Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Glasses Faq

kimel

7 hours ago, Naka16 said:

Anyone else have the lens “peeling” issues with Oakley? I had a pair of Bolle glasses that didn’t last more than a weekend before it started to peel on the inside. And it wasn’t caused by a scratch. Every Oakley pair I owned had this issue: tombstones, radar, flak jacket, polarized, prism, photochromic, non polarized, etc. I’ve owned a pair of arnette polarized glasses that were used daily and it didn’t have this issue. 

Switched to ranger phantoms which have been great(clay target shooting). 

I’ve had Various sets of Oakley’s the past 20 years and I’ve never had that issue. You must have some potent sweat! 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Malarky112 said:

I’ve had Various sets of Oakley’s the past 20 years and I’ve never had that issue. You must have some potent sweat! 

Must be that toxic sweat... lol. Not sure why the Arnettes lasted over 10 years used almost daily without being cared for. Talking with a Randolph rep, he said something to do with lens coating that some manufacturers use

• 1 month later...

I'm needing a new prescription for my shooting glasses, so I checked this thread. Great info here.

I have the Pilla Rx glasses. I can wear them all day and not notice them. The Rx insert works great as it's fully adjustable.

I highly recommend them.

https://pillasport.com/

Edited by Prange

• 1 year later...

Can anyone recommend single power RX lens/frame combo for -7.0 with Astigmatism?  I have shot with contacts all my life and now am considering RX shooting glasses but am struggling to find makers that can go up to my needed power/axis.

I'm leaning towards a single power lens instead of an insert (never tried an insert so maybe i'm off base) due to my RX and lack of peripheral vision.

Any suggestions and experiences welcome.

Thanks,

-BF

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

To date I always used the Pilla Panther X7 with clear lenses. I bought and tested the Hunters HD Gold specifically for the use on indoor ranges (not outdoors). After several months of testing I really prefer the Pilla over the Hunters HD Gold. I'm working on a review video.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Brisn is set up at most major matches and let's people try out his Hunters HD Gold glasses or every local I have been to someone is wearing them 

I have HD Gold for indoors and prefer them over clear.  Just got a pair w/HD Ruby and am surprised how dark they are.  Even outside on a bright sunny day.  Haven't shot with them yet.  Both pairs are Rx lenses in Oakley frames.  I didn't care for any of the Hunters HD frames.

Edited by ltdmstr

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have Oakley frames with prescription lenses in the color Oakley suggested for shooting sports, a kind of gold prism.  Outside they are awesome in all light conditions.  Several of my friends have had Hunter's Gold prescription lenses installed into Oakley frames due to a personal preference.  

Looking forward to seeing Hunter's Gold at one of my local matches to see what the lense options are, I believe they make a lense that goes from light to dark depending upon the level of brightness that I am very interested in.

• 1 month later...

I have a pair of Pilla x7 with the 98ar almost clear lenses. 

What is recommended as alternative lenses colors for bright Sunny days? 

I shoot idpa, so I’m looking at cardboard mud and grass. 

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I 'm trying out a new pair of Hunter HDS Ruby glasses. The first think I noticed is the ruby lenses filter out blues and greens. Both appear black. A local range had a home-grown SC type event with different colored plates. The green ones were like a black hole and blended into the background. I also noticed because of this, green traffic lights are also filtered out and will appear to never turn on...lol

On 4/20/2019 at 6:04 AM, Butterpuc said:

Are there any current Rudy Project Discount Codes?  I need to purchase some new lenses.

Hunters HD sent out certs to every USPSA and SCSA club that renewed this year. I think the Hunters are objectively a clearer lens and mine have held up for 5 years now. 

You might shoot them an email about new lenses. They have a massive facility and can do prescription and clears in addition to the standard Gold and Ruby.