follower for p320 140mm length and that will get me 23 rounds in it for carry optics?

Yes. That’s what I’ve been running. A tight 23(+1, if needed) to start, and 22 easily reloadable. You’ll have to grind the tab off the follower that locks the gun open but it works great otherwise.

There’s a recipe I was just turned on to by another shooter which uses a Canik mag tube and apparently gets you a reloadable 23. I haven’t tried it, and don’t know how “reloadable” it is.

23 in a Walther/TTI/Grahams320 recipe is reloadable, if you drive it in hard and distract yourself from the stage plan to ensure that it’s seated. With 22 in them the click into place as easily as a factory mag.

The recipe suggested is below. I’m 125fmj, and he hasn’t returned to answer my questions yet:

AA270CAC-0C46-40C4-BEE5-8B2BF8434FB4.thumb.jpeg.d4b497029b3d0db6807bcc2a2d39d451.jpeg

Edited by MemphisMechanic