Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting a match with your EDC rig

j1b

I shot a local match with my j frame and pistolwear neoprene holster band and speed strips. Wore t shirt and workout shorts, my summer attire. Found out I needed to trim the tops of my grips to get the shells out faster. Other than that it was fun to stretch the legs on the little gun. Need to switch the powder cause tightgroup got that little gun hot.

13 hours ago, Joedirt199 said:

I shot a local match with my j frame and pistolwear neoprene holster band and speed strips. Wore t shirt and workout shorts, my summer attire. Found out I needed to trim the tops of my grips to get the shells out faster. Other than that it was fun to stretch the legs on the little gun. Need to switch the powder cause tightgroup got that little gun hot.

Best for me was early in my EDC selection process.  At a USPSA match shot my 627 with IWB holster and 125 GD's at 1450 f/s, the RO wasn't expecting it I did warn him though he just didn't pay attention.  He almost stopped me as he thought my gun blew up!  Helped me decide on some gear and reinforce that full power ammo wasn't an issue.

I like shooting my 325 TR from IWB with appropriate loads (since I'm a competitive type in IDPA I usually use 155 pf loads and only the occassional 190 pf types) in IDPA.

• 5 months later...

I shoot a lot of my IDPA club matches with my carry rig and carry gun. The 2 main exceptions are that I almost always substitute a 2 mag pouch (typically belt pouch vs. IWB for carry), and I remove my weaponlight.

Occassionally I will keep the light installed and shoot NFC.

Considering that I carry and shoot most Tier 1 matches with a G29 in CCP, with reloads to SigAmmo carry spec (to match my carry ammo) no one is worried about me winning!

Every round you fire in an IDPA match with your normal EDC gun... and normal EDC carry mode... will pay big dividends if you ever have to use that gear for real. The "Real World" isn't quite like drawing a tricked-out match gun from beneath a crafted competition vest. If you do shoot your EDC gear, and worry about "being competitive"... your priorities are stuck in the wrong place.

IDPA isn't perfect SD practice, but it beats the heck out of standing on a square range.

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/14/2018 at 2:13 AM, ChuckS said:

I ran a shooter at the 2017 area1 match who shot concealed junk carry in L10. His draw and reload were pretty good.

I’ve seen guys do that also. I thought it was actually pretty respectable. His draw/reloads were pretty sweet.