Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

All competition shooters, front cocking serrations: Yes or NO?

EngineerEli

So after searching back to 2010 I have been unable to find a pole being done of this. I still can't understand why some modern guns marketed towards competition come with only rear cocking serrations. Front cocking serrations are so useful for racking the slide on a reload, or chamber checking before the start of a stage, for me at least!

Please vote and let us know if you prefer to have them or not. Please also post here explaining why. I posted this in the 1911/2011 forum, but this question honestly goes for any platform (except revo). I am also interested to hear if there is any difference between people shooting different classes like limited or production. I shoot limited and production, and front cocking serrations are a requirement for all of my competition guns.

Thanks!

Edited by EngineerEli

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello: Since 95% of factory pistols are not used for competition they listen to their main customers who prefer no front cocking serrations. Look at factory Springfield 1911's and Colts as a guide. I like them for competition pistols but could take them or leave them for carry pistols. As a note I end up cocking the pistol from the rear most of the time, old habits and all that. Thanks, Eric

All but my 9 major gun have them but I don't use them. I do not like getting my hand near the muzzle/comp on the clock and I never want my forearm over the ejection port. The 9 has a racker.

Eh, too close to the muzzle for me to feel comfortable using. Hell, on one of my guns I don't even have rear serrations. Aesthetically, I prefer the look of carry cuts so that eliminates the FCS.

fd8910d2-fd26-4b73-a793-baa38c67400a.jpg

7174fac2-9241-4a1d-ab6a-5e5b549ddf0d.jpg

5777286a-c4a2-4e6a-a7e6-8c25393ad81d.jpg

I thought front serrations were a cool idea at first, and they look cool. But I'm with the crowd of not wanting to put my hand too close to the muzzle. Looks are important to me though so I think I'll vote for them. Better to have and not need??

Some CZs have cocking serrations about 1/3 the way back from the muzzle which seems ideal.

Edited by StraightSh00ter

I used the front serrations for years with no problems. If it weren't for my old eyes forcing me into open, it would still be my our preferred method for manipulating a slide.

Now if I decide to pursue Carry Optics, front serrations will be a requirement.

And for me, it's much faster than a slide racker.

A must for me on a metallic sight competition gun. If you watch me on a Bianchi stage it's press-check, reload, press-check, shoot, press-check, reload, etc. I'm the king of anal-retentiveness for having a round in the chamber, especially with Bianchi where everything is fast-slow-fast-slow repeatedly.