Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is your carry platform same as competition platform?

uhcoog1

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Competing with STI's now days and don't carry like I should. I keep a J Frame handy and a G19 that I should wear more, I would live to carry a commander 1911 in 9mm but 9 rounds just don't seem like enough with that platform in My hand

the STI's hold 20-23 rounds and that spoils Me.

I try to do this as much as possible. I conceal a block 19 gen4, 23 gen4 or 30S most days, in shorts I use an XDS 9 3.3, and for Competition I use a Glock 34 gen 4 or a Glock 17Gen 4, and a 1911. I carry every day and I shoot at least once a week. I try to shoot all of my cary guns at least once a month and the rest of the time I am practicing my comp guns. Probably shoot 700 -1k rounds a month on average through various pistols.

• 2 weeks later...

I carry a Grand Power P1, shoot a K100 X-Trim in matches.

what it really comes down to, are you completely comfortable ( sub conscious) with your carry gun it takes a good bit to be that way with say, a glock and a 2011 at the same time, some folks have no issues between the two.

My carry guns run around a 4-4.5 pound trigger and it's relatively crisp and smooth until that point.

Do i think it's essential, NO, do I think it maximizes your training time.. yes.

• 4 weeks later...

I carry a 75 Compact (total gem), and compete with a Dan Wesson Valor at present. Next year I'll get back in the 9 game with an SP01 of some stripe. That said, I don't have too much issue going between a my 2.25# comp trigger that moves like a millimeter, my 12# or whatever DA or my 5# creepy SA. That said, a year ago I had problems going between my game gun Glock trigger and my more or less stock carry trigger on my carry Glock. Since refining my trigger press I can pretty much shoot anything reasonably accurate and fast out of the gate, since it's all fundamental.

And despite what Mas Ayoob has contributed to the common knowledge of handgunning, I think that some of what he advocates has started to move into the realm of "thats the way we used to do things".

Edited by ArrDave

It kind of used to be, in that I'd carry my G19 and compete with the G35. They had little in common beyond both being Glocks- my 35 was raced out and my 19 was stock.

I don't notice any loss in proficiency with my G19 now that I shoot an STI though.

The root of the issue might be that it's important to train with your carry gun, and action shooting is probably pretty great training for it, so why not compete with the carry gun? But if you compete with something else, training in your off-match time with your carry gun is something you should still do.

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot action Pistol with a stock Glock 34, except for the sights.

Daily Carry, 90% of the time, is a Glock 19 or 26. Functionally the same, but a huge difference in the sight radius. Lately I have been looking closer to purchasing a 17 to be my EDC.

• 4 weeks later...

Competition : STI Spartan

Duty: Colt Series 70 Commander

BUG: Sig P938

Muscle memory is a big thing for me. I look at competition as an extension of work. By treating it the same and running the same platform it is a smooth transition to the street.

I just picked up a G17 gen 4 with pro i dots on it. Gonna run it in the action pistol I participate in, and also make it my carry gun over the G19. Used to shoot the matches with the 34.

Edited by 34shooter

When I left the IDPA match yesterday, I topped off my mags (from 8 rounds for CCP division to 17 for carry) and was ready to go. However, since it had stopped raining, I changed my conceallment garment to a polar fleece from the raincoat that I had been wearing previously.

Yes, switched to open recently but same cocked and locked.

Competition: Open 38sc ( my avatar)

Carry 1: STI VIP .40 (don't carry very often, too bulky, com-tac infidel holster)

Carry 2: Sig Sauer P938 (most of the time, com-tac infidel holster)

Bug: Colt XSP (De Santis nemesis pocket holster)

As you can see, only single actions for me...

Edited by dvc4you

I shoot in both IDPA and USPSA. I have three different guns I use for carry. I have a Glock 19 Gen 4, M&P .40 cal. full size, and Ruger LCR .357. All are carried, but at different times and depending were I'm going. I do at times compete with a Glock 34 Gen 4 and M&P Pro 9mm, but most of the time with a 1911 or 2011. Most of my weekly practice is with my competition guns, but at least once or twice a month I work solely with all of my carry guns.