Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther new steel frame competition Q5

mikeAZ

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Honeybooboo said:

So pro model is targeted for 3 gun I’m assuming?

I’d say that’d be it’s primary use, but you could also use it in IDPA ESP (assuming it meets all the other criteria), or in Limited (either minor, or major if you can find a .40 conversion barrel- not sure if it even exists for the Q5/PPQ). 

4 minutes ago, obsessiveshooter said:

They are doing the win-for-walther program for Limited, so one would assume that they will make the Pro model in .40. But, no indications of that yet.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

They make the regular PPQ (including the 5”) in .40, but not the Q5 so far. At least that’s what it looks like according to their website. 

On 1/3/2019 at 12:23 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Gun weighs 41.6 oz

You lose a little bit of weight ditching the plate with an adjustable sight for the blank one that mounts a dot. Perhaps half an ounce?

My Deltapoint Pro is one of the heavier dots, at 1.9oz.

That should put you right at 43-43.5oz.

Now, I just got my scale out for the following. These are exact weights, so hopefully the gun’s 41.6oz weight is listed with a magazine inserted!

Factory 15rd mag:

3.00 oz

23rd mag (TTI pad, grams guts for P320:)

4.13oz

Are the TTI pads lighter than the TF +6’s that Walther sells? I just ordered the Q5 SF from gunbuyer. Trying to decide on components. I feel like the DPP is the optic I’m going to get. Currently shooting an X5 with a R1. This is my first go with Walther. But from what I can find, it uses standard PPQ magazines and the TTI is a +5 and the TF is +6. Grams gives you an additional +2? 

contingency programs encourage people to sandbag in the worst possible way. you also spend thousands of dollars trying to win hundreds of dollars. it's all a false economy.

until i see someone doing the racing privateer in a van equivalent in uspsa i won't think a contingency program is worth much to the shooter. (by that i mean could a really good shooter, just drive the van or rv they are living in from major to major and win enough each weekend to cover all their expenses, get to the next major and still also put some in the bank).  now yes, people did win money for sure with the program but i'd love to see an honest accounting of costs incurred (and taxes paid) and then see if there was any net gain to more than a handful of shooters.

sorry for going off topic, but as this gun is highly connected to the program i felt it was somewhat tangential.

which do you think is more difficult to master? the da/sa pull you do once a stage or controlling a very light polymer framed pistol as you shoot throughout a stage?

contingency programs encourage people to sandbag in the worst possible way. you also spend thousands of dollars trying to win hundreds of dollars. it's all a false economy.   until i see someone doing the racing privateer in a van equivalent in uspsa i won't think a contingency program is worth much to the shooter. (by that i mean could a really good shooter, just drive the van or rv they are living in from major to major and win enough each weekend to cover all their expenses, get to the next major and still also put some in the bank).  now yes, people did win money for sure with the program but i'd love to see an honest accounting of costs incurred (and taxes paid) and then see if there was any net gain to more than a handful of shooters.  

sorry for going off topic, but as this gun is highly connected to the program i felt it was somewhat tangential.

which do you think is more difficult to master? the da/sa pull you do once a stage or controlling a very light polymer framed pistol as you shoot throughout a stage?

Yes, Walther has been doing the program for a long time now, but I bet they haven’t paid much at all. I recall checking over the various competition rosters last year and seeing maybe about 5% of competitive shooters, if that, were shooting Walther. Here’s the thing about Walther that shooters who transition over may soon discover: their aftermarket support has always been abysmal. For most of their guns you have one or two options for sights. Mags are expensive. Parts are not easy to come by, and there aren’t many shops that work on them.  

Obviously they are pushing harder now with this product, trying to reach out to competitive shooters. This could work “if” they get it together with the community and vendors for aftermarket support ( ala Glock and CZ). Will there be an ecosystem by which competitive shooters can get parts, customize guns, etc? That’s the big “if” here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, faustrocket said:

since aftermarket support needs a profitable market to exist, this New gun might be out there in sufficient  numbers to generate that market.

You already have a generous aftermarket for the PPQ/Q5, particularly given how little the gun needs.

Their willingness to provide parts has turned around in the past few years. They used to be more like HK: impossible, or “send us the gun.”

I’ve gotten free warranty parts twice from  walther with a simple phone call, and they’ve sold me all of the spares I’ve asked for too.

4 hours ago, Bryamill said:

Are the TTI pads lighter than the TF +6’s that Walther sells? I just ordered the Q5 SF from gunbuyer. Trying to decide on components. I feel like the DPP is the optic I’m going to get. Currently shooting an X5 with a R1. This is my first go with Walther. But from what I can find, it uses standard PPQ magazines and the TTI is a +5 and the TF is +6. Grams gives you an additional +2? 

I’ve never seen a TF pad in person for a  Walther so I couldn’t say. Simple fact is that Glock, Walther, SIG... everything gets 23 rounds max in a 140mm minor magazine length. That’s all the room you have.

I prefer TTI  pads to TF in general just because I do not need to remove screws to take a mag apart and clean it after it’s been dropped in mud or sand. Slide the pin down, and slip the basepad off.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I’ve never seen a TF pad in person for a  Walther so I couldn’t say. Simple fact is that Glock, Walther, SIG... everything gets 23 rounds max in a 140mm minor magazine length. That’s all the room you have.

I prefer TTI  pads to TF in general just because I do not need to remove screws to take a mag apart and clean it after it’s been dropped in mud or sand. Slide the pin down, and slip the basepad off.

Thanks. Appreciate your feedback. 

I got my non pro today. This is my first hands on experience with a PPQ. The trigger is nicer than I expected. The grip panels are removable but mine didn’t come with any other sizes.  I’m not sure if they offer other sizes or not?  With some luck it’ll make it to the range this weekend. 

BEFD6DAE-EA2B-4D77-B781-B58E3829AD2C.jpeg

This makes me regret jumping to open and skipping carry optics. I am a big fan of the ppq line and this one seems perfectly suited for prac tac 3 gun games as well. I need to talk a friend into one so I can shoot it. 

WALTHER

Notes: Added Q5 Match 6/2/2016, updated weight 7/27/16 Added Creed 9mm 2/8/17 Added Q5 Match SF (steel frame) Carry Optics only, without mag well. 1/4/19 .

Creed 9mm 4 inch barrel (26.6 oz.)

P1 (28 oz.)

P38 (34 oz.)

P5 (28 oz.)

P88 (31.5 oz.)

P88 Compact (29 oz.)

P99 (25 oz.)

P99AS (25 oz.)

P99C (20 oz.)

P99DAO (20 oz.)

P99QA (20 oz.)

PPQ .40cal 4.17 barrel (24.87 oz.)

PPQ 9mm 4.01 barrel (24.52 oz.)

PPQ M2 .40 cal barrel 4.1 inch (24.52 oz.)

PPQ M2 9mm 4 inch barrel (24 oz.)

PPQ M2 9mm 5 inch barrel (26 oz.)

Q5 Match 9mm 5 inch barrel (27.5 oz.)

Q5 Match SF (Steel Frame) . Adde (41.6 oz.)

That was fast!

For anyone considering an Apex trigger for the new Walther, I just received this information from Apex Tactical:

"Apex has ordered and is awaiting delivery of a PPQ Q5 Match Steel Frame. Once we have completed the trigger scan in that firearm, we will be able to determine if the trigger kit will function properly in the firearm."

Edited by BritinUSA

Weights that may help.

Read captions and comments. I don’t know what that Vortex dot weighs, but my Deltapoint pro is pretty much the heaviest choice out there, at 1.9oz with the metal guard installed.

So it should make weight comfortably - the vortex has to weigh at least 0.8 to 0.9 oz.

It should even be okay if you want to play in carry optics in IDPA someday; you wouldn’t need heavy +5/6 basepads to get 23 in the gun.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Thanks for posting the weight info.  The Vortex Viper dot is 1.1 ounces per my kitchen scale.  I was curious about the weights of the SF with different combinations of parts as IDPA is my game of choice for now and they are close to the limits.

I just picked up a plastic Q5 Match to see if the Walther's win me over for gaming pistols.  If so, I might give one of the steel guys a go.