Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How close to power factor do you run?

niroth81

one standard deviation at 165 PF.

What is "one std dev"?

means that 84% should be above acceptable threshold.

I like to

shoot at least 20 shots and have NONE of them below acceptable PF.

I shoot minimum 40 rounds over the chrono, throw out the highest and lowest,

Sounds like a good procedure, and I don't mean to prolong this discussion or argue with

you, but I'd never throw out the LOWEST. I always throw out all the others, and use

ONLY the LOWEST - for me, that IS the PF, IMHO. If I fire 20 shots, and the lowest is

below PF, I bump up the powder level:)

Sounds like a good procedure, and I don't mean to prolong this discussion or argue with

you, but I'd never throw out the LOWEST. I always throw out all the others, and use

ONLY the LOWEST - for me, that IS the PF, IMHO. If I fire 20 shots, and the lowest is

below PF, I bump up the powder level:)

Throwing out the highest and lowest help to make for a more meaningful average by reducing the susceptibility to measurement error. Ever get a reading on your chrono that doesn't make sense, like a 300fps read on a batch of ammo that's averaging 1200fps? I have and I know others who have too. I once had my chrono tell me that a 185gr bullet flew by at 22fps. Throwing out the highest AND lowest keeps the average where it should be and keeps those spurious readings from affecting things.

Honestly, I'm probably making a bigger deal out of it than I need too. It's just that this is how I was taught to handle data, so it's how I do it.

FWIW I also use IR light bars with my chrono and test at night. It makes it a bit more like the box and seems more consistent.

Edited by JonSnow

Limited loads are 170 pf in .40 major for local and major matches. For Open gun loads I strive for 172-173 to work the comp better, though at majors my Open loads always seem to chrono much higher than at home. Guess its the N105. Production SIG P226 gets 135 pf loads just to take steel down better.

In SS Major i always made sure to go at 170 using BE and never saw more than a small deviation at any match, at any temperature, at any elevation on any chrono except for one certain chronograph a few years ago.

I'll know next month how switching to N320 does at higher elevation. I'm not worried though.

Al

• 4 weeks later...

When I chrono a load with 125s, I want it to be between 1050 and 1080 fps. If any individual round from the ten round chrono sample produces a velocity of less than 1040 fps, that lot is relegated to practice ammo.....

For major matches I load in lots of 100, and chrono ten percent, i.e. wind up with 90 rounds that I can actually take to a major match per 100 loaded. It's extreme -- but I've never been bitten....

I use to run 171. I have found such a consistent formula with VV320 and Zero bullets--I can get away with 166 PF at Chrono.

1.18 OAL, Federal Match Primers, Zero 200 gr, ~4.4 gr VV320, various brass.

My chrono runs almost the same as match chronoman's chrono.

My latest 9mm "minor" load is making 149PF with a 135gr lead projectile. I'm looking at stepping up to major next year/season with a 357SIG, so I'm trying to get used to it early.

Shooting Open? Or IPSC (whose rules I don't know)?

...because Major in anything but Open division in USPSA requires at least a .40 caliber bullet.

I run about +10-12 for minor. I find the accuracy far outweighs the slight difference in recoil.

For Major, I typically ran about +3 or so. I wanted High PF once so I loaded a bit higher, and got beat there by 0.2 PF. I had someone bet me I could not run less than +3 for a year and make PF at all the matches. I shot for 0.5 over and I had PFs of 165.1, 165.3 and 165.2 at Chronos that year. I needed one more shot once and three more shots twice. Never needed the 7th. If you look at the math, you can play the game and get really close, but it is not worth it in reality as I can't tell the difference between 165 and 168, but I made $100.

My latest 9mm "minor" load is making 149PF with a 135gr lead projectile. I'm looking at stepping up to major next year/season with a 357SIG, so I'm trying to get used to it early.

Shooting Open? Or IPSC (whose rules I don't know)?

...because Major in anything but Open division in USPSA requires at least a .40 caliber bullet.

I'm shooting Standard Division (SD) in IPSC.

In Australia we can't use anything above .38 cal. for IPSC competitions by law, so that means 357SIG is the only way to score major in SD. In IPSC the 357SIG is specifically exempt from the .40 cal. minimum so that people from countries with similarly brain-damaged regulations to Australia can score major in SD.