Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is your carry platform same as competition platform?

uhcoog1

Just getting back into USPSA, but in the past I've tried to stay consistent between competition and carry. Next year I'm going back to a 2011 for competition, so I've got a 9mm 2011 Commander in the works right now for a carry gun. Trace's 9mm SVI was the inspiration for my new carry gun.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find I carry more often if I carry something very small. I went to the Ruger LC9 and I love it. Put a laser on it and it works pretty well. I shoot a 2011 so it is definitely a different feeling when I grab it.

Just getting back into USPSA, but in the past I've tried to stay consistent between competition and carry. Next year I'm going back to a 2011 for competition, so I've got a 9mm 2011 Commander in the works right now for a carry gun. Trace's 9mm SVI was the inspiration for my new carry gun.

I shoot a XDm 5.25 in competition and my carry is a XDm 3.8c. I actually started the whole thing with a XDSD .40 S&W as my carry. I liked it so well that when the XDm 3.8 came out I bought one in .40. I liked it a lot and shot it well. I took a few classes with it and began with it in USPSA Production. When the 5.25 came out I bought one and retired the 3.8 to the nightstand with a Surefire light on it. Then I bought the 3.8c (Compact) for carry. I also picked up a very lightly used .40 XDm 4.5 for range and competition back-up. I have a 9mm conversion barrel for the 4.5 so it gets a lot of use. To answer your question, yes. Even though I have many pistols and revolvers I choose to have my carry and HD (home defense) guns on the same platform as my competition gun. When I grab my carry piece, or nightstand gun at three in the morning in the dark while half still asleep, I want muscle memory to take over and leave me less stuff to worry about while taking care o’ bidness!

My GP6 in double action. Which is why I never will switch to a single only / safe action, nothing against Glocks, I am just used to revolvers for the same reason.

I am looking for a Gp5 or P11 (GP brand, obviously), for carry purposes.

Currently shoot a CZ shadow and carry a CZ PCR or a J-frame. When I shoot my Single stack I'll still probably carry those guns as well. If there is more manipulation to the carry gun than what you shoot more you might want to look very hard at your carry gun.

Corey, we will run J-frames at some Steel Challenge matches at C-ville (again) next year. Come on up.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll break from the mold. I compete with an Edge, carry either a Sig P6 or Sig P228. The only difference I notice is the first DA trigger pull. My thumb lands on the slide catch the same way it lands on the safety of a 1911/2011, grip is close enough, sights are sights, mags are mags. I definitely shoot the Edge better, but I am not dissatisfied with my performance with my carry rig. I just moved and haven't shot a match in over a month, so I've been spending more time at the range with my P228, and I've been shooting well.

I recently spent some time with a good instructor and learned how to shoot my SP101 properly. I need more practice but it will make its way into the carry rotation. I'll never shoot revolver at a match.

5" 1911 or Steyr MA1 or M&P or a Ruger GP100 for games.

Usually a Kahr PM40, sometimes a J-frame and rarely a 1911 Commander for carry.

None of my game guns are used as carry guns. I don't have problems trying to use a speed loader in a 1911, I don't reach for the thumb safety on a revolver, or forget about the thumb safety on a 1911, either in training, practice, or matches. I don't reach for a magazine to load my tube shotgun, or try to stuff shotshells in my AR. I may have problems being on time or executing a stage like I want, but working the gun in my hand the right way doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Edited by ben b.

I compete with 2011s, 1911, and M&P's. I usually carry a h&k p2000, or an LCR/LCP. That being said I still carry a 1911 at times. I think being proficient with your weapon is the most important thing. For instance, I dry fire with my 2011 and 1911s more than my carry guns so operating the safteys are is second nature both on and off. just my two cents.

Compete with a 625 or K-Frame, carry a hammerless J-frame, or a chopped down 3" M1917 Brazilian, with spurless hammer. Not much difference in how any of these shoot or operate, other than just having 5 shots in the J-frame.