Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther new steel frame competition Q5

mikeAZ

Springco kit was a no go for my SF. Experienced the stuck trigger due to trigger safety not disengaging unless I hit it is just right.

I’ll try the apex when they finalize one. Have one on a PPQ 4” and it is really nice and no worry’s about trigger safety.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally got out with mine for the first time last night. Still on the fence on how I feel about it. I was a little disappointed, but to be honest, I think that was more me than the gun. I had quite a few times where I must have shifted my finger slightly, and the trigger safety didn't disengage. I haven't shot much other than my Caniks with Freedomsmith triggers lately, so the Walther trigger wasn't doing it for me. I am anxiously awaiting the Apex trigger for this one. I kept pulling to the left too. I had a hard time getting a hold that felt perfect. The grip feels just a little larger than what I like, and just a smidge shorter than I wish it was.

All that being said. It shot nice and soft and consistent. I picked up a box of 124gr Syntech to try out, and that was super flat (I liked it a lot). Shot a mix through to see how it performed (115gr Fiocchi, 124gr Winchester NATO, 124gr Federal Eagle, 115gr MFS Brass cased, and the Syntech). Recoil was extremely manageable with all. By the end of the trip I was shooting it better. Ultimately, I just need to get some more time behind it, and get used to the feel.

Just confirming - if I was interested in running this for CO, there isn't any point to the Pro model, is there?  You'd be running TF extensions to get 20+ rounds in a mag, and the magwell isn't legal.  Am I missing something?

What comp category is the Pro model useful for?  Certainly not Production or anything in IDPA, though I guess the magwell is IDPA legal.  The Pro extensions seem a bit silly since you're still only putting 10 in the gun.

Edited by NervousEnergy

17 hours ago, PokerNGuns said:

Springco kit was a no go for my SF. Experienced the stuck trigger due to trigger safety not disengaging unless I hit it is just right.

I’ll try the apex when they finalize one. Have one on a PPQ 4” and it is really nice and no worry’s about trigger safety.

I had the same issue in the poly q5 with the spring kit, took it out and it was fine. The trigger safety could be a bit shorter or more rounded to pass the frame if you don't fully depress it. However, you can mod it a little if it bothers you but it still has to be functional. 

Edited by Prov1x

14 hours ago, NervousEnergy said:

Just confirming - if I was interested in running this for CO, there isn't any point to the Pro model, is there?  You'd be running TF extensions to get 20+ rounds in a mag, and the magwell isn't legal.  Am I missing something?

What comp category is the Pro model useful for?  Certainly not Production or anything in IDPA, though I guess the magwell is IDPA legal.  The Pro extensions seem a bit silly since you're still only putting 10 in the gun.

3 Gun Limited and IDPA ESP?

I was specifically looking for a steel frame gun, and had been intrigued by the Q5, so that's why I went with it.

Advantage over the Q5? Only thing I've seen so far is the weight, but some may see that as a drawback. I think if I already had a Q5, I probably would have gone another route for a steel frame gun.

23 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

My question is, what do you gain going q5 sf over the q5 match polymer? I mean its crazy to think its over double the cost

There is a major difference in the weight, and where that weight is.  Especially if you are comparing the Pro model over the poly Q5 for something like 3 gun.  I had a brass magwell on my M&P 5" and it made a lot of difference in the balance and recoil compared to it without it. 

What PF everyone running with their SF? I’m up to 140pf, but Discovered any slack in grip with this factory set up it will stovepipe ..learned this after coming into a position this weekend on a close target with a bad grip and confirmed in practice..99% wouldn’t be a problem but until some aftermarket options start coming in I guess I’ll crank up to 145pf 

What PF everyone running with their SF? I’m up to 140pf, but Discovered any slack in grip with this factory set up it will stovepipe ..learned this after coming into a position this weekend on a close target with a bad grip and confirmed in practice..99% wouldn’t be a problem but until some aftermarket options start coming in I guess I’ll crank up to 145pf 

On 1/20/2019 at 6:10 AM, toddm said:

For the experienced gamers where the cost of the gun is insignificant compared to ammo and travel etc. probably.   I'd be willing to be a lot of new shooters who can get a Q5 Match + entire setup, range bag and couple thousand rounds of ammo to shoot for less than the cost of the Q5 Match SF may still chose to go that way starting out to keep the initial investment low.  It would be interesting to see if any shooters prefer a lighter weight handguns in competition.  It doesn't seem that way, I suppose unlike the long guns the time lost in transition is more than made up for in follow up shot time, and the overall weight is still quite low. 

I suspect the Q5 Match will still outsell the Q5 SF at a significant ratio overall.   It's no different than how many Glocks sell compared to Zev's or STI's to SVI's.   Anytime you more than double the price of your product, you are going to lose volume.  I know a lot of guys that own a Q5 Match just as a range gun, most of them will not spend 2.3 times the price for the same gun with a steel frame.   For them at the end of the day the small amount of performance increase is not going to be worth the price jump from $700 to $1600. 

Glocks are thier own animal imo... they’re quickly becoming man purses with accessorizing them, painting them up, Et al.. when you have people buying a taran tactical range master type firearm at 2400 ish instead of a much more accurate and lighter trigger sti it kinda confirms my theory.. not to say decked out glocks aren’t good guns.. but to say good guns can be had from a box and often cheaper with less time involved but not “personalized”.. 

that whole “pimp my pew pew” trend reminds me of choppers from the beginning of the 2000s... everyone wants one, will spend s#!t tons of money for it, rideit twice and find it doesn’t turn corners then sell it at a 1/4 of investment price.

just me but there’s no debate between a fine 2011 and a glock base firearm...

12 hours ago, PokerNGuns said:

I haven't shot it in a match yet, but put a couple of hundred rounds of 135ish PF through it last week with no issues. And dropped a grain and put another 50 through it of 130 PF this week. Again, no issues. Not sure what would happen with a less than ideal grip, but no signs of issues so far. 

Just purchased the new Q5SF,also have the Q5 poly, XDM osp,and CZ Shawdow 2 Finally a striker fire steel frame gun. This gun shoots just as good as the CZ Shawdow 2 (maybe better)and its not a DA/SA!!!. Got a Leupold DPP 2.5 optic(best for competition use)also have trijicon RMR, and Vortex Venom, 2.5 moa dot never leaves viewing window under recoil. Even when my wife shoots it ,she can control it much better than any other 9mm she has shot. (which means I got to buy another one). I have been able to use all of my existing accessories from the Q5poly, my Boss holster(heat up bottom of holster where extended rail dust cover is, push gun in, let cool,perfect fit),Sprinco trigger spring kit works, Sprinco recoil management system works( make hole in end of guide rod bigger(1/8) for tab on break down lever to fit in). Have shot 9 different kinds of ammo, 115gr,124gr,147gr and 150gr all worked flawlessly. Best group at 25yds was Atlanta Arms JHP, 3 shots all in a 1/2 in a circle, best competition load Federal Syntec 150 ,1 5/8in circle. This was shot from a gun vise to remove human area. Have read about people having trigger safety hanging up (which is not having middle of finger pad on trigger)but to help with this just put a rubber band around trigger to hold safety latch against trigger over night for a week(removes some of spring tension). Also if it stove pipes its most likely poor gun control.If you loose site of dot when shooting you are not holding your support hand tight enough. If any other questions I might be able to answer, i will try,going to shot again today. Have shot this gun 8 days in the last 2 weeks and it still amazes me!!!

On 2/5/2019 at 4:24 PM, threat said:

Has anyone shot the Q5 Match next to the Q5 SF that can give us an idea of how the recoil impulses compare? I have a sneaking suspecion that polymer guns absorb recoil pretty well and wanted to compare that to the steel gun.

(Note: I'm aware people that are sponsored by Walther say the SF gun is "so much flatter and faster", however I wan't an unbiased subjective option" 

I have the Q5poly ,XDM osp and had a glock 34 mos , it shoots way flatter and easier than any poly frame gun, you will be impressed. Been shooting the Q5poly for a year now(10 to 15 thousand rds ) It only took me about 400 rds thru the Q5SF before I was shooting closer double taps and consistent .15 to .17 splits and 30 yd alph's. Even someone that doesn't have good grip pressure can get better control on the Q5SF. My wife out shoots alot of the men that shoot poly guns with the Q5SF. couldn't do that before when she shot the XDMosp.

KIMG0913.jpg