Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting a match with your EDC rig

j1b

So I've been kicking this around for some time now and I think I'm at the point where I'm going to do it.

I carry. I carry everyday. I carry everywhere I am legally allowed to carry. I shoot my carry gun ... occasionally. Actually, I get some rounds through it somewhat frequently. Just last weekend I shot my new carry gun to insure it's all dialed in. I was shooting it out to 20 yards and was doing ok. Reality is I was shooting about 7 inch groups or so with the new carry gun at 20 yards. Probably 5 inches consistent with the flyer or two that would grow it to 7 or 8 inches. 

Anyhow, it just got me to thinking, I should shoot a match with my EDC rig. Now, I carry appendix and that won't fly but everything else should work. I could do my IWB holster (4:00 position) and IWB mag pouch and just have the second mag in my pocket JIC.

I wouldn't do this consistently - I like the competition side of things too much - but I think occasionally running the EDC rig better covers me for if I every do need to use it. 

Just wondering if anyone has shot a few matches with their true EDC rig and what the experiences were like. I'm shooting my new Sig P365 and the ten round capacity is actually pretty beneficial for this situation alone.

Thanks in advance!

Jack 

yep everyone should run their actual carry (and HD) rig here and there to make sure everything (shooter, gun & gear) works as planned.  the problem is, between using a smaller carry gun, and/or running iwb, and/or running a heavier caliber, you generally won't be as competitive in the standings.  i've shot glock 31, 32 and 33 (bedside and carry guns) occasionally in idpa.

Actually you can run your IWB appendix rig in USPSA as long as you declare that you are Open, Limited or L10 Division because holster position is not restricted. You can also run concealed, because there is no rule against it, or advantage to it. And you can even use pretend cover and engage sequentially and tactically and use IDPA reloads because there is no rule against it or advantage to it.....

19 hours ago, j1b said:

So I've been kicking this around for some time now and I think I'm at the point where I'm going to do it.

I carry. I carry everyday. I carry everywhere I am legally allowed to carry. I shoot my carry gun ... occasionally. Actually, I get some rounds through it somewhat frequently. Just last weekend I shot my new carry gun to insure it's all dialed in. I was shooting it out to 20 yards and was doing ok. Reality is I was shooting about 7 inch groups or so with the new carry gun at 20 yards. Probably 5 inches consistent with the flyer or two that would grow it to 7 or 8 inches. 

Anyhow, it just got me to thinking, I should shoot a match with my EDC rig. Now, I carry appendix and that won't fly but everything else should work. I could do my IWB holster (4:00 position) and IWB mag pouch and just have the second mag in my pocket JIC.

I wouldn't do this consistently - I like the competition side of things too much - but I think occasionally running the EDC rig better covers me for if I every do need to use it. 

Just wondering if anyone has shot a few matches with their true EDC rig and what the experiences were like. I'm shooting my new Sig P365 and the ten round capacity is actually pretty beneficial for this situation alone.

Thanks in advance!

Jack 

Why not do it? Why not run the gear you plan on defending your life with... as opposed to competition-rigged guns that you wouldn't EDC? It's a lot better practice on all facets of EDC than just sending a few round leisurely down range. A few years back I shot the Federal Air Marshall qualifier course with my EDC, and my normal dress. I cleaned it! I then felt a lot more confident with that EDC set up.

Why not do it?

53 minutes ago, GOF said:

Why not do it? Why not run the gear you plan on defending your life with... as opposed to competition-rigged guns that you wouldn't EDC? It's a lot better practice on all facets of EDC than just sending a few round leisurely down range. A few years back I shot the Federal Air Marshall qualifier course with my EDC, and my normal dress. I cleaned it! I then felt a lot more confident with that EDC set up.

Why not do it?

Maybe just for an occasional fun practice. But most of the stages we shoot are not good practice from a self defense viewpoint. Will you be carrying 5-6 mags EDC? Will you really wade into 15 or 20 guys who are shooting back at you? Will you really shoot 3-4 guys in the head twice while they are holding hostages at gunpoint?

Yep, you all get it. The goal it is to experience the EDC gun under some pressure and shoot it in unique ways that I wouldn't normally do on a flat range.

While I value the experience that competitions gives me in potentially helping me should (God forbid) a situation ever come up it is clear that matches are for fun. They aren't training. I never perceive them as anything more than a different way to shoot the gun.

I'll be honest though... If by a wild stroke of luck I do happen to win ... I mean ... that'd be cool!

Jack

Look up Gabe White, who has achieved GM status in USPSA shooting from AIWB with his carry gear. Also the only recipient of a FAST coin shooting from concealment. That guy is amazing, and a very talented writer. He has some excellent articles on vision as it pertains to shooting, really innovative stuff that I never would have thought of prior to reading it.

Several of us did our re-shoots with BUG guns at a small local match recently. This is a small match with 10 to 20 shooters total. It isn't IDPA, so we can do whatever we want. :)

A few had sort of planned ahead, but a couple of guys only had .380's with 1 spare mag. They scrounged around and had a box and a half of ammo between them. We decided to score 1 hit per target instead of 2, reloads from the pocket. Load 6 rounds only in mags. We started from low ready rather than have people drawing from pockets. We had a couple of 380's, a couple of G-26's, a J-Frame and a couple sharing a G-43. Learning occurred. We will probably do it often in the future.

Back to your original question, I see quite a few people shooting their every day carry in IDPA. One guy shoots a Glock 27 from under his T-shirt and does very well.

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot a springifield EMP, normal shirt covering the gun just like I use when I carry every day.  I do very well at local matches.  I either win or 2nd in division and usually top 10 or better out of 50-80 shooters overall.  While I realize I’m handicapping myself a bit with the gun, cover garment etc. I also realize that IDPA just like other shooting sports are a game but I also see it as good practice.  Several draws, reloads, targets under pressure that I can’t do in any local ranges.  To me, allows me to practice some skills I can’t in other places with a bit of pressure added.  

I’m not doing it to become a championship IDPA shooter, just to get better at shooting, have fun etc.  In my mind, that is the best reason for IDPA.

1 hour ago, Agent #1911 said:

I mostly shoot USPSA but occasionally shoot IDPA with my carry gun/IWB holster under a t-shirt. Competition gun and stiff vest in IDPA is not my thing. 

Agreed, plus due to the scoring I tried to see if my mind set could be effectively modified under pressure.

By that I mean in USPSA I can push the envelope, in a self defense issue I would not want a shot to go off target.  

Figuring the "criminal" forced the issue, an innocent struck would be virtually as devastating as anything short of death.

On 5/14/2018 at 11:56 AM, ClangClang said:

Look up Gabe White, who has achieved GM status in USPSA shooting from AIWB with his carry gear. Also the only recipient of a FAST coin shooting from concealment. That guy is amazing, and a very talented writer. He has some excellent articles on vision as it pertains to shooting, really innovative stuff that I never would have thought of prior to reading it.

Also he shot a perfect score at the Roger's school, and won the Oregon section championship from concealment,he is a really good shooter! One of the clubs I shoot at holds an outlaw match once a year that is shot with your EDC gear, it is my favorite match of the year. USPSA style, points plus score like three gun and broken up by gun size, full, mid, compact, and sub compact, all shot from how you carry, super fun and a great test of you carry rig.

I would 110% shoot a couple matches with your EDC. What could it possibly hurt not too?

My club even has an outlaw EDC and a back up gun match every year that I shoot my G43 in. Honestly it gave me a ton more confidence with that little gun that I could really shoot it under pressure and with accuracy. 

• 1 month later...

I've been thinking about doing that and you guys have confirmed it.  Great videos in this thread, thank you for posting them. I have some work to do to catch up to your skill level...  In reality, I have fun and compete with myself - I want to eliminate errors and shoot better than I did last time. 

Most of the guys on my normal squad are running their EDC for our weekly match.

Not a big deal and a few guys have discovered that what they "used" to carry was not that good!

AD

• 1 month later...

Huh. I always shoot with my "regular" concealment holster . . . . 

Considering the intent of IDPA, shooting with the gun you actually carry shouldn't be a new concept 

(I've been shooting IPSC/USPSA since 1978 and I've most often used whatever was my duty gun at that time, and a concealment holster. But, people are shooting matches for their own reasons. My interest is entirely defensive, but many people focus more on the competitive aspects)

• 5 months later...

I'm going to agree with 9X45.  Shoot one or two USPSA matches in Limited with your carry gun and carry holster.  Limited achieves two things: lets you carry appendix and reduces the number of magazines you need.

So what if the stages are not something that you would do for real?  Neither are IDPA stages.  USPSA will be a much harder pressure test of your gear.  And like 9X45 also said, you can tacticool the USPSA stages however you like, instead of how some stage designer thinks is "tactical"

• 3 weeks later...

I meant to start doing this.  Sold some kit and got my "slightly bigger carry" gear squared away...then my local club shut down.  It would be great practice.  I run a lot of drills at home with my CCW gear just to train but a match would help more than some canned drills.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with you on this one as it makes total sense to simply log in the time and practice of shooting, reloading and moving with the rig you'd use in EDC.  Of course it's easy for me to say as I'm not competitive in the IDPA or USPSA matches or do it all the time to rise through the ranks.  As others have said, if you're not attached to the monthly score for an annual position result figure it can only help.  I definitely plan to do so.

On 5/13/2018 at 4:55 PM, j1b said:

I should shoot a match with my EDC rig.

I carry appendix and that won't fly but everything else should work. o use it.  

It does if you switch sports.

I shot my Walther PPS (7+1) from appendix, concealed, in USPSA Limited division. As a racegun division, you have no holster or mag position restrictions. I shot the gun to slidelock a lot, and speedloaded when I could.

It was a blast! And yeah, I had 4 mags on my hip in order to make it through 32rd stages. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic