Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther new steel frame competition Q5

mikeAZ

7 hours ago, Sawdustnsteel said:

Sadly I can’t find any at even MSRP much less lower... only two on gunbroker and both very overpriced.. if anyone has leads I’d appreciate it

Told that in april there will be another shipment from over seas, If you want one now you are gonna have to pay to play. But also most of the ones arriving have already been spoken for or have been prepaid. Don't think that they will be easy to find the whole year. If you ever shoot one, you will hate you waited! Best striker fire gun on the planet as of n ow.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, UPSMAN said:

Told that in april there will be another shipment from over seas, If you want one now you are gonna have to pay to play. But also most of the ones arriving have already been spoken for or have been prepaid. Don't think that they will be easy to find the whole year. If you ever shoot one, you will hate you waited! Best striker fire gun on the planet as of n ow.

Also moving March April time states away. Makes complication not knowing where I’ll be when they land on us soil.

On 2/16/2019 at 10:08 PM, mrvip27 said:

About what size equivalent backstrap on the q5 poly matches the SF?

I would say it is in between the medium and the large, it's pretty thick. I sanded mine down flat on both sides, flattened out the backstrap a little and then stippled the grip. I don't even have to use pro grip now and it feels just slightly bigger than the small backstrap on the poly Q5. 

Edited by Prov1x

43 minutes ago, Prov1x said:

I would say it is in between the medium and the large, it's pretty thick. I sanded mine down flat on both sides, flattened out the backstrap a little and then stippled the grip. I don't even have to use pro grip now and it feels just slightly bigger than the small backstrap on the poly Q5. 

Can you post a picture of your grip now? 

Shot the Q5 poly and Q5 Steel frame next to each other today. Poly gun has a quicker departure off Target or more "hop" with significantlty less muzzle dip. Steel gun recoils up slower but has lots of muzzle wobble and dip. Steel frame gun needs aftermarket recoil spring options bad.

Steel frame fits hand better due to new shape, removal of finger grooves and grip panels. If I can get the steel gun to not bounce around up front so much I'll be quite happy.

PSX_20190218_153736.jpg

A lot of your ergonomic opinions are highly variable; I absolutely love the finger grooves on Walthers. Especially the PPS.  Walther, unlike Glock, actually put them in the right spots!

I have no doubt that the recoil spring assemblies need some tuning, however.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Sides sanded down flat, then sanded and removed a little of the hump on the back and stippled the whole grip. Makes the grip feel similar to the small panel of the poly q5. 

I probably could have went further on the sanding part to get them a little thinner but I didn't want to go too far as replacement grips aren't available yet. Next step I may take is to sand down a thumb groove to the mag release. 

20190218_192029.jpg

20190218_192118.jpg

Edited by Prov1x

6 hours ago, threat said:

Shot the Q5 poly and Q5 Steel frame next to each other today. Poly gun has a quicker departure off Target or more "hop" with significantlty less muzzle dip. Steel gun recoils up slower but has lots of muzzle wobble and dip. Steel frame gun needs aftermarket recoil spring options bad.

Steel frame fits hand better due to new shape, removal of finger grooves and grip panels. If I can get the steel gun to not bounce around up front so much I'll be quite happy.

PSX_20190218_153736.jpg

So would you say the SF is worth getting over the Q5 poly? at least if its sprung correctly? Is it less "snappy"? trying to decide if I should upgrade or not from my q5 poly

Edited by mrvip27

16 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

So would you say the SF is worth getting over the Q5 poly? at least if its sprung correctly? Is it less "snappy"? trying to decide if I should upgrade or not from my q5 poly

It is way better than the Q5poly, i have both , everyone shoots both and says the Poly version is "S**T" compared to the Q5SF. My wife shot the Q5SF for only 200 rds and improved tremendously with 11 more alpha's on a course with a possibility of 16 alpha's and knocked 9 seconds off her time . She raved about how much easier it was to keep the dot on target and never lost sight of the dot in the field of view. With a 1000  or so rds more of practice she will be able to move from a Class B to a Class A shooter. Also I put the DPM recoil reduction system in ,perfect now on snap and dip.

22 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

A lot of your ergonomic opinions are highly variable; I absolutely love the finger grooves on Walthers. Especially the PPS.  Walther, unlike Glock, actually put them in the right spots!

I have no doubt that the recoil spring assemblies need some tuning, however.

This is the polarizing thing about "ergonomic guns". They either work for people, or they absolutely get in the way. Glocks have always worked well for me and I never understood why people complained about the groves and such....then I held a PPQ and I absolutely hated everything about the grip. I immediately took a dremel to it and ground down all the fancy "ergonomic features ". I removed the palm swell, finger groves, undercut, softened the corners of the tang..everything. Now the gun is more shootable for me

I think guns that lack finger grooves have a better chance of working for more people and not rubbing someone the wrong way. However when they work out for you they can feel nice. For example when I hold a Glock 17 or a P30 I'm like "frick this feels good"

The walther steel gun fits my hand much better. I should have bought that one off the get.

Edited by threat

18 hours ago, Prov1x said:

Sides sanded down flat, then sanded and removed a little of the hump on the back and stippled the whole grip. Makes the grip feel similar to the small panel of the poly q5. 

I probably could have went further on the sanding part to get them a little thinner but I didn't want to go too far as replacement grips aren't available yet. Next step I may take is to sand down a thumb groove to the mag release

20190218_192029.jpg

20190218_192118.jpg

Clean work. The replaceable panel on the Steel frame leaves more options for unique hand configurations. I will design some grips for it probably. 

17 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

If you like your Poly gun and shoot it well they is no objective reason to spend over double the price to the steel gun. You can add weight in the form of guide rods to make the poly gun hop a little less. The steel gun doesn't shoot any better per se, it's just different. It comes down to whether or not you place more priority to a neutral shooting gun that hops a bit more (poly) or a heavy wobbly gun that hops up a bit less (steel)

The Steel frame gun and Poly gun shoot more similar than different to each other. That being said, the steel frame and removable grip fit my hand so much better than the Poly gun that I will have to buy the steel frame gun. The steel frame gun also has more clearance around the top of the trigger guard which is crucial to me.