Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What got you into Open?

Thaunk

Shot a buddy’s open gun a few weeks ago and it’s had me thinking since.   Currently shooting limited and PCC. Loving both but it almost always fun to lose in a new division.  For those of you who swapped into open what was the deciding factor?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it was my vision, or lack there of. I flip flopped between going open vs carry optics, and decided to bite the bullet on an open gun. Wish I would have done it way earlier. Watching the dot move gives me instant real time feed back on my grip and stance, and calling shots is way easier. When info back to irons for 3 gun, I’m also shooting faster and more accurately, and that’s with fuzzy sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it allows for the highest possible expression of speed and accuracy and pushing the boundaries of human performance is what interests me. The nature of the equipment means also that mistakes are far more costly in open than in any other division. Razor thin margins at peak speed and accuracy is the epitome of racing to me.

Cause they look cool.....

Not even joking either haha. I shot a lot of local falling steel and uspsa type matches with my carry gun which was a Glock with an RMR.  Nothing super competitive, just going out to shoot and have fun. 

About two years ago I decided I wanted an open gun cause I liked the looks and thought it'd be fun. 

Very shortly after I got hooked on USPSA and now I'm working towards Master, have taken a couple classes with Max Michele, and just built my own open gun from parts(doing all the fitting myself).  Talk about diving in head first hahaha. 

20180315_214449-1512x2016.jpg

Edited by Honkeymcgee

I wanted all the advantage money could buy! :roflol:

Seriously though, if you want to quantify the advantage, I'm a solid B class Open shooter and every month I'm neck and neck with a local Production GM for high overall.  Between major scoring, the dot, the comp and the big stick, it all adds up.

I was close to 65 years old (-_-)

having trouble seeing the front sight

and the target clearly (lots of trouble),

saw an STI for the first time (:wub:) and NEEDED one,

tired of scoring at the bottom of the sheet after a match and

wanted to learn how to shoot quickly and finish in the top ten ....

If I shot 7th out of 10 OPEN shooters, I was a hero, and near

the top of the leader board.   :bow:

The 9mm Major bit scared me, at first, but I overcame that fear,

in large part by reading the pioneering efforts reported here

on BE.    ;)

Learning to shoot OPEN at a faster pace than I've ever shot before,

also speeded me up for Limited, which was a nice bonus that I

never expected.

AND, I loved to beat Glock shooters who were MUCH better

shooters than I'll ever be.    :bow:

PLUS, when you walk out there in the morning, everyone sees

a gunslinger, walking the walk, instead of a fat, bald grandfather

with thick eyeglasses and slow reaction times.    :bow:

But, the big disadvantage was .....   um,   I forgot ??   Was there

a disadvantage  ???

Having to choose which front sight could be the real one when looking down the barrel. 9mm Major makes it so you don't need to worry about reloading components and cost so much. The tinker factor is high also. I can modify all kinds of things and swap parts over the winter and in the spring it still works and my scores somehow stay the same.

When i started shooting USPSA there were only 2 divisions Limited and Open.

Open was where all the fast people shot. So probably some of what Jake talked about above.

After a while I went back to Limited (and some single stack when that became a division.) But at some point when i couldn't see the front sight anymore at speed i went to the dark side pretty much full time.

My son got me into open. He was of the opinion that I would benefit from the dot so I built an Open gun. My vision still allows me to see the front sight on my Limited guns and as such Limited it is.  When I start losing the ability to see the front sight then my Open gun it is 

I started shooting Open because the local hot dog shot open. Same guy always one the match, so I switched to see if I could beat him. The next year he didn't show up and I won every match. But I was only winning because there were no good open shooters I switched to another division. After switching that time better open shooters started showing up.

So now I just shoot the gun I want to shoot and don't worry about where the heat is. Right now, that is my Single stack gun.

Seems like I'm in good company then.  My eye sight hasn't gone yet, but it will.  I do love gadgets and the guns do look awesome.  With the Atlanta Arms making 9mm major now that hurdle is taken care of.  I'm not expecting to win any matches.  I'm a C class shooter in Limited and I run like Hans from the Simpsons.  It just looks like fun.  Going to shoot the same buddy's open gun in a rifle/pistol match this weekend and see how I do.  Won't be the same as USPSA but it should be pretty close.  If I do like it, then it's time to get an open shotgun.

Was in limited for a year before the switch. Got a deal on a custom open that was basically new with only being test fired. It's as fast as you can go in this sport and for me, it's the funnest division .