Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

All competition shooters, front cocking serrations: Yes or NO?

EngineerEli

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea I partly forgot about slide rackers, when you have them the front cocking serrations become less critical functionally. That effects Limited (10) and Open guns, for those that use them. Some people do no, or do not want to pay the money to have them added to their limited guns. In that case buying a limited gun with front cocking serrations is usually the best bet.

Location of the front cocking serrations is definitly a worth considering. I feel like most 1911/2011's have them in a decent place. I have a stock II for production, and those cocking serrations are pretty close to the end. As someone pointed out it is not a bad thing to have them farther back like on the CZ TS or SP-01.

cz-usa-cz-75-tactical-sport.png

cz-usa-cz-75-sp01-shadow-target.png

Thumb rests also require consideration depending on the height of the rest, it could get in the way of the front serrations. I do feel like a lot of people that to to the extent of adding a thumb rest tend to add a slide racker too, so it would render the front cocking serrations less critical. Something like the Nitro Fin style doesn't get in the way (below) but the Go Gun or Double Alpha style thumb rests sit higher and would probubly be more of a problem.

1407294510727194787412.jpeg

I would love to see more factory limited and open guns coming with the dove tail cut in the slide in front of the rear sight for a ball detent slide racker, even if they sell it with just a little spacer installed to fill the space.

Presonally I would like to see the front serrations just in front of the ejection port, this is the most natual place for me to hold when cocking the gun (with my cocking hand thumb forward and pistol grip horizonthal to the ground). Why doesn't any maker put the serrations here? Do you weaken the slide to much if you put them here? If so. How far back is it safe to put them?

on a 1911 that is.

Edited by sn0wflake

+1

I even add grip tape to help with racking.

Much faster than racking from the rear.

20151230_230554_zpsz4afh4mx.jpg

That position looks pretty optimal to me at least. Thats where they belong.

Agree with this... love front cocking serrations but this seems like a more practical spot.

I have been ROing for a long time. Actually since before front serrations became popular. In the heat of the moment, when Adrenalin is flowing, and the shooter has a jam, many times I have seen him reach for the front serrations to clear the gun. Many times I see him actually reach beyond the muzzle. then back to grab them. I have actually seen a well known shooter demoing at a NRA show do the same thing while explaining how to clear a jam.

Using front serrations is a bad habit to get into. I have yet heard of anybody shooting a hole in their hand. I hope I never do.

Ray

I fall into the crowd asking the musical question, "If you're not sure if your gun is loaded, do you REALLY want your hand anywhere near the muzzle?" I know of plenty who do rack the slide from the front, but the risk of losing an irreplaceable appendage seems unnecessary to me. Even getting your hand near the chamber/ejection port can lead to irreversible nerve damage from a round impacting the ejector. Even using this method from under the gun could expose the finger tips.

I suppose they could serve as a form of slide lightening, but holes/ports/flat topping/tri-topping and/or high power cuts would be more effective for that purpose.

Ok so you made me pay more attention. So I load and make ready from the front. I once loaded but a round didn't chamber, my RO caught it and I didn't, adrenaline and everything, ever since though I always do a chamber check even though I watch the round feed. Just a habit I wanted. So I cock from the front then pull back enough to see brass.

That said I was thinking about where the serrations would be best and while looking for something else found this and really like the look too

https://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361212

post-54014-0-46903600-1463539066_thumb.j

Can't figure out the gunsmiths contact info though.

Red

Edited by DagoRed

I chamber a round using the rear serrations and do an overhand press check using the front serrations. It does not seem difficult to keep the fingers away from the front of the muzzle. I tuck my fingers in and move my hand forward along the slide until I'm grasping the front serrations with thumb and curled forefinger, then check for a chambered round. I do this even when I'm pretty certain I chambered a round. Just a couple of times starting a stage with an empty chamber -- when I was "pretty certain" I had chambered a round -- made me keep this habit.

I just use the same method to chamber and check. Trigger finger laid along the side of the frame and a pinch grasp with the off hand's thumb and index fingers from the rear using the slide serrations. It may not look as cool, but it works and keeps my fingers/hands out of harm's way.

i don't chamber check (my gun works), but I definitely use the front cocking serrations for unloaded starts because it is faster.

The chamber check is not because there is doubt about the gun working. My gun works better than I do, that's for certain.

i don't chamber check (my gun works), but I definitely use the front cocking serrations for unloaded starts because it is faster.

The chamber check is not because there is doubt about the gun working. My gun works better than I do, that's for certain.

so you don't have confidence that you can seat a mag every time at LAMR?

I've only been shooting a few years, but I've yet to have a round not chamber at LAMR.

fwiw, I don't do a chamber check after reloading during the stage either.

Goody for you. I'll continue doing a chamber check as part of making ready. Not after reloads, of course.

Not sure what you're getting at, except maybe "I'm better than you."

You can have that little award all day long, if it helps with your self esteem.

so you don't have confidence that you can seat a mag every time at LAMR?

I've only been shooting a few years, but I've yet to have a round not chamber at LAMR.

fwiw, I don't do a chamber check after reloading during the stage either.

Mag springs do go bad. One of my new AR mags wouldn't feed properly, so when I ran the bolt, there was no round in the chamber. Same with my new Ruger MK II mag. Starting a Steel Challenge stage with an empty gun when you think it isn't empty tends to increase your stage time.

Not sure what you're getting at, except maybe "I'm better than you."

what i was getting at was i use the forward cocking serrations for something other than press checks. I'm sorry if that threatens you or hurts your feelings.

Mag springs do go bad. One of my new AR mags wouldn't feed properly, so when I ran the bolt, there was no round in the chamber. Same with my new Ruger MK II mag. Starting a Steel Challenge stage with an empty gun when you think it isn't empty tends to increase your stage time.

sounds like something to check and replace *before* a match.