Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther new steel frame competition Q5

mikeAZ

2 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

I use a 5" wilson-combat 1911 flat-wire spring in the polymer Q5. I don't know the diameter of the SF rod, so I don't know if it will fit it. A Glock spring might also work.

Has anyone measured the diameter of the SF guide rod ?

The OD of the Q5 SF guide rod is .283. The ID of a Wilson flat wire spring is .260 made to fit on a .250 OD rod.

So still looking for a combo that will allow installation of a 13/15 lb spring.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, TxD said:

The OD of the Q5 SF guide rod is .283. The ID of a Wilson flat wire spring is .260 made to fit on a .250 OD rod.

So still looking for a combo that will allow installation of a 13/15 lb spring.

I has a machinist turn me a guide rod in stainless that fits the walther, but with 1/4” shaft. Drop a 13lb Glock spring onto it and go.

3 hours ago, TxD said:

For the record those are also the dimensions of a standard PPQ and Q5’s guide rod. I’m not sure how our friend is saying he took the factory rod apart and put a Glock spring on it, because M&P and Glock flat wire springs also fit a 1/4” guide rod.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

3 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Do you have this in a Q5 Match  or a Q5 SF?

I have a similar rod from ZR Tactical. With any flatwire spring it will not allow the take down lever on the SF to fully close.

6 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I see. My mistake. Too many guys talking about both models of Walther in this thread. I do not own a steel frame and I do not plan to purchase one. Where does the interference occurs? How is the polymer guide rod shaped differently to clear it?

The .283 OD captured ss guide rod is standard in the SF.

An uncaptured guide rod as you describe will not allow the take down lever to fully rotate. 

This is a difference in the two models.  

Is the issue with the Steel Frame cause by a captured guide rod or un-captured?

my stainless steel guide rod in my polymer Q5 appears to be the same size as the factory polymer guide rod. 

From the instructions the slide has to be pulled back a little to rotate the take down lever so maybe the issue is with an in-captured rod moving in a way that prevents the lever from rotating. 

I’m wondering if the captured stainless guide rod would actually work,

11 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

There has to be a plan. They know everyone is going to want to change the recoil spring who shoots it in competition.

I talked to Walther, there is a plan.   They know we want to shoot reduced power loads, but you would think they could have a source for springs!.  One problem they have, they are using Newton scale.  

8 minutes ago, lcs said:

I talked to Walther, there is a plan.   They know we want to shoot reduced power loads, but you would think they could have a source for springs!.  One problem they have, they are using Newton scale.  

And, at least two years ago, their information from the German engineers was off. The spring rate given to me in Newtons by a high-placed friend who worked there? It converted to 11 pounds.

Um. No.

I tested the factory spring and it matched the compression rate of 16-17 pound springs for  Glock and others.

Hopefully they updated that.

A 13 pound spring runs really well in a PPQ/Q5. It’ll feel like it comes out of battery too easily due to the full powered striker spring, but I’ve run 13 pound Glock springs on my custom rod flawlessly. Just change them every 5k or so, and you have no issues.

14 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

And, at least two years ago, their information from the German engineers was off. The spring rate given to me in Newtons by a high-placed friend who worked there? It converted to 11 pounds.

Um. No.

I tested the factory spring and it matched the compression rate of 16-17 pound springs for  Glock and others.

Hopefully they updated that.

A 13 pound spring runs really well in a PPQ/Q5. It’ll feel like it comes out of battery too easily due to the full powered striker spring, but I’ve run 13 pound Glock springs on my custom rod flawlessly. Just change them every 5k or so, and you have no issues.

I did the math also.  It does equate to 11 lb.   I am pretty sure the recoil spring is not  11 lbs.  At least not any 11 lb I've tried.  They are sending me a 48N.  We'll see how that goes.

Yep. 

I tested it. A crude welded-up fixture that placed a fixed weight atop whichever spring you inserted.

It compressed far less than a brand new 11lb  ISMI Glock spring. Less than a 13, or a 15. It was a nearly perfect match for a 17lb factory  Glock spring.

I sent the data to my contact who forwarded it to the engineers... where it apprently went nowhere.

So, today I had to pick up my SP01 (...) and gun store appeared to be a big Walther dealer also. The SF model is expected within 2 Months from now (and we are neighbors to Germany..). Got my hands on a Poly Q5 and grip is nice. Trigger seems to be 5 lb+ range but actually felt really nice! If trigger pull can be reduced further by springs as sales man told me it will be great!! Liked it. I will get an invitation to test shoot it once they are in. Might change my whole idea about the ' ideal production gun' .

In the meantime, bring in the range reports 🙂

On 1/10/2019 at 9:28 AM, S&W686 said:

I have a Comp Tac Holster that I had for the non steel Q5.  My Walther PPQ Q5 Steel Frame will be at my FFL either Friday or Saturday.  I am not sure if it will fit the Steel Frame Q5 but will try it and let you know.  In the meantime I did place my order with RHT last night.

I received my new Walther PPQ Q5 Match Steel Frame today and I can tell you that it does not fit the polymer PPQ Q5 holster.   I have my order in with Red Hill Tactical for the steel frame holster.  Anyone need the polymer holster?

Edited by S&W686

550 rounds down range with my new SF today. Very smooth shooter. Really like not only the added weight but the grip re design... I’ve been shooting the PPQ 4” mostly for 2 years so coming into this is a whole new ball game. 

Id recommend if you are on the fence get one. Now is the time if by some chance it wasn’t right for you you’ll be able to off load while demand is high. Though you might as well just make space for it in your safe 😂